Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2014
I bought 'Little Beach Street Bakery' as I was looking for a light, easy read on my Kindle and it definitely didn't disappoint. I found myself being pulled into the story and really caring about the characters - it was sad in places, happy in others and made me laugh out loud more than once. A lovely read - especially for a holiday!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2014
OH MY! I have read most of Jenny Colgan’s books and am very fond of her Rosie Hopkins books. However, MOVE OVER Rosie because Polly is in town! I picked this book up and did not put it down until I managed to finish it later that day. I just fell in love again and again, and now I feel a little bit sad that Polly is gone. The only thingthat perked me up was the idea of a re-visit in the form of Jenny Colgan’s release in February 2015 entitled Summer at The Little Beach Street Bakery.

Polly Waterford is by far one of my favourite characters this year. She is without a doubt a gem of a woman who I literally cannot wait to read about next year. Polly is having a tough time and when her and her partners business fails she ups sticks and moves into a ramshackle flat which is basically an abandoned shop. The sleepy little town she is residing in is the furthest from what she is used to as you can get. It’s essentially an island that is isolated once the tides turn and the bridge to the mainland is inaccessible.

The way Jenny describes the place made me fall in love with it and immediately want to visit. While Polly is trying to recover from her past toxic relationship she realises that she has a whole new host of problems to deal with, such as a job, not knowing anybody and living in a place that is fit to be knocked down. However, Polly is not a pushover and her character from start to finish is just perfect. She is very sarcastic but funny with it and one of her relationships made me chuckle and it was with a bird!!!!

I don’t want to delve too much into the storyline as I don’t want to spoil it for anybody but trust me when I say this is a magical book and one which I read in one sitting. Jenny Colgan has won me over with Polly, and although Rosie remains one of my favourites she is beaten to the post by the brilliant Polly Waterford. If you haven’t read a Jenny Colgan, then what are you waiting for? A magical and reality escaping haven, it’s a book you should definitely have in your collection!
This is a lovely story and has a real feel good factor about it. The main character, Polly, is written about in such a way that you actually begin to care about her and what happens! I loved the descriptions in the book - made me want to move house nearer the sea...

This book is light reading and enjoyable. The kind that you want to read in one sitting.

Would recommend.
on 9 April 2014
I loved this book and didn't want it to end,for me it had everything beautiful Cornwall and the little puffin which somehow managed not to be naff,all the characters were believable and you wanted a happy ending for them all
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 September 2016
Little Beach Street Bakery written by Jenny Colgan is another wonderful read by this very talented author as she gives us readers a character named Polly.
Polly is recovering from a broken relationship and a heavy burden of bankruptcy which has not only taken her home but everything she believed in.
Polly was a lovely character with a heart of gold and she decides there was only one option and that was to leave Plymouth her hometown and take a break from everyone and everything she knew. Her search for a new home takes her to a small Island which was situated off the coast of Cornwall. This Island was small yet beautiful, filled with characters who were soon to become Polly's friends.
This book had it all, filled with characters who lived each day in beauty but the dangers of sea fishing were made true when a tragedy brings Polly to her knees in grief yet how the community drew together showed her what true friendship really meant.
Little Beach Street Bakery written by Jenny Colgan was a book which I know I will return too, the writing was breathtaking as Jenny Colgan writes with wonderful descriptions which showed not only the beauty of the Island but her descriptions of the people brought the wonderful characters to the front of the story where I could understand how Polly loved the people of this island and made it her home. I loved how Jenny Colgan showed Polly's love of bread and her talent for baking mended her broken heart while taking her life in a different direction from the one she knew yet that same love of bread reached out to strangers in such a brilliant way I could almost smell it as the author's descriptive writing had me gripped throughout.
Little Beach Street Bakery written by Jenny Colgan was a wonderful read which I loved from page one, I am happy to recommend it to other readers of female fiction yet this was no chick lit this was a book which showed how human emotion could hold while life around you was falling apart.
on 6 January 2017
If you enjoy a guilty bit of chick lit now and then, Little Beach Street Bakery has all the ingredients and will leave you with a nice warm fuzzy feeling. This book is pure escapism where you can leave your deep thinking hat to the side; the setting of an atmospheric, idyllic picture postcard sounding Cornish island that's connected to the mainland by a causeway (loosely based on St Michael's mount in Cornwall), quite a bit of romance, tragedy, yummy food that you can almost smell while reading, interesting characters and a cute little puffin. It almost makes you want to visit Cornwall to find a seaside village to escape to and go back to the simple things in life. So grab a cup of tea and some biscuits and curl up on a comfy couch with a pile of cushions to settle into and spend a chilled out afternoon reading.
Oh I almost forgot - at the end are a few little recipes so you can beat those bread cravings that you'll inevitably develop while reading this book with its vivid descriptions of delicious smelling baking bread :)
on 3 April 2014
If there is only 1 book you read this year then it has to be Little Beach Street Bakery. This novel definitely has the 'feel good factor'. There are lots of interesting characters in it & my favourites were Reuben & his relationship with Kerensa, Jayden & of course, the wonderful Neil! Please Jenny write a sequel
on 14 March 2014
Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their townhouse, she has to move miles away from everyone, to the sleepy little seaside resort of Polbearne where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.

Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby...making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes...and people start to hear about it.

While the book was cute, and the setting was beautiful and fantastically described, I found it very hard to get in to the book. There was no sparkle for me and overall the entire book was very bland and boring for me.

I felt like there wasn't any chemistry between Polly and Huckle, which took away from the enjoyment of the book for a start. The lack of sparkle overall and the lack of fire and passion in the main romantic relationship made for a very below average book.

It wasn't all bad though, I could picture the little island town perfectly, and it was written very atmospherically, but overall it was bland, boring and very average.
on 31 August 2016
If you want a nice, easy going Romance story then this is for you. I love Jenny Colgan's stories, they are easy to read and just nice....and there is nothing wrong with nice, it makes the world go round.

The story made me laugh, definitely cry and want to go and live in that sleepy Cornish town across the cause-way, it sounds right up my street. I want to bake bread and keep bees...well maybe just eat the honey. Jenny's characters are so genuine, they are real and humorous, they have life's ups and down that we all go through. Tough choices and rays of hope, like the sun glinting on the sea.

I loved the characters, all of them, even the annoying ones. The grabbed my attention from page one and kept me reading. I had to finish and stayed up till two in the morning.

If you are a romantic at heart then this it the book for you. A really lovely story.
on 7 July 2015
A truly awful read. I chose it as it was set in Cornwall and it had so many good reviews. It is utter tripe. A formulaic story that defies belief. Firstly where is it supposed to be. It talks about being on Irish Sea? In Cornwall? It also supposed to be near Plymouth and Looe (both next to English Channel). It has surfing - difficult to find suitable conditions near Looe. A pet puffin? Absolute nonsense