on 1 October 2006
This has to be one of the most moving and disturbing stories I have ever read. "SOLD" is about Zana Muhsen, a young 15 year old and her younger sister, Nadia 14, who lived in Birmingham. Their father tricked them into going to Yemen. They willingly went to Yemen thinking that they were going on a "holiday of a life time". But instead they were sold by their father and thrown into an illegal marriage. They were made slaves and used for sex.

This story tells us of a traumatic experience of two young girls and their mother's battle to free her children. I am actually appalled that the government allows this to happen and the way women are treated in remote villages. This book shows how people (MEN) can be so naïve and to misunderstand the Quran and treat their women like slaves. This saddens me to think that this STILL happens.

This book is a good read and is highly recommended.
on 8 September 2006
This is a story about to girls sold by their father too young boys from villages in the Yemen or possibly an arrangement done between the fathers of the two boys and the girls' father.

THe girls thought they were going on holiday with Mohammed and his dad. Originally it was planned that only Nadia goes to see the Yemen for a break from everything that happen to her in the UK over the months. Then Zana the older protective sister felt that she should accompany her sister to protect her incase something happened to her.

Thier father had arranged marriages for these girls. Nadia got married to Mohammed. She realised she was married when she reached the Yemen. Zana was married to another boy who was her dad's friends' son. Fake marriege certiificate were drawn up without the girls and their mother being aware of this. The fathers passed the girls as married without the girls saying I do three times (which is islam law for marriages). They were forced to live with husbands that were not really husbands).

The girls were left to doing daily chores as cooking, bring water daily from te wells (which were miles away from where they lived), cleaning, etc, while the rest of the families just watched them. Zana struggled more then Nadia as she was made to live with a husband that was a thin ill boy and she hated her father in-law.

Zana wanted to go home and Nadia too but not without her children. Therefore Zana decided to leave with the help of the UK press leaving behind a son. On the other hand Nadia stayed behid to be with her children.

This is a story of a mother and sister fighting to bring thier beloved Nadia home from her poor life in the Yemen and back where her family were.

This is a story about two sisters that were inseparable but had to live apart.

Countries such as the Yemen mix tradition, culture with religion and make their own law; which these girls had to live by.
on 26 May 2004
I was first introduced to Zana's plight through a documentary about her story that I watched during an RE lesson at school. I was appauled by her story, that this can happen in the modern world and still continues today. Reading the book was even harder. I felt so sorry for Zana and it made me realise just how lucky I was to live in a 'Free' country where we can make the most of Equal Oppertunities. Zana's story is a nightmare come true, but I admire her for her courage and determination to get back home - which she has done, and I also admire her strength and courage to continue her fight against the political red tape that is stopping her sister being free. Reading the book brings out a range of emotions for the reader: Sympathy for Zana and Nadia, Hatred and Anger towards the men that inflicted this pain and misery on them, and for the authorities that chose to ignore their situation, and admiration for their brave mother who overcame seemingly insurmountable odds to try to free the daughters she loves. It makes you cry but at the same time you can't put it down, and when you do you have to read the sequal 'A Promise to Nadia'. I often wonder how I would cope under Nadia's cicumstances, and I think I know the answer: I wouldn't. Zana and Nadia's strenth and determination inspires you and forces you to take a good look at the world we live in as well as reminding you never to take anything especially your freedom for granted. It also proves that the old Cliche is true: There is always someone out there worse off than you! So next time you're having 'one of those days' think of Nadia Muhsen, millions of miles away from her family - she'd give anything to be back in Britain and have 'one of those days' again!
on 23 March 2004
I read "sold" 5 or 6 times, each time i just can't stop till its end. Every time i experience the same feelings: anger, tears for being unpowerfull. Each time, i want to help and want to contact them to know what happens next. This true story is astonishing. I want to kill the father and put some blame on the mother. How could she do it a second time? i saw them on TV when the yemenite ambassador was there, and still nothing could be done. When everything looks like no more hope, Zana still fights. I want to shout to the world to wake up, but at the same time i want to shout that this is not Islam. As a muslim woman, I know. This is unaccepted in Islam. I pray for Nadia and the kids to be together in England, and i pray for the message in this book, not to be a wrong message. Islam is not the cause. As sad as it can be, i am sure we have similar stories or slavery stories in other parts of the world.
on 11 July 2001
I was given this book by a friend to read,and I was completely engrossed from page 1. The horrors of the tale of Zana, Nadia, their mother and their children brought tears to my eyes. What frightens me most about this story is the fact that I was ignorant to the facts of what these women have and continue to experience and how this could actually happen. I have just ordered Zana's follow up "A Promise To Nadia" and I am praying for a happy ending to this tragic story. If you have not yet read this book then read it, you will experience emotions of sadness, grief and anger but the insight into this negative side of our world is shocking yet extremely important.
on 27 November 2005
'Sold' is an emotional story, my heart goes out to Zana and her sister Nadia for having to go through that all that ordeal. Its hard to believe that things like this happen, let alone are still happening. Things that the two sisters went through, was unbelievable yet terrible. It really opened up my eyes. This book was a great and compelling read......each page as gripping as the last.
on 30 March 2000
"Sold" is a perfect example of a true story where two young girls believed that their father was going to take them on an overseas Hoilday. How could such a cruel and senseless man "sell" his own flesh and blood? He did it once before and then did it again. We must put a stop to this terrible terrible crime. By reading Zana's book and her Mother's book " Without Mercy" made me realise just how lucky I am and how fortunate my life has been. God bless you Zana and Miriam may we all see Nadia and the children home with you very very soon.
on 13 October 2005
I bought this book on holiday in Pakistan and started to read it there and bought it back with me, it's a book that I couldn't put down until the end, I haven't read a book in ages, but this book just makes you think about how luck you are, and that their are some unlucky people in the worlds too, I defiantly going to buy the next book, promise to Nadia and see what happens, I would recommend this book to everyone, go on and buy it and read you won't be disappointed.
on 26 March 2002
I have read the book SOLD twice now. All I can say is that I never imagined things like this still happen. My heart goes out to Zana. She had to leave her beloved sister Nadia and son Marcus behind. What a woman of strength and courage. The second book a promise to Nadia is just as heart breaking. I wish I knew how this sad story ends. Buy and read it, I promise it will haunt you.
on 7 March 2006
This book is very interesting and unbelievable that things like this can happen in a muslim country. How can religious men pass these two young girls as being wifes to those Yemen men without them saying 'they do' three times and how such comunities allow people to get away with this.
This book is gripping and encourages the reader to read on and on until the there is a happy ending. There is still no happy ending until Nadia is freed from the Yemen with her children.