Customer reviews

2,056
The Burning Girl (Tom Thorne Novels)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 June 2016
Read reviews and most were good. Story idea appealed, something different.However, this is one of those books you have to back track to try and work out whose mind you are listening to, or who is speaking. I'm fairly intelligent, but this style of writing gave me too much to try and work out for myself. It became a chore. Shame.
on 13 September 2017
I found this a little hard going from the beginning but hoped it would get better - it didn't as far as I'm concerned. Problem was, I found the main character and his obsessions irritating, no sympathy for him at all. There also seemed to be a lot of padding and not much plot development so I just skipped to the end. I obviously didn't miss much as i caught up with the story immediately. I won't be reading any more in this series.
on 27 June 2017
Very slow moving story, too many highly detailed diversions from the central issues. The ending especially its settling had little credibility. I don't think was a story that was a "must finish it" read that made me want to keep turning the pages. Therefore I would not particularly recommend it, but of course,everyone has different views of how they judge a good story.
on 13 January 2015
To say I loved this book, would be an understatement. I could not put it down as I was so gripped by the plot and characters that I even sacrificed my sleep for it. This is definitely not a book to fill in some gaps in your day. It is a book to be savoured without distractions. I lost myself into the plot and never did I stop to wonder 'is this possible?' or view it cynically. Now I must go buy another book of this author or I will suffer withdrawal symptoms very soon!
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2017
Having read one of the Thorne novels out of order, I was drawn to finding out where it all started. Hugely impressed. A brilliant plot, although one that only becomes apparent after quite a while; tremendous characterisations and, eventually, a twist in the (more or less) final scene.

I'm a great fan of Rankin and Rebus, but I have to hand it to Billingham, this is as good.

I'm ready for book two.
on 3 June 2017
The world portrayed is a grimy crime ridden London and the c h characters - too many for comfortable reading - are almost exclusively male in a crass and foul mouthed police world. The author seems to find it difficult to write with empathy about female characters . A struggle to finish the book.
on 20 September 2017
I enjoyed this book and wanted to know what would happen next, as with all good crime books, but found the characters hard to get to grips with and wasn't keen on the writing style. It took me quite a long time to get into the book but when I did I found the story was good and very different.
on 13 April 2015
This is the first Mark Billingham book I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story goes into great depth with all the characters. It has you on the edge of your seat, occasionally steering you down a blind alley, I think the character of Tom Thorne is very true to life of the average hard working detective. I recommend this book as a great read if you want to get your teeth into a good story.
on 20 May 2017
This is my favourite author's first book. I was thrilled to find it on sale for so reasonable a price. The book was in incredible condition. I could not be happier with it if I tried.
on 9 July 2017
This novel starts slowly and maintains it's pace throughout. It was a struggle to get through and I won't be reading any more from this author.