on 29 March 2017
Exactly what I was Loking for.👍🏻
on 4 December 2005
I have owned this book for over a year now and it is the most used cookbook on my shelf. Every time I cook a soup from it, I get compliments and empty bowls. Most of the recipes are quick and simple to make and if you don't have the exact ingredients, still tend to work well. As a final bonus, my children's vegetable intake has doubled since starting to cook these soups. A must buy!
on 8 January 2006
I have owned this book for... ooooh... well it seems like forever but I'm guessing since 1996! This is esily the most used recipe book on my shelf, and I have a few. Never have I offered a soup from this book without a chorus of praise, I've altered some of the recipes, I object to buying a chicken just to make stock for a soup for example, so I've used Chicken Oxo. Where I've made a predominantly vegetable soup which has asked for Chicken Stock I've used Green Oxo. So appreciative have my friends been of the soups from this book that I must have bought 6 or 7 copies of it just as presents. Buy it, use it, love it... but be adventurous and change the odd thing here and there and see what you think of the alterations, the book even has a grid at the back for you to record the changes you have made and your verdict on the outcome.
on 7 February 2005
We now live on soup, and almost always home-made - thanks to this excellent book! The recipes are often easy to follow, and there are things for all occasions and tastes - including chocolate soup... Wouldn't be without it!
on 16 August 2008
I've had this book (the older edition) for almost 10 years now and I'm still using it. The recipes always work perfectly, the short little stories over each recipe are fun to read and I've never made any soup from this or the other two books without people asking for second, third and in one case even fourth helpings (and most of the time the soup was supposed to be the starter!). Normally, I make at least double the quantities because of that. Can you say more to show just how yummy the recipes are? This definitely is a book I couln't live without. Everybody should have it!
on 5 November 2003
I love this book! I am an avid fan of CG soups anyway and rarely buy other brands, and while this book offers recipes of the CG soups that are usually on offer, it also has loads more fantastic, exotic and, in some cases highly unusual, recipes. I will be busy soup-making for the foreseeable future! Well done again, Covent Garden Soup!
on 11 January 2007
I can only say that any foodie will be delighted and inspired by the soups in the book. You can take the theme and develop it and produce tailor made specials to suit you and your family. My favorite is the spicy peanut soup, it is a real winner. My best tip is to make a large pot of stock and freeze in meal size bags. then when you want to make a soup it only takes a short while with not too much preparation. My children love the soups and keep trying to persuade us to try new ones.

A real winner!
on 6 December 2001
I've sent copies of this book as gifts to all foodie family and friends including my chef son in San Francisco, where it's a fave rave. Superb recipes, easy to follow, friendly style, wish the pages wiped clean easier ....
on 1 April 1999
As you'd expect these guys know everything there is to know about soup. Whatever ingredient you've got lurking in your fridge, they've got an excellent recipe which uses it!
on 19 January 2010
Being a bit of a hoarder of cookery books, I was very happy to receive this and the purple new covent garden book this Christmas. I have made three soups so far from this one (I will be making another three this week!) I have always loved making soups but found the kids rather less than receptive. After trying these recipes my two year old girl asked for more!!
This book is great because there is a lot of variety from Carrot and Coriander (the New Covent Garden stalwart!) to sweet potato and orange. The celery and potato soup with cheese is a real winner! These are, without doubt, the best soups I have ever made.
A lot of these soups take between 30 minutes and an hour (prep and cooking time) and they are not at all labour-intensive.
I do agree with some reviewers that some recipes are more elaborate or have rather grander names than your average soup but that just makes them great for a more filling meal with some crusty bread: lamb tagine soup, mussel, red pepper and tomato etc...
The ring binder design is great for the work tops and the only down side is the "handwriting" style which maybe tricky for some to read.
I will be ordering the other books in the series very soon!!!