on 24 August 2013
This is a book about pain and torture throughout the world and throughout the ages. It goes into quite detailed and graphic accounts of the methods used and the effects it had on those poor unfortunate souls who were victim of it. Some of the ways that have been created to not only cause agonising pain to a fellow human but also how to prolong that pain to get the desired effect is quite disturbing. Some torture was used as a punishment, some to extract confessions out of people (who would be in such torment that they would end up confessing to literally anything the inquisitor/torturer would tell them to), and some torture was inflicted out of a sick depraved lust to see others suffer. Some of the accounts in here are truly awful and sickening. Not for the squeamish or fainthearted. However, it is a vary interesting read.

A note on the kindle version: no proplems whatsoever.
on 3 September 2013
How can one person/persons think up such horrors to inflict on other human beings is beyond me,it shames the human race that these gruesome cruelties were carried out with such gusto and enthusiasm by the perpetrators, as the book states we have become numb to such horrors because we are told by those in authority it is necessary to keep criminals in check and protect society from wrongdoers,but does it? Can we really call ourselves civilized?
on 20 September 2013
It's a bit of a shame that the book did not delve into how those inflicting the use of the instruments dealt with the horrors they saw every day.
What is rather disturbing is is what is described in the beginning is still be used to this day in parts of the world. It also proves that physical punishment does not stop crime, but crimes seems to increase.
on 4 December 2014
ok well I don't 'love' it - it's a book about torture, for goodness' sakes ;) but it's clear, well-set out and has a good rhythm to the writing. Not too text-book-ish, which I appreciated. I learned a lot about history from it, too!
on 3 October 2013
The had me cringing from the first to the last page but in reading it provoked thoughts about many aspects of the goings on in the world I had some ideas that some torture was acceptable if it saved many lives from say a terrorist attack but through reading this it has changed my mind totally and that in most cases confession under duress under most circumstances not truthful.
on 10 March 2013
Brilliant book, contains so many shocking things that i didnt even know went on back then!My 15yr old loves it!
on 31 March 2013
I enjoyed this book from start to Finnish. This demonstrates the levels through history that people were willing to go to . Very good balance of history and description without being over the top in ether direction.
on 18 May 2012
I wanted something to read out of then normal realm & this appeared to fit the bill.

Once I picked this up I could not put it down & it goes to show how truly barbaric the human race really has been & still is.

The wife did not want to listen when I started reading passages out aloud as she found them too graphic & disturbing & was I suppose too far removed from her romantic novels.

For those with an interset in history with a leaning to the gruesome - This is the book for you
on 23 August 2013
Very interesting and indeed harrowing account of the horrors inflicted by men on humanity through the ages. How did we get this bad and still survive. Millions have died and continue to do so,in so called civilized countries !. Very scary indeed. Thanks
on 18 July 2016
I have not read this yet but the pictures are enough to know I am going to enjoy it. It doesn't look like it's a book for the faint hearted. Great price and quality. Delivery quick