Customer reviews

Say You're Sorry (Joe O'loughlin 5)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2012
Say You're Sorry is one of the most gripping thrillers I have read in years. Dealing with the story of abduction and the way young women are seen in our society the book not only delivers toe-curling thrills but also takes a long hard look at sexuality and societal expectations. Throughout the book we not only see it from Joe O'Loughlin's POV but also have sight of the diary of Piper one of the young women who was abducted. Reading her story I was reminded of 'The Collector' and although the books are very different I think Robotham surpasses Fowles in delivering a wholly realistic narration of a young girl struggling in the most extreme circumstances. Cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 17 February 2013
The author is a well accomplished writer within the thriller genre. Say you are sorry proves the point clearly.The psychological aspect is insightful and well researched. It is a complex subject, as it gives you an insight into the human mind and what triggers their behaviour. The tonne is straight away set from the opening pages. It is all ready, set and go from the first page, as if you are in a race circuit. The plot is gripping, thrilling and enthralling. It concerns the disappearance of two teenagers in a small town. What prompted their sudden disappearances? Clinical psychologist works in conjunction with the police force to assist in the investigation. His approach is different from the police. There are few suspects in the picture. It is a guessing game, as you never know what to expect. The trail becomes warm. The pace increases, as you flip every page.The author knows how to keep readers interested with a cracking plot. It is filled with a dark atmosphere and high levels of suspense. Michael Robotham's forte is writing quality thrillers.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2014
Ever since I read this author's brilliant Shatter (arguably the most exciting thriller I've ever read) I've been hoping for a repetition. Certainly, this novel is exciting and well-written, but still not in the same league.

Tash and Piper, teenage friends, disappeared three years ago, and hope for their safe recovery has faded. Until, that is, a fire in a farmhouse and the serendipitous presence of the psychologist Joe O'Loughlin, cause it to be reopened (O'Louglin is a character known to fans of Rowbotham, and very likeable). The storyline is divided between first person narrative (O'Loughlin) and Tash's diary, and this works well. I did find the first two thirds of the novel a little slow, but the last part more than makes up for them as the story builds to its gripping climax. The novel is as much whodunnit as thriller, and when the final denouement came, I felt a little cheated. Some may have guessed the ending; I certainly wouldn't have (and so, no "oh, of course!" moment for me!). Also, one piece of extreme cruelty did strike me as unncessary - and would it really have happened? (no details to avoid spoilers. Anyone who has read the novel will know what I'm referring to).

But in conclusion, a good, enjoyable - in some parts, thrilling - read, although I'm still waiting for another Shatter!.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 December 2013
I've dipped in and out of Mr Robotham's series over the years and enjoyed them but they've never been on my "must read" list and this book doesn't change that for me. After disappearing three years ago there are now signs that Tash and Piper might be alive so the hunt is on. The story is told alternately in Piper's voice and as a straightforward narrative. The writing is gripping, very much "just another chapter" but I found the plot and especially the ending let it down. I don't want to throw in any spoilers but it seemed to me that Mr Robotham felt he needed another twist and so quickly pulled a perpetrator out of the hat with little explanation or build up. Don't get me wrong 90% of this book is really gripping and, in parts quite sad, so it is worth a read but not, in my opinion, worth 5 stars.
on 3 October 2013
Bought this book for my wife, who is an avid reader but who had hit a bad run of books and was becoming disillusioned of ever finding a mystery/murder/adventure book that 'did it' for her. She complained that most stories were slow to get going, if at all, made up for lack of story with an abundance of descriptive flannel, were very similar to that already read, and were generally very disappointing.

Michael Robotham's "Say You're Sorry" saved the day, and from the moment she started reading it was totally captivated by it, and only drowsiness at night made her put the book down, or more accurately when it fell out of her hand onto the floor!. She didn't want the book to end, and was now gone on and ordered 4 other Robotham books to ensure good reading continuity. What do we do when the supply of his books runs out?
on 12 October 2012
Let me start by saying this book was far too expensive,the most I have ever paid for a novel.So was it worth it? Well yes it was,an unputdownable story told by a writer at the peak of his talent.Not the best he has ever written but still head and shoulders above others in the genre.The two main characters Joe O Loughlin and retired policeman Ruiz are fast becoming the best crime duo since Dalziel and Pascoe,they are fully fleshed out characters who leap off the page,with human frailty and flaws,but also extremely funny banter between the two.
The story is classic Robotham,drawing you in until the very last line on the very last page,I did pick up on the clue given halfway in the book and guessed the identity of the killer,but I was never really sure until the end,and to be honest the identity of the bad guy is secondary to the way the story unfolds,Robotham doesn't really write whodunnits,Its the complex plots and character driven stories that make him one of the best crime writers alive today.
But I sincerely hope they dont charge such a high cover price again,or I might have to wait for the paperback!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2016
This was way too long and I really didn't enjoy it. I have been a big fan of Mr Robotham's books but I felt this was extremely disappointing. I won't be back
on 15 June 2014
After reading my first Michael Rowbotham novel I am hooked! He is everything I look for in a good author. Gripping story. Great and believable characters, humour and a mystery thriller. A chriminal psychologist who is unique. Human and witty. I'm on my second novel of his straight after I read SAY YOUR SORRY. It's called SHATTER I can't put it down. I have recommended it to friends and family and they are all hooked now! Can't wait to read the rest of this wonderful writer's other novels.
on 25 February 2013
Having found this author recently and thank you to all the comments from the good readers of amazon,(i never by anything that has'nt been reviewed)i have now read all of this great authors books,so will somebody please help me to find another author just as good.I am an avid reader of mysteries and these were so good ,i love the characters they became my friends.I will give them all five stars,please read them in order,i spent many days at work yawning because i was uo so late reading .Well done MR Robotham please write more.
on 19 October 2015
A rollercoaster crime story. I loved it even if at first I hesitated over the story of two girls held captive for 3 years. Sensitively told with implied horror leaving the reader to fill in with their own imagination. This gives more satisfaction than shocking detail. A twist ending I hadn't expected.
I'll certainly buy more novels from this author