on 27 August 2017
Great book well priced great condition
on 20 March 2017
excellent
on 7 June 2017
Excellent account of a warriors journey through his career. The highs and the lows. I would highly recommend this book
on 17 December 2012
Not a typical women's read this one but I enjoyed it so much, the story is interesting insight into a life of a special operator. The amount of psychological and physical sacrifice these guys have to make to get where they are makes them truly elite. Not and ordinary life and not easy after he gets injured and has to find another meaning in life. People like this have my respect and make my life seem to be a breeze :)
on 3 January 2016
Fantastic book,easy to read and it will have you laughing at the antics if the team and the man himself. The shear will power of humans to push themselves to do these things(the selection test to become a seal).
You will flick through the pages and smile and I mean laugh..
it's a good book worth reading a mans man book,I was born in the 60's and so I'm not into hair gel and all this into my feminine side.I am a good man,an honest man but not a new man,i'm a caveman and live being so I fight,drink, act silly,fart and everything a man does. I am too honest for most people they like to see things in rose tinted glasses I see and tell how it is Read this book
on 28 July 2012
This book gives us a sense of the dedication, the work ethic and the extraordinary skills required to become a Seal Team member, it also highlights the constant struggle to remain an intricate part of an Elite group.

It starts with Mr. Wasdin story on how he grew up to become the top sniper in the military's most elite and respected group. His father was a disciplinarian who was especially hard on him and demanded perfection. This tough sometime cruel upbringing laid the ground work for the extreme tests the rest of his life had in store for him.

In his military training he describes the grueling selection process, Hell Week, boot camp and later on Sniper School where he was thought that the more you train, the less chance you will bleed in war. All through the pages he often describes his childhood memories and the lessons he has learned. In retrospect he has become a well discipline perfectionist who embraces his vocation extremely seriously.

As a Team Six member he took part in Operation Desert Strom and on another mission the team took on a rebellious and out of control village, their objective was to capture or kill Somalia warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid. It is during this mission we learn how important intense training can affect results. When taken by surprise they still preformed a heroic rescue of downed pilots even though some including Mr. Wasdin received life threatening wounds. He was later awarded the Silver Star for his actions.

Skilled surgeons saved his leg and with extensive rehabilitation he returned to active duty but it soon became clear to him his performance was compromised so he eventually took medical retirement and went back to school to become a Chiropractic Doctor.

This is an exciting book that kept my attention to the last page. Mr. Wasdin tells his memoirs with a deeply poignant perspective and an honest point of view from his painful troubled childhood, his demanding career in the navy right up to his present day life as a Doctor. I read this book after watching TV programs relating to Seal Team training and exploits, the background helped me visualise and understand the black and white text in a more intense manner.

I was pumped reading the words of Mr. Wasdin and I can only imagine what it is like for these Elite Groups: endless training and living life on the edge....
on 29 September 2011
really good ,interesting read,alittle gung ho but then im british.describes in great detail his experiences from joining up to invalided out .riveting stuff
on 23 October 2012
Knowing every word comes from one of the guys whose actually been there & done it adds to the intrigue. In my view a very good first hand account of a dare devil raid without any ego or frills. Tells it as it is & you have to admire him for the modesty & professionalism with which he outlines an incredible story.
on 20 July 2011
Prior to purchasing this book, I was skeptical of picking it up. Ever since post-Iraq and Afghanistan invasion, there's been a flood of military related literature into the market. There's been some good accounts, and some pretty bad efforts. When I saw this I thought of the latter category. However after taking a chance and after racing through it, I'm pleasantly surprised and Seal Team Six has entered the realm of some of my favourite reads.

The book is well written. There is little error in grammar and punctuation, and many of the historical facts seem nailed down -- although with the caveat, I haven't done research into them. The type face is well set out and the use of contents make re-reading accessible. Wasdin and Templin's style of writing is engrossing. You want to continue to read and read. The language is broken down well, and newcomers will be welcome to the book. There's even a glossary at the front of the book to assist you in some of the book's more difficult to understand phrases.

As well as first hand information that Wasdin provides, there is also a bibliography to be mentioned. Although it is short, it displays that Wasdin took care to reinforce his points and facts, and secondly that he is encouraging you to read more about the elite fighting force. This is a positive for me.

Wasdin's work ranges from when he was an abused child, up to enlisting in the Navy and then onto the SEALs. From the damaging, dangerous and violent battle of Mogadishu we get to the end where he discusses life outside of the SEALs. It's a truly remarkable story. The punishment he suffered as a child, up to the searing reports on the streets of war-torn Somalia hits you with different emotions and combine to make excellent reading.

There are many other positives in the book. The SEALs demanding training, BUD/S is a hell-like ordeal and reading it makes you want to get up and about. His descriptions of weapons he uses and spending thousands of rounds on the range are informative. The sniper school he attends shows the grueling hard work of the job. I also found little things like SEALs relationship with Delta force interesting, along with the stories of past exploits of SEAL heroes.

However, despite its many good points, it has a couple of faults. The chapter on the Safe House in Mogadishu read like a diary, and break up the tone of the book. Furthermore, the use of past/present gets conflicted. As well as this, the book acts as a baseplate for Wasdin's criticisms of the Clinton administration over their handling of the Somalia mission. Also, his references to God and sometimes the over-patriotic tone of the book can be a little annoying. I've nothing hugely against what he's saying (as an Irish man, I'm inclined to agree with his comments on the Clinton/Somalia disasters), but for me, they distort the book's message. After all, it is an auto-biography, and these are to be expected.

I deeply enjoyed this book, it further reinforces the quality of the US armed forces, and in particular, the efforts and dedication of the Special Forces, a subject I'm enormously interested in. I've tried to recommend this book and will continue to strive to do until someone reads it! I would go so far to admit it could be used among scholarly research for a student wishing to do research on the SEALs, special forces or Operation Gothic Serpent, and the Battle of Mogadishu.

I'm going to give this four stars, despite the fact I loved it, but it isn't absolutley perfect - although it comes close. I find it difficult to give five stars. This is highly recommended, give it a go.
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2013
This is as book about life as a sniper. It is not written by a top selling author. It is written by an army sniper. Now retired!

I give it 4 stars because although not professionally written (many of the criticisms are valid) but it was a book that I enjoyed and will pass on to others. It does lack flow, does not build suspense, and does not have the twists and turns we have comes to expect of we'll written novels, and does not have any insight into Bin Laden's capture, but it is enjoyable