Customer reviews

The Game: (Victor the Assassin 3)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2013
I've read the first two books and the short story and thoroughly enjoyed them all and this one was no exception. I do agree with a few people (reviews placed here but seemingly now removed) that the price was a bit much for a Kindle edition but I'm also of the opinion that if I put in enough effort to write a novel, I'd want it to sell at a decent enough price to make me some money too. Not sure how much Amazon take but hey ho. Not the point.

The book is as well-written* as the previous ones, with an engaging story and new characters being added. Some of these characters look like they'll be around for any future books, others don't last that long. The action is well described and never becomes clumsy. The author has a talent of making us like the characters he wants us to like and dislike the ones that we are supposed to dislike. Victor is a contract-killer and we like him. That takes some doing. I know I've got into a story well if I'm animated while reading. Sounds silly but you know you've got a good book if you cheer when the bad people die and the hero does something cool. And I cheered (internally as I was mostly on a bus) quite a bit while reading this book.

Another thing I like is when the story has twists and turns enough to be exciting but stays believable. There's no point having a great story if the hero does something impossible because it throws you out of the little `zone' you're in and spoils the book. This book sticks to a great plot while never becoming silly. Also a talent.

I won't go through the plot because the blurb on the product-description does that well enough and you don't want to learn too much because the story's more fun if it turns in directions you aren't expecting.

Obviously you won't be looking to get this if you haven't read the others and, if you liked the others, I reckon you should like this. It's the same style and just as exciting as the previous two. Definitely worth a read. I very much hope there are more to come.

*While being well-written, I did spot about 4 typos throughout the story. Only little things like one passage starting with (C) and ending with (end C). I'm guessing these were editor's marks not removed. `Have' was spelled `Havet' in one place and one sentence was missing a word. But these are tiny things and, as they weren't enough to annoy me into knocking me out of my `zone' they aren't worth removing any stars for.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2017
I think this series of book are great. They are full of twists and the story is fast paced. Even though Victor is a ruthless assassin you can't help but like him.
on 12 April 2017
Certainly above average read and while stretching the imagination, well written plot and difficult to put down until the end. Slightly disappointing finish, but would recommend
on 24 September 2017
Tom Wood does it again! Top banana.
on 15 March 2017
on 17 June 2017
Awesome
on 12 June 2017
ok
on 27 August 2017
Enjoyed very much excellent pace with many twist and turns.
on 1 May 2016
Bought as a present, dad loved it.
on 8 May 2015
This book twists and turns it's storyline until it all comes together in exploding fashion
With even more twists at the end