Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2017
The Scarpetta characters continue to evolve but retain their individuality amidst an ever more frightening glimpse of modern life (and death).
on 6 June 2017
Fast delivery and love these crime stories.
on 3 August 2017
Good read
on 16 March 2017
Very very good
on 10 September 2017
A real page tuner for fans and first readers alike,pulls you in and then twists and turns until the end
on 28 May 2014
As usual a very good book from an author who knows how to keep you more than interested to the very end. Warning you won't want to stop reading once you start. Seriously..
on 7 January 2000
I've read and loved all of Cornwell's Scarpetta novels - but I've finally had enough. Her total lack of genuine grief over Benton's death was the final straw. Yes so she shed a few tears, but within seconds resumed her usual dour demenour. I am utterly sick of this character's wooden emotions and chronic lack of humour. It would be such a huge relief if just once, just once Kay made a complete bodge of her hand-made frittata with pesto, or confessed to eating herself sick on Haagen Daas while wearing stale pyjamas. Constant contemplations about her expensive house and car are highly irritating - although admittedly not as irritating as the obnoxious Lucy. Lucy is the literary equivalent of watching a party political broadcast on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, you feel that the room would always be a little emptier for her having entered it. As a world-class computer boffin, superlative FBI agent, expert pilot, fire-investigator supremo etc, etc you would think she could manage to rustle up a hint of humour or a spark of personality. Everyone raves on endlessly about her utter, mind-blowing brilliance but has no-one noticed that she has zero social skills and possess all the animation of a dead duck? Personally I think Cornwell could have killed Lucy off way back in book three and replaced her character with a lap-top instead - I would defy anyway to notice any difference in their personalities!
on 15 February 1999
You need to be a very ardent fan to enjoy this one.
There is no originality in this book. No new characters to grab your attention. The usual supply of cutting/chopping/boiling bodies and finding new and grotesque ways to kill people does not hold ones attention when there is no substance in the plot.
This is my 4th Patrica Cornwell book and my last. Both Gaunt and Carrie outstayed their welcome.
Quarter way through you knew what was happening but it took the good doctor over half the book.
What happened to the phonecalls the junior coroner was getting in the mornings? How did the FBI agent walk into such an obvious trap? Why all the pizza deliveries etc? All these little trails never materialised into anything why were they mentioned?
If you had missed any of the earlier books you would have no background on the characters the main player Dr Scarpatta, a coroner - her FBI boyfriend; - the perfect niece - the police detective who is overweight and has a bad life style; Gaunt (dead at the begining of this book), Carrie (in prison at the begining of the book).
I loved Patrica Cornwell's first and second book but I think she has now overplayed these characters - the baddies are all dead now (we hope!), so maybe we can have ALL new character...
on 15 January 1999
As an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell, I bought this book as soon as it was released. I was therefore disappointed that it was not up to the author's usual high standards. I found myself bored by the technical stuff (which I usually find fascinating); Lucy's love-life grated on me; and how could Cornwell come up with such an unsatisfyingly corny end for her supreme villainess, Carrie Grethen? Has Kay Scarpetta had her day?
on 13 July 1999
I read the 'puff' on the back cover of the book and was very much looking forward to the read. However, I should have followed my instincts and been, quite naturally, turned off by the dedication to Barbara Bush (why has she made a difference?).
Firstly, the character of Lucy, Scarpetta's lesbian niece, has become stretched to the limit, she becomes more irritating with every novel. I think that she should be done in quickly. Possibly as the opening to the next in the series.
Secondly, if you had not already read the Scarpetta series I think that the reader would be at a complete loss regarding the Temple Gault theme. The book does not stand up as a novel in its own right, rather only as part of a series.
Finally, the denouement is ridiculous...Please, Ms Cornwell - I am sure that you do not need to write a novel a year any more.