Customer reviews

Frank: The Making of a Legend
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 2011
I too got this as a Christmas gift, but as I think I have every book ever written of Frank Sinatra, I put it to one side untill recently. I knew it only went up to his winning the Academy Award for "Eternity" and thought I knew all about his earlier years, so what more could I learn? How wrong I was. I'm still reading it, but this is by far the best book ever written about Sinatra and I'm going to feel real sad when I finish it. I feel this is the first book ever to cast the "real Frank Sinatra", and what a complex person he was! But the Mr Kaplan really makes you understand him, aloss understand everyone in his life,and the depth of his writing makes you want him to write TWO further sequels. There is enough material for him to do this. Please Mr Kaplan do it! After all I'm 78 and would really hate to miss them.
on 21 September 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed it. There are many different perspectives on Sinatra's life, though his ability as a singer is beyond reproach. This perspective suits me fine.
on 22 September 2017
Mum loved this book!
on 30 September 2012
An excellent and perceptive book. Highly recommended for all Sinatra fans and people interested in the big band era. Not to be missed.
on 4 October 2016
Together with 'Sinatra - The Chairman', this outstanding biography is, quite simply, one of the finest, most enjoyable, most immersive, biographies (of anyone!) I have ever read. Brilliant!!
on 18 January 2011
I purchased this book for my 78 year old Brother, who is a Frank Sinatra Fan. He has bought, over the years, lots of books on him. When I gave him the book for Christmas he absolutely loved it. He phoned me a couple of days later saying he hadnt put the book down and it told him lots about Frank which he didnt know. I got it at a real bargain price from Amazon so he was happy and I was as well as it has £25.00 inside the cover. My bother said if you are a Fan of Frank this is the book you must read.
on 27 March 2011
A book that I have not read all the way through yet, it is one I am enjoying dipping into. All fans kow the story of Sinatra, but I think this does approach it a little differently. So far very enjoyable
on 8 September 2013
Truly incredible book. Whether you're a longtime fan or have only recently sparked an interest in the legend that is Mr Sinatra, you will not be disappointed! Kaplan has clearly done a tremendous amount of research and has used a great number of sources, and the fact that he's clearly a fan of Sinatra's music adds a really nice personal touch.
The book only goes up to about the mid 1950s but there is so much information about Frank's early career that you don't feel as though you're missing out.. Can't wait for the next volume!
on 3 November 2013
This was bought as a present for a Sinatra fan and was greatly enjoyed and has been re-read several times
on 16 March 2014
It was a present for my friend, but she thought it a very interesting insight into Frank's life. a brilliant read.