on 10 June 2017
I loved all the Beatle references in this book.the book was funny but corny at times.The idea of a time traveling music shop was was awesome.Jo Jo was an OK character but this boom rocked .I can't believe it took me so long to finish the rest of this brilliant book.
on 19 July 2017
I thought it was quite repetitive and predictable. It was still an nice lighthearted read.
on 15 November 2013
I'm a huge fan of Ali McNamara's novels and have loved every single one, so I was really looking forward to jumping in to Step Back In Time.

When Jo-Jo is hit by a car, the last thing she expects is to wake up and find herself in 1963. The world around her is suddenly very different - from the fashion to the music, even her romantic life. But then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living in the 70′s, 80′s and the 90′s! Why is Jo-jo jumping through time? And if she gets back to her old life, will it be the same?

I really enjoyed this. I wanted to read on because I was really intrigued about how and why Jo-Jo was jumping through time. I particularly enjoyed that there were characters who appeared in all of the `times', as it felt a bit more familiar, even if they were different in each time, I liked knowing that they were there and it felt as though I knew them so it made the novel more enjoyable for me.

I like the idea of stepping through time. I've recently become more interested in time travel novels and so this aspect was particularly fascinating for me. Being born in the late 80′s, I can only really remember the 90′s, but it was fantastic re-living this time with Jo-Jo! Even though I wasn't around for the other `times' I enjoyed them too and really immersed myself in the 60′s, 70′s and 80′s, the feeling and the atmosphere really came to life and I felt as though I had travelled back with Jo-Jo. I especially loved the many Beatles references, I found myself singing their songs for hours after reading this!

Step Back In Time is a delightful, funny, romantic, and truly wonderful read which I'm sure will bring back memories for many readers, as well as putting smiles on many faces like mine. So buy this and enjoy travelling through time with Jo-Jo!
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2016
Didn't finish
on 8 October 2016
A great read with romance, time travel and a whole lot of Beatles references!

This was a fun and original story which had me chuckling along as protagonist Jo-Jo found herself leaping between the decades. The attention to detail in each era made this perfect for book for anyone with a nostalgic bone in their body, and I absolutely adored record shop owner George.

My first Ali McNamara book, but certainly not my last!
on 23 July 2017
Great great read. Loved it so much, I've read it four times now. My go to for a happy read. Reminiscing through the years, decades.
on 28 May 2017
Great book, I really enjoyed reading this
on 24 November 2013
A fun, engaging & enjoyable novel with some funny bits and a clever, quite original storyline . Well worth a read!
on 6 December 2013
As always Ali McNamara doesn't disappoint. I love her books. I haven't read it all yet but it's a good read. Glad I bought this title as I always do with her books.
on 7 November 2013
I have to admit I've been going through a bit of a reading slump recently. I'm still reading, yes, but the books I'm reading just aren't blowing me away and I was sorta worried to start Step Back In Time because I didn't want to be disappointed in it. I'm quite pleased to report that I loved Step Back In Time - it was such a fun, warm, engaging novel that it would seem my book slump is basically just me reading books that aren't particularly mind blowing (which in itself is a shame!). Step Back In Time, however, blew all the novels I've read in the past week out of the water quite easily and the novel has easily one of the coolest book concepts, ever.

Step Back In Time sees main character Jo Jo moving through the decades, from the swinging sixties to the hippy seventies, to the big-haired eighties, and to the relatively modern nineties. I got into the novel immediately; I loved meeting Jo Jo in 2013 before all the hoo-ha happened because it meant we knew a bit about her, and a bit about the people in her life; Ellie, George, Harry and then I liked how quickly we time travelled. I thought it was utterly amazing; I loved the concept that Jo Jo changed guises with each trip, but how she was still, inside, the same Jo Jo f 2013. I loved how Jo Jo adapted to all of the changes, and managed to realise that there were some thing that stayed the same no matter the decade. I loved seeing that Ellie, Harry and George were always present and correct, even if they weren't as close to Jo Jo as they had been, that familiarity meant a lot as I read the novel because it meant Ellie wasn't ever totally alone, even if the people around her weren't always as they used to be.

Step Back In Time was a pleasure from beginning to the end, I was hooked from the off. I didn't even mind all the Beatles references (in fact, it was actually nice because it was all tied together), despite not being their biggest fan (I'm a 90s kid, my parents brought me up on Meat Loaf not The Beatles). Ali McNamara has once again hit it out of the park, she is truly a special storyteller and this is her at her best. She encapsulated all the decades so well, and it never felt gimmicky. I loved learning more about decades I've never known a thing about, I loved that Groovy Records was present and correct in every decade and I adored the core characters of Jo Jo, George, Ellie and Harry. I didn't want it to end, I just wanted to keep surfing the decades with Jo Jo, but even the ending was amazing. Ali's so talented, and Step Back In Time is a triumph, thank you Ali for such an awesome read.