on 25 June 2017
First things First: I need to address the 2008 Paperback Torc edition:
Good Lord, the Torc edition has so many typos! I, at first, was laying the blame on the author, thinking that this was just some self-publishing amateur that couldn’t be bothered to proof-read her work, and the Daily Telegraph praise was either a lie or that reviewer was very forgiving – but (nope) Nora Lofts has been dead since 1983, was a bestseller in her time, and this book was originally published in 1969. As luck would have it I found a first edition at a boot sale for 25p, and purchasing that and comparing the two editions it's clear the fault lies entirely with Torc. For goodness sake, Chapter two beginnings with a misspelling of the country (“Denamark” – really?!) and a clearly missing ‘and’ on the blurb, not to mention characters names are spelt differently from time-to-time. The frequency did seem to lessen further in - unless I was becoming blind to it. Finally, it’s not just the typos, it’s also the layout that is messed up.

Yet, despite all that…
It’s a story that grew on me as it went on, mostly because it took some getting used to, as it is written in the omniscient 3rd person (the ‘Godlike’ perspective where you dip in and out of multiple characters minds), a writing style that was more common back when this book was first published than it is today. At first, the number of minor characters that get an internal voice felt a bit cluttered, but those seemingly useless threads do weave together as the momentum picks up. It also packs a lot of story in those 280 pages and doesn’t fluff it with pointless scenes that we can instead interpret through the interactions of the characters; on that note, it’s tasteful in its descriptions, no ‘bodice-ripping’ sex scenes here, wasting paragraphs with titillating details – sometimes less is more.
All in all, it’s not the best historical fiction I’ve read, but it was still very readable, once the momentum picked up and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a quick, tasteful book: just get an earlier edition or the Kindle version, which, judging from the preview, hasn’t got the same problems as the Torc paperback.
on 8 November 2012
Caroline Matilda, youngest sister of George III, was somebody I'd never heard of. So why read a novel about her? Well, I know from reading others of her books, that Norah Lofts is capable of creating an enthralling tale from threads of historical fact, and I was not mistaken in reading "The Lost Queen". The reprint has typographical errors aplenty, but this does not detract from the story. Princess (Queen) Caroline marries the already-eccentric king of Denmark and pays the price (not that it is really her choice to marry him, you understand!) Her difficulties become manifold and only her spiritual and mental resolve carry her through. There is tragedy here, but romance too, as Caroline discovers what true love really means. The writing, as one would expect, is of a consistently high standard, lacking perhaps that ultimate breathtaking turn of phrase which makes one re-read it, and which one finds (rarely) in The King's Pleasure as in a couple of Philippa Gregory's more inspired offerings. Reading this gave me a great deal of enjoyment.
on 11 June 2015
It's been many years since I read anything by Norah Lofts and, until I started on this book, I'd forgotten just how skilled a writer she was. The Kindle edition was slightly marred by some OCR errors which really should have been spotted at the proof-reading stage: 'Knut' being rendered as 'kraut', for example. However, in the end, these did not spoil the overall reading experience for this is an absorbing tale. The characters come to life on the page and I found myself empathising with poor Caroline, bartered like a piece of cheap jewellery in the great Royal Marriage Marketplace. Fifteen years old without even the life experiences of her own maid to fall back upon, shipped off to Denmark to marry her crazy first cousin; faced with a step-mother-in-law who loathes her and plots against her; subjected to abuse and humiliation and forbidden ever to speak her own language - how could she feel anything other than wretched and was it not inevitable that she should fall for the first presentable man to treat her kindly?
Ms Lofts has cleverly woven checkable fact with well-written fiction and the finished product is almost seamless and has left me wanting to find out more. For instance, what ultimately was the fate of Princess Louise Augusta? To my mind, this book is a cut above the works of Philippa Carr and Alison Weir and has made me want to go back and re-read some old favourites.
on 10 November 2008
This is the first novel I've read by Norah Lofts.

The story is about Princess Caroline Matilde of England, the sister to King George III. The Princess was only 15yrs when she was married to King Christian VII, the king of Denmark. Both Royal families knew about him being disturbed but they still let this young girl marry into a life of hell.

Though this book is well written and her descriptive writing is excellent, I still found this book slow moving which got a little boring at times.

Although the book was a good read, it's not a book I'd read again.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 November 2012
I couldnt put this book down. Loved every bit of it and paid nothing as downloaded for free onto my kindle. This is a great way to introduce you to the author as I will be paying to read more of her books.If you like Philippa Gregory then get this book.
on 14 December 2012
Loved this book and couldn't put it down, kept me engrossed to the end. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I chose to ignore spelling mistakes and misplaced punctuation marks and just enjoyed the book.
on 27 January 2017
Going back to Norah Lofts has been a treat. An excellent writer, descriptive and keeps to the historical facts as she weaves her story. An excellent book.
on 31 January 2014
this book was a little overpriced but a great story
well written
much praise and very informative not a bad purchase at all
on 30 April 2014
I am still reading this book and enjoying immensely. It make me feel gratefuuuul that I was not born into royalty.
on 22 November 2015
Not as entertaining as I had hoped despite Norah Lofts literary expertise.