Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 April 2011
This a an amazingly-well designed and very well written book.
I've tried a couple of the recipes and they tasted brilliant, but in all honesty, I plan on keeping the book away from the kitchen - don't want to get the white covered in bolognese sauce as this is a true collectible.
If you love minimalist design and Italian food, this is the book for you. Highly recommended.
on 16 January 2011
I would return this book for a refund if it had not been so cheap (the cost of postage back to amazon would be a large percentage of the price). 1) It purports to go through and show you all the different shapes of pasta. It does list about 100, but these are inexplicably illustrated in very dark and heavy ink prints - in most illustrations it is impossible to get a real idea of what the pasta actually looks like, not a 3D in any case. Why not use pictures of actual pasta?? Maybe too expensive to add colour printed pictures or do the entire book in a glossy paper. 2) Very limited and quite standard recipes. (not just the sauces or fillings but also just standard pasta dough - what about flavoured/coloured doughs - e.g. spinach - or wine pasta (substitute half the eggs with white wine))

I own a bit over 300 cookbooks now and this one I would rank very close to the bottom. There are many more pure pasta cookbooks that are much better (e.g. The Essential Pasta Cookbook - it only illustrates 50 pastas (I counted), but they are clear colour photographs so you can actually see what the pasta looks like). Even Italian cookbooks not focused on pasta do a better job and definitely give you better recipes.

The fact that this book is touted by celebrity chefs must be down to personal contacts of the authors or the talents of a good PR at the publishers.

So if you want to add a cheap cookbook with free delivery to your collection, by all means, but if you have more than a handfull of cookbooks, you probably will not be using it all that much.

I don't write a lot of reviews, but was so disappointed by this that I was moved to submit one
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2014
Superb regional sauces paired with the traditional options of pasta types. Every recipe so far tried has been excellent. This will take pride of place in the pasta section !
on 7 May 2015
Great for what it was but limited and hoped for actual instructions on how to make the pasta shapes. Interesting but not really cook book unless you want sauces galore.
on 3 March 2016
So so. I had hoped for more on the geometry and less on recipes but I see that most people will want to eat the stuff rather than just look at it.
on 19 April 2013
Great book for anyone who loves pasta. Really well written and beautifully illustrated. Arrived when expected. Really pleased with service.
on 14 January 2012
love your pasta? then love this book as it is fun and interesting and makes a great gift for foodie friends or yourself!
on 5 August 2014
Wonderful book. The recipes really work and are delicious - best spinach and ricotta ravioli I have had.
on 31 March 2015
I can't read any further a book about pasta when I find a recipe with ketchup. I am referring to Alfabeto with Ketchup. Authors should be put in jail for the rest of their life. Anyway don't take this review too seriously. At least what I can save are the nice illustrations.
on 12 September 2011
Do not be fooled when buying this book it is not so much as a cook book but more a book on the science of cooking pasta and what pasta goes with what sauce. I am not saying this book has no recipes it has recipes usually a couple of recipes per type of pasta, having only tried a few recipes I cannot give you an in depth review of each however I can say that the recipes I have tried are more aimed at the family cook rather than the cook who intends to impress everyone with his gourmet style cooking.

the book is laid out in such a way that you can pick it up and flick to a page and delve into a slight history of that pasta and information on it, on top of this it is definitely one of the best presented books I have set my eyes upon and is a book every cook should own regardless of skill.