on 11 May 2015
The book was not what I expected, it was far too hard core for my tastes and I found the content to be offensive and glorifying abuse of young girls.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2013
Loved the Vampire Chronicles, liked the Lives of the Mayfair Witches books and assumed Anne Rice would be good, generally. I was wrong. Awful, awful, awful - no eroticism, no story. Don't bother.
5 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2013
This was meant to be erotica but left me cold. Just seemed to be a shopping list of sexual shenanigans. Had no soul.
6 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2015
Let me just say that I LOVE Anne Rice. I adore her vampires and the worlds she creates. This book was sold to me as 'If you like 50 Shades, you'll like this.' Errrrrr, nope. I've read all three of 50 Shades, where the author nailed (pardon the pun) the character of Christian Grey. Anne Rice 'nailed' Lestat. As for this book - one word, disgusting. The girl is treated appallingly, even if the world is made-up. And the fact that there is no proper 'ending' of this book is another problem. Apparently, the third book is the best, but I'd need to fork out a lot of money to get there. Nope. This is an author disrespecting her avid fans and readers. Give it a miss and remember the good times.
One person found this helpful
on 19 August 2015
I am a big fan of BDSM literature but, reading this, I was kind of put off by the utter lack of consent which in my opinion makes this genre erotic. In The Story of O for example, O always agrees to submission to some extent..

Where the sub spends 250 pages mostly crying i start feeling sorry for her.

I think it's the utter lack of empathy and consent that put me off.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 June 2013
I recommend you read this if you have a strong stomach, a very liberal mind and are not looking for a romance novel!

I thought the premise was a good idea when I read the blurb for this book, and I respect Anne Rice for having written the Interview with the Vampire novels, so I thought I would pay the money and give it a go.

I shouldn't have bothered...

This novel could have been written by anyone else. It lacked the passion and depth I would associate with Rice, and I found the graphic punishments a tad unbelievable and very far fetched. It's as if Anne Rice thought about all of her fantasies then pushed them to the extreme. There is a lot of 'paddling' action, but the scenes with slaves hanging from the ceiling was just too much to believe. Ouch.

The constant nudity was just weird, and I'm imagining the climate must have been above 25, and as for the need for constant arousal...well...

There is just too much of everything going on in this book, and you'll become desensitised eventually, and wonder why you even bothered with this one.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 May 2015
I bought this book for all the same reasons other people did and Ms Rice was plugging it on her Facebook page so I thought I'd give it a go. I am stunned to say I wish I'd never bothered.
Simply: it lacks any of the depth of language she uses in her other books and none of her signature story telling. Maybe I just don't 'get it' but to me this 'book' is little more than a few hundred pages of gratuitous fantasy scribblings with no real plot.
In essence, some deranged royal family seem to have somehow risen to the top of the political foodchain in a vague land filled with dozens and dozens of smaller kingdoms all teeming with princes and princesses, enough to send a 'tribute' every now and again to be tortured at the hands of these sadistic freaks. The entire thing is a near constant description of spanking, humiliation, rape, yes, actual honest to god Rape and crying slaves. I kid you not, on several occasions the reader is treated to very graphic descriptions of both male and female rape. Let's not get confused here: this isn't one of those times where constant is somewhat muddy in a BDSM relationship: this is being strapped down and gang raped over and over again for days by scores of people as a 'punishment'. And that is all without going into how beauty and the other Slavs cry their way through every single outing. And frankly, the amount of spanking that goes on is quite literally laughable. It happens so often it becomes more than boring. People have described this book as being 'ground breaking' for what it came out a couple decades ago, the only thing this 'book' is breaking ground on is its woeful ignorance of the BDSM culture. Spanking is a small part of it and it certainly doesn't include rape. Whichever way you cut it, unless you can sit down and enjoy this level of abuse in fiction, you will not enjoy this book. I don't know which idiot decided to compare it to 5p shades because it's nothing like that (for good or bad) so please don't buy it on the off chance. The prince is not Christian and quite honestly it shocks me to the core than none of the slaves in this piece of garbage had at any point tried to stab the freaks keeping them hostage. It's like a more lordly 'Wrong Turn' except their deformities are their morals. Revolting. And I'm an open minded gal! But come on....he literally gets bent over a barrel and gang raped....
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 8 May 2016
I'm confused over the bad reviews, as this book ain't no Fifty shades of boredom. It's the beginning take of what happened if sleeping beauty woke up in the middle of sex. That alone should tell you it is a heavier, meaty BDSM series rather than a tiresome trip through fake-ville. If you like BDSM books like those from Black Lace, then grab this series now. If you came here for a Fifty Shades romp, go back through the safe door.
on 30 September 2012
I read the 50 shades books & loved them so bought this thinking it would be a sort of fairytale follow on, how wrong was I? It's rubbish I didn't enjoy it one bit,I had no connection with the characters at all & didn't find any of it 'sexy'. Others have said it's a great series of books but I guess just not to my taste. (In the star rating system 1 star means 'I hate it')
5 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2013
It's no secret that Anne Rice is a superb storyteller, but the Beauty Series left me enraptured. It was probably my first taste of BDSM and it certainly made me want to read more. This is sexual fantasy, written exquisitely. I wish she'd write more.