Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2016
I'm the biggest Sabbath fan ever, which is the reason I wanted to read this book. It's amazing to read such a funny mans life through his own memories. The man was insane! I would heavily recommend anyone to read his book. Even if you aren't a fan. You won't regret it... Ozzy Osbourne, a true legend!
on 23 August 2010
Having read the Brian Johnson bio just before starting this one, i was already in the right mood, those two guys comes from the same kind of backgrounds, working class that is, same kind of humor, and are two funny guys too.

Of course, there was many things i knew about the Ozz',and i was afraid of not knowing more than i already do about him, but,i've learned new things along the ride, it's well written, and makes you want to turn the page to see what is next catastrophy happening to him, beside that, Ozzy is a simple guy who just wanted to sing in a rock'n'roll band, and you feel yourself sorry for him sometimes, feeling that all this fame is too much for him. Fan or not, interesting book from a guy who started from scratch in the suburbs of Birmingham,UK, to the rockstar we all know.
on 2 May 2011
What a fantastic book.

So good it makes you feel like you were there all along with Ozzy - but without all the health risks! As a follower of Mr. Osbourne's career I can report the book was virtually as I'd imagined his life had been upto now (or as Ozzy states as close as he can remember). It is just like the life we all experience:- funny, sad, insane, but expanded and distorted in all directions. If you want a book that makes you laugh more than anything with some touching moments thrown in, this is the book. Moving to see Mr. Randy Rhoads (R.I.P.) still gets mentioned with admiration at every opportunity (god bless you fella).

The only way it could be better is if Ozzy spent a day chatting to you over a few pints, but then he'd only end up doing something daft again...
on 3 December 2011
i read this book after reading sharons i didnt expect much as sharon had told about his wild ways sex drugs booze trying to kill her . what an eye opener i couldnt put it down .it was sooo funny sad at times honest he left nothing out.a brilliant read i couldnt stop telling people about it i was sorry when it finished.
on 17 February 2012
I could not put this book down. It covers the whole of Ozzy's life which is eventful to say the least. How this man is still alive is a modern day miracle. It is good to see that the West Mids born rock god is still down to Earth and has not become pretentious like so many of his peers..
on 4 January 2016
I'll keep it short I know Ozzy won't read it anyway he doesn't do reviews! I'm on holiday and read this in two days sitting round the pool. I miss the guy already. What a life. Proper rock and roll. There's a lot of top musicians around, outstanding in their field. There's only one Ozzy as Black Sabbath found out. Sharon is a superstar. Loved it.
on 30 October 2009
You don't have to be a fan of Ozzy, but it does help. A very open and amusing read.
on 11 October 2010
I really enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would! Its basically Ozzy's autobiography, written in the way he would say it - so lots of swearing - but it was really entertaining and interesting. I also liked how he didn't really shy away from things like his split with Black Sabbath and when he nearly strangled Sharon, he seemed quite honest about it all. Although I know there was probably loads of half truths and bits missed out, but it was a good, fun read. Recommended if you're into metal, or Ozzy, or music biographies :)
on 8 September 2014
The first part of the book I found extremely interesting. The story of Ozzy's childhood and teenage years was rivetting. The early days with Sabbath are fascinating. I'm less interested in the subsequent success and solo career but that's just me. Sabbath were groundbreakers and created a new style of music... the later stuff is just metal by numbers to me. The oft-told war stories are tremendous fun and the substance-misuse is hair-raising and ghoulishly hilarious at the same time. I read it in two sittings - it's a page-turner no doubt about it.
on 18 May 2010
This is a superb autobiography. If ever a famous person's life warranted writing about, it is Ozzy. The man's life story makes many other "celeb" autobiographies look like exactly what they are - money grabbing, mass appeal, desperate publicity stunts.

This is different; but it's difficult to explain why. You might think "Ozzy Osbourne, spent his whole life doing drink and drugs and went on a reality TV show, so what", but there are some fascinating stories in this book. Many are very funny, but not self-indulgently funny. It's not a "look at me and what a brilliant life I've had" book. Quite the opposite in many respects; a lot of the stories Ozzy is quick to point out his embarrassment and regret at them.

The beginning is a great hook, I found myself reading pages and pages of it in one sitting simply because every story, one after the other, is so enjoyable to read. Sure, it doesn't keep at the same ultra-high level all the way through the book, but for a lengthy book (nice thickness, small typeface) it does a damn good job of keeping you interested till the end.

It becomes obvious from the start that the book is penned by a ghost writer. Which is perfectly understandable, Ozzy wouldn't be capable of writing his recollections well enough, but nevertheless the stories are written as if coming from Ozzy's mouth (credit to the ghost writer for maintaining this and yet making the stories so easy to follow). I suppose my one gripe, however, is the slightly melodramatic style some of it is displayed. By that I mean, the writer separates supposedly dramatic lines in some of the stories into their own paragraphs, as if making them stand out. It can read like a cheesy cinema trailer at times. I don't like it, I think the book is interesting enough without having some writer try and patronise you by portraying some lines with such false dramatic effect.

But it's not going to put you off. There are so many wild tales, like being raided by police and snorting a heap of coke because they couldn't flush it all away. And using curtains to wipe his backside because there was no toilet paper in a new property he and Sharon were viewing. There are also sadder, more "common folk" tales; he tells us about his relationship with his parents, not talking to his mother for years, and then her dying before he could make amends.

I knew very little about Ozzy prior to reading, I don't even particularly like his music. But it's a fascinating, funny and at times tragic account of a very troubled man's life. Whether you are a fan of his music or not, it's well worth reading.