Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 July 2017
I loved it laughed, smiled and cried throughout one of my favourite films now my favourite book must read for any hopeless romantic
on 2 April 2017
Great condition.
on 23 June 2004
This book has to be one of the best books i ever read in my life. I thought the film was great and boy was i in for a surprise when i read the book its 10 times better than the film. This book is one of the only books that ever made me cry its an AMAZING book and i recommend that you read it if you don't your missing out on something truly great.
on 9 December 2011
Ok, I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not typically a huge Nicholas Sparks fan. However I was really pleasantly surprised with this particular novel.
In some of Sparks' other books the romance is a little dramatic and OTT for my taste. In "A Walk to Remember" however we have a simple but sweet love story between two high school sweethearts that are so great together that any cliche moments in the book are bearable.
Landon and Jamie start out as an unlikely couple, he is the popular kid in school and she is the bible - toting minister's daughter. But when they end up going to the school homecoming dance together both of their lives take an unexpected turn.
I really loved the character of Jamie, I really wish more female characters in books were like this. She is religious, she does charity work and is happy to be different from the other kids. She doesn't obsess over boys but wants to fall in love and get married in a church. I have to say I enjoyed reading about this very original teenage girl.
I thought Landon made a great narrator too. He's just a typical young guy until Jamie turns his world around and his voice in the novel is honest and relatable.
Of corse it wouldn't be a Nicholas Sparks novel without a weepy moment or two and don't worry you won't be disappointed there!
This book was recommended to me by a friend as a great summer read and that's exactly what it is. It's easy and enjoyable to read, it will make you smile and cry (but not in a thoroughly depressed way!) It might not change your life but it's fun, if a little bittersweet, so go on and indulge in a little comfort reading!
on 3 May 2005
This book is simply somthing else. I had originally watched the film and was touched by it and so decided to pick up the book. I am not a great reader, and even a book of this size could take me some time to read, however once I started into the story I could not stop. In the 4 hours of reading I had went through laughter, excitement, sadness and tears. I would reccomend this book to anyone of any age or sex, who has some spare time to read some very moving words.
on 14 December 2012
`A Walk to Remember' is one of those novels that I can unapologetically admit I know inside and out. In fact, this was the first Nicholas Sparks novel that caught my attention, after having viewed the movie of the same name starring Mandy Moore and Shane West. I have forever been a huge Mandy Moore fan and after I watched said movie, I had to get my hands on the book that inspired it. There is no doubt that there is quite some difference between the two, and this is partly due to the nature of the target audience the two formats are reaching out to. However, the foundations of this amazing tale are still the same.
The reason why this novel has touched me so is that I was diagnosed with aplastic anaemia, an autoimmune disorder that has affected my bone marrow (in a similar way to leukaemia) at exactly the same age as the lead character, Jamie Sullivan, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia. Seeing the film really helped me to realise that I was most certainly not alone with my condition and here was something I could relate to. After reading the book, Sparks' novel really helped me to put my life into context and to share my experience with those who have been in similar situations, whilst spreading the word of this rare condition that has greatly affected my life.
The novel itself is based on Sparks' own observations within his family life, and Jamie Sullivan is said to be based on his sister, who went through a similar tale but ultimately passed away. As the preface promises, `first you will smile, then you will cry', which is no bad thing. I am not going to go in to too much detail surrounding the plot of the novel as I believe a lot of people reading this review will either already be familiar with it, and for those who aren't it isn't something worth spoiling. Several themes and messages pervade throughout the book, including a sense of Christian kinship, growing up, forgiveness and, ultimately, love. `A Walk to Remember' is an unforgettable coming-of-age tale that will undoubtedly make you cry, laugh and beg for more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 October 2007
Landon Carter is now 57 years old and he is telling his love story from when he was a senior in high school. He still remembers the events of something that he thought was just a friendship as if it was yesterday.

Jamie Sullivan was a minister's daughter, who wore boring brown sweaters every day, always tied her hair up in a bun, and always had her Bible with her. She is the girl that you would think of when you would imagine the person who gets made fun of in high school. She had never been on a date in her life, and Landon was one of the more popular boys in his high school.

Landon didn't have a date for homecoming, so he decided that he would ask Jamie because she was too sweet to say no and wouldn't have a date yet. When he asked, she said "promise me that you won't fall in love with me."

After a horrible night at homecoming, Jamie asked Landon to play the male lead in an upcoming Christmas play that was performed every year, and was a very big deal in the town. Landon didn't really want to, but Jamie talked him into it because she was playing the lead female and her father had written the play -- and Jamie wanted the play to be very special. After about two months of constant rehearsals, the play was performed and the town knew that this had been the best year ever. And Landon had to admit that it went well, and that he was falling in love with dorky Jamie. But there is a secret that Jamie was hiding from Landon. What could it possibly be? And why did she tell Landon not to fall in love with her?

This is another powerful love story from an author that makes you believe in love. Read this amazing novel to find out the secrets of Landon and Jamie.

Reviewed by: Taylor Rector
on 17 January 2009
Having already seen the film of the same name, I was interested to see how the book would measure up, particularly given Sparks's impressive reputation in the `weepie' genre.

At first, I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. The large print and slightly clunky first-person narrative grated a bit and, at the opening of the novel, gave the impression that it would turn out to be, at best, a poorly-written teen-angst story.

However, this impression quickly dissolved as the novel progressed, and it became clear that this was, in fact, a reflection of the protagonist's youthful awkwardness rather than a narrative fault. The story is recounted by Langdon Carter, a middle-aged man telling the story of his relationship with his wife. At seventeen, Jamie Sullivan is a very good, rather holier-than-thou minister's daughter who spends all her time reading the Bible, rescuing animals and helping orphans while her peers make fun of her. Langdon, however, gets to know her better and, despite himself, falls in love - only to find out that she is struggling with a terrible secret which will shatter life as he knows it.

Of course I expected it to be sentimental; what I didn't expect is that despite knowing the plot already, by the end of the novel I was crying as if my heart would break. An excellent, moving and inspiring tale of love and strength that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to incurable romantics.
on 6 April 2008
I bought this book one Saturday having watched the movie for the second time the night before. That night I read this book in 4 hours, going to bed in the middle of the night because I just couldn't put it down. I am not a big fan of reading novels but this had me hooked. Of course it is different from the movie; more detail and set in a different era (50's). A wonderful piece of work, giving the reader something to think about after every page.

The character of Jamie Sullivan is said to be based on Nicholas Sparks sister, and for me, Jamie is a very strong character and really challenges me to be a better person without making me feel guilty about who I am now.

An excellent work of art by Sparks and I look forward to reading some of his other books.
on 19 March 2003
Another Nicholas Sparks master piece!
Telling the story of Landon and Jamie, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, A Walk To Remember does that. It takes you on a journey of discovery and through an emotional rollercoaster.
Thrown together during drama club and an eagerly awaited performance of the traditional christmas play Landon and Jamie embark on a relationship that is like no other. For Landon he must ignor his friends comments while Jamie overcomes the protectivness of her vicar father.
A truely amazing story of love conquering all that will make you laugh and blind you with tears, it's a book that can not be put down no matter how hard you try to read a few pages and then do something else. This is a book that must be read in one go with your mind and heart open and ready to accept the beauty and emotion of this wonderful story