• Fool
  • Customer reviews

Fool
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2017
I have a!ways enjoyed Christopher Moore's writing especially his San Francisco based stories. So I was intrigued by the premise of this and how he would deal with a very different milieu. Moore has clearly done his research and his use of some very British idioms is for the most part spot on and even where they miss fire they are still funny if unintentionally so.
Moore obviously has an abiding love and respect for the source material but isn't bound by its conventions or constrained by its reputation.
I did laugh a lot and I enjoyed the story but in comparison to his vampire stories this is a lesser work.
on 13 February 2013
I had high hopes for this book after the first chapter or so. Very witty and funny, but then the vulgarity of the book came through and I just lost interest. It just feels so unnecessary and really puts off the flow of the book as you don't really want to sit there and visualize some of things written. It may very well get better further in but the simple fact I was so put off so much so early really put an end to my experience with this book.
on 19 April 2015
A superbly written rollicking yarn, with numerous plot twists and lovable characters, which all ties up neatly in a glorious ending. A brilliant rewrite of some of Shakespeare (and several others!) classic tales, and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 6 August 2014
Fantastic book, highly recommended.
on 29 September 2015
Hilarious
on 23 April 2009
'Fool' is quite a departure from his usual style and subject matter and there are quite a few more profanities, however once I got into it I loved it! Christopher Moore can do no wrong!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 April 2018
A couple of years ago I read The Serpent of Venice, a rather refreshingly irreverent look at the story of Othello (and various other tales going on around about that story, including The Merchant of Venice, and Poe’s The Cask of Amontillado), which featured a Fool named Pocket. Fool is the first story featuring Pocket, King Lear’s Fool, and here is a tale which offers a new perspective on Shakespeare’s great tragic story. While there are some tragic elements in this story, if you’re looking for Shakespeare, you’re probably looking at the wrong book. This book carries a warning at the front for those who may be easily offended, and believe me, if you are easily offended, this is definitely not the book for you.

Irreverent, slightly horrid, and downright surprisingly shocking in places, this is a bawdy tale in the true sense, but at its heart it is a story that tells of Lear, his love for his three daughters and the way in which he tried to test that love. While it’s not Shakespeare, it is a lot of fun.
on 3 March 2013
Maybe I am outgrowing Moore. I loved Lamb and A Dirty Job, and enjoyed his other books enough. The concept here and the moral ambiguity of Pocket are the strongest points, but this one really dashed my hopes. Moore can't stop making American jokes when he is trying to be British, and unlike Lamb, where this sort of worked, here it was a crashing mess. As an ardent Shakespeare fan who recognized and could quote the plays he cross references, the goofy tone and inability to let the darkness of the material show through, bugged me. Lear is just too unsympathetic and the material is too silly, with frivolous bells rather than the black comedy it needed. The thing that annoyed me most was that it ended like every other Christopher Moore book. I could wax at length about what else was wrong with it. A lot of people will disagree, but if you are hoping for a dark and serious comedy, skip this one.
VINE VOICEHALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 February 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit that before reading this I quickly re-read King Lear as I haven't read it for a couple of years. To be honest Christopher Moore has kept the main story as it is in the play, more or less. King Lear, based on a Celtic legend is one of the if not the greatest tragedy penned by the immortal bard and it is something that may make you cringe thinking that someone has tried to write a new comic version.

I started this with some trepidation, not really knowing what to expect, but I must admit that this was an easy read that did have me laughing out loud in places. Although you don't necessarily have to know the play or have seen a version of it, it obviously does help, also if you do have a knowledge of Shakespeare's other plays (which fortunately I do). This isn't just a parody of King Lear though, as there are lines from and references to other plays by Shakespeare that you can easily work out as you read along. With lots of swearing and other displays of bawdiness this is well written and will bring a smile to your face. If you are a purist you may not wish to read this, but even so I think that it could well attract people to actually sitting down and reading the plays by the greatest writer of all time. A good effort at trying to tackle something that is part of our heritage. If you wonder why Moore has set this in the period when he has, and with unerring lack of understanding of our history then you will find the answers in his afterword, which is well worth reading.
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Christopher Moore was not an author I'd read previously but looking for something new I decided to give Fool a try. I must confess to being a little sceptical about his being compared to Terry Pratchett, who I have been reading for over twenty years. However it only took me a couple of chapters to realise that I was going to really enjoy this book.

The story is loosely based on Shakespear's King Lear, with a few alterations, and is narrated from the perspective of Pocket. Pocket is the King's fool who is rude and cheeky to everybody without exception - imagine Rik Mayall in jester's clothes improvising satire about the events going on around him whilst simultaneously pursuing anything in a skirt and you're about there.

We follow Pocket as his master disowns his best friend and his youngest daughter Cordelia, gives her and his kingdom away, loses his knights to his scheming other two daughters and is finally reconciled as Cordelia returns from France to take the Kingdom. Along the way Pocket, who is introduced as an orphan, gets into cahoots with three witches, discovers his parentage and plots mercilessly with all and sundry to achieve his own ends.

This is definitely a bawdy tale, the language might take you back a bit at first - get past that and it is also a hugely entertaining read from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have subsequently sought out other Christopher Moore books to read.