Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

on 10 November 2011
House Histories is a pleasure to read with a wealth of history and background information behind each property. This book details the changes of ownership, occupations and human histories to give an engaging and insightful view behind a broad selection of properties and their former occupants.

Well worth a read and an inspiration to find out more about the life and times of houses in our local area.
on 10 November 2011
House Histories is a fantastic book. It isn't a book about buildings, but about the people who lived within them, the fascinating lives of all the many and different people who have called the houses in the book home.

I was fascinated by stories of the individuals and families who lived inside each of the houses. There is such a wide selection of houses, from little cottages to big homes, you get such an interesting cross section of life in the UK across the centuries. It really made me interested in finding out who had lived in my own home before me!

This isn't a book about architectural history, it's about human history, who people were and how they lived. Really fun book.
on 22 August 2012
If you like history or architecture or you're maybe a little bit nosey about celebrities - even dead ones - you'll love this book. Melanie Backe-Hansen, who researched most of this on behalf of a posh London estate agent (an obvious innovation you'd think, but a great idea nonetheless), has produced a handsome and fascinating book which gives the histories of several dozen dwellings around the country. They range from cottages though country manors to swanky terraced properties in London's grandest squares. And in date from medieval times right up to inter-war Gropius (I'm not a fan, just pointing out range!). The book is beautifully produced in three column format and extremely rich in pictures: interior and exterior photos; portraits; documents; and best of all from my point of view - sections of lovely old maps. If you fancy having a go yourself at the house history thing, the opening chapter gives an excellent introduction to how you can go about it, what documents you need, where and how to find them, etc. I really enjoyed this book and I'm certain I'll return to it.
on 6 August 2012
Having always been fascinated by the social history of the houses we live in (I write as someone who was determined to buy our current , little old brickmakers house because of the marks of the hobnail boots in some of the bricks around the fireplace...) this book went straight on to my 2011 Christmas list. It is a great book to dip into for pleasure, or read with greater concentration to help you learn more about the homes we sometimes take for granted. They have stories to tell, and Melanie Backe-Hanson offers many wonderful houses the opportunity to shine. There is also a fabulous reading list at the back which really helps you focus on particular areas of interest, something I have used in my researches into homes in Islington.

Would heartily recommend this to anyone interested in social history and it would be a great addition to any reference library.
on 7 August 2012
I bought this book as a birthday present for my mother and the report back has been excellent; the information is well researched and beautifully illustrated. As well as including properties close to my parental home the book also features lovely and interesting houses throughout the UK.

I can highly recommend this book to anyone even moderately interested in residential architecture and social history.
on 2 August 2012
Bought this book some time ago and I have already read it twice. Fascinating and intriguing secrets to be had behind our front doors. Each chapter is more intriguing than the last and gives our humble homes real personality.
on 10 April 2014
All architectural books are interesting and informative and this is one of the better ones. Thank you very much, condition is very good.
on 25 June 2013
This book is fascinating. It's nice to dip into when you have a spare few minutes and you can immerse yourself in a bit of history.
on 14 January 2016
Lovely book and great service and value for money
on 7 July 2015