Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 May 2012
I hadn't expected to like 'A Countryman's Lot', so I was pleasantly surprised that my dislike of antiques did not detract from a thoroughly good read. However, books like this are all about characters and stories, and in this second installment they become more engaging and entertaining. After the introductions of the first book, we get some real depth to the 'regulars' and the writing improves accordingly. The stories seem to have greater resonance, and the descriptive precis allows enough space for imagery and imagination to have prevail. I thoroughly recommend all three books currently available. The third is the best, but it would not be appropriate without the development of the people and the village life that this book encapsulates.
on 28 January 2012
I bought this for my husband, who throughly enjoyed the first one in the series. Again he couldn't put it down and enjoyed every minute, can't wait for the next one to be realised in March.
on 9 December 2015
Love these books! A humourous and gentle story which is part of a series about Max Hard castle and his family in their life and antique business in the Yorkshire Dales. Suggest reading the first book although this can be read independently.
on 24 April 2013
hated it. like a poor man's take of the popular vet series . did not even finish it, which is a first for me
I was given two other books in this series which I read on holiday and really got into the whole feel of the village community and all the different characters, some real laugh out loud moments. It took a while to get into but once I did I was hooked. I would recommend to anyone who likes an easy read with a good feel good factor and characters you get to know and can really feel close to
on 13 July 2014
I liked this book, even though the story bounced about abit. I thought it would carry on from " A Country Man's Lot", but it did'nt.
I still liked the story though, funny in places.
on 20 June 2013
found it a bit rambly and longwinded, although the tales are very interesting the characters weren't and i didn't get to laugh outloud , sorry but i am comparing this with PhilipSerrel's books.
on 13 April 2016
I just have to give this 5 stars, what a great book. The only downer on these are that he's only written 3 books - Come on man, get writing more!
on 17 April 2012
This is a very enjoyable read about the local community & it's folk in Yorkshire. Best of all it's all true,..........well most of it, plus a good laugh.
on 17 July 2012
Enjoyed this book, having read the 2 previous ones i knew what to expect and this didnt dissapoint.
They are very amusing and easy to read which is important to me as i enjoy reading at bed time and on holiday.
I also prefer non fiction and although these are stories they are based on real lives and true situations.