on 23 May 2015
There is nothing in the book your average person should not know. I find it is explaining the obvious to, let's be fair, the people who should understand the mechanics and that's why they are interested in investing. ie, slow but steady and don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you think there is a magic formula you'd be wrong. It just reinforces the basics and offers links to other material which you may not have already heard of, eg, candlestick graphs. I think, if you can understand what is written you don't need the book. If you don't understand what is written the book is no good for you.
on 30 September 2003
This book gives you all the info you need to get started saving for your child's future -- the best way to invest, how to choose a savings account, and which investment products are best avoided. Best of all, it's short and fun to read.
on 1 February 2011
I cannot belief this is out of print - it's a good background for anyone considering investment in the stock market.
on 6 October 2000
Having recently experienced the joy of becoming a father and the trauma of seeing my wife give birth it's important that my daughter, and indeed any future children that we have, has a good future ahead of them. My daughter will get plenty of love and, more importantly our collection of Elvis Presley LP's, but this may not be enough. When she goes to university or buys her first car and house, as much as we adore her, we don't want her lifestyle eating into our pensions and savings, leaving us with a debt-ridden retirement to look forward to. As an employee of The Motley Fool, I was keen to get my hands on this book.
I discovered that if I start investing now, by the time my child is 18, I can pay for her university fees, pay for the car, and maybe even pay for a deposit on her first house. I like the sound of this. If I keep on saving until she reaches the grand old age of 60, she can be worth as much as £2m, provided the stock market continues to grow at the same rate that it has in the past. Tell me more, I thought. The book also highlights that is vital that you invest in the right place.
National Savings do not produce a high enough return and neither do premium bonds. As for the lottery, well that's money you never see a return on unless you're very, very lucky. With-profit-bonds are another undesirable area as they are simply another form of endowment policy. We all know that many millions of people have had to increase monthly payments on their endowment policy because their returns have turned out to be less than anticipated. And I loved the illustration of this using the conversation with Mr Chargetoomuch.
As for banks, forget about them. The great British bank is another no go area due to low interest rates and excessive charges. Building societies perform much better. For example compare Nationwide's Smart2Save account offering 6.9% to an equivalent account from Barclays offering just 1.5%. So I earn over 4 times more interest with the building society. Excellent. Building societies offer a safe environment for growth and easily-accessible money, but what about long term growth?
The book suggests the stock market. I was suddenly reminded of the Disney cartoons I watched as a kid when the character's eyes would pop out of his head in disbelief. Why should I invest in the stockmarket? It's too volatile. It hasn't really grown that much in the last year, has it? My money isn't safe? If I invest this year in the stockmarket, it can slump next year. At least a building society will keep growing slowly but surely.
But the book teaches you about investing for the long-term. That's the difference. Not one or two years but fifteen, twenty years or even longer. Then you can see a fantastic return. Yes, stock markets can fall, but since the early twenties, the stock market has grown at an average rate 12.2% per year. No other type of savings vehicle can touch that. But you need time. Day trading is a waste of hard-earned money. Taking a long-term view is the strategy to achieve real wealth.
I'm given examples, of what to do and what not to do. I'm given example of other Fools and how they have learned from their mistakes. The best ways ahead are tracker funds. Why? Low charges but rates of return consistently higher than typical managed funds.
That sounds like the kind of thing I want for my child. And let's not forget ISA's, and picking stock from blue chip companies. The book says we should learn about choosing the right companies and investing through an execution-only broker. A full-service stockbroker can be tempted to trade too much because he gets commissions each time he does so.
There are many books out there on finance, but all the best books seem to be from The Motley Fool. In less than 200 pages, the world of finance is not only made simple, it has changed my views on just putting a little money aside each month for my daughter in a designated bank account. In less than a few hours, I have learned more than years of reading articles and speaking to IFA's. So my daughter's future is now looking rosy.
All I need to worry about now is her growing up, asking for pocket money, going out late, bring home new boyfriends, buying clothes, getting into the wrong company and keeping my sanity.
0Comment| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 September 2000
A Plain speaking book with real, practical advice on how to make great use of the years of investing that you can give to your child. Hopefully this book can have as much positive impact on my children's lives as The Motley Fool has had on mine.
on 6 October 2000
I have small children, and this book has given me the confidence to do what I knew I really should be doing - investing in the stock market and making them financially independent.
Yet another Fool book gets added to my book shelf!