Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2011
This was the first of Nicholas Sparks books that i read and im so glad that I brought it! I enjoyed it so much that i have gone on to buy many more of his books. I couldnt put this one down and it was a shock ending to find out who killed Missy. I would never have guessed it and that is what made the book so great. It wasn't a predictable story and it was so well written. Yes, most of his books are a few years old, but that doesnt matter. The story lines in all his books are so good that even if they were written 50 years ago, i would still read them and be impressed. Even if you dont buy this story, definitely try another one of Nicholas' books and im sure you will come back to buy more!
on 29 June 2013
Nicholas Sparks seems to have carved a corner in the market for well written romance novels. I was surprised to learn how many have been made into films.

This story is about a widow (US Sheriff) coming to terms with the loss of his wife while raising their young son. Meeting his son's teacher to discuss educational issues eventually leads to romance. Meanwhile the Sheriff continues to investigate his wife's death by a hit and run driver. There are a few unexpected twists and turns as the story progresses and overall I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

I would describe this book as ideal holiday reading. Plenty to keep you interested but not a heavy taxing read.
on 9 February 2011
After having read two Nicholas Sparks novels in recent weeks and being blown away by them, I looked forward to reading this. The blurb made it seem as though it would be just as captivating and intriguing as the others; but it was nowhere near the same standard unfortunately. The story was ever so predictable. I figured out before the halfway point who 'did it'. Then it was just a case of biding my time and plodding on through the rest of the cheese to have my suspicions confirmed. I couldn't form any relationship with the characters, like I've been able to in the other books of his that I'd read. I saw it through to the end simply because I cannot leave a book unfinished once I've started. To summarise: Predictable, cheesy & bland.
on 6 December 2003
This book is very romantic and makes a great read, sparks is a wonderful writer and really brings the story to life. The book is about love under very tough circumstances that just get harder and has a very good twist in it. I loved reading this and would recommend it to all readers, especially ones who like a little weep or romance. Its the type of book that once you pick it up you can put it down again, worth a read!!
on 7 February 2013
I have loved all of the Sparks books that I have read and 'A Bend In The Road' is no exception and might just be my favourite of his novels. It follows the story of Miles who was widowed with a young son as he falls in love again and how he copes with not knowing who killed his wife. I would say that the story is guessable and I had worked out the plot but Sparks throws in twists and turns that had me doubting it before it actually happened. The characterisation is again perfect as I have come to expect from a Sparks novel and I really enjoyed reading about their lives, they are all likeable people and easy to relate to which made it more enjoyable to read their story. The novel is of course very emotional as I again have come to expect from a Sparks novel and I found myself close to tears on several occassions but for me that is a sign that it is well written and that I felt a connection with the novel. I was only sad when this novel ended, an absolute must read!
on 25 February 2002
Nicholas Sparks is or maybe used to be one of my favorite authors of our age. "Message in a Bottle" was the first book I read and I confess that not only I read the book but also saw the movie at least 4 times and bought the CD. I also read the book in portuguese but it has nothing to do with the original. The translation is awful.
"A walk to Remember" was also a great book. Both stories mayde me cry in the end.
I was so happy to know that a new book was coming and I ordered "A Bend in the Road" right away. I read it in less than a week but, for the first time, I didn't cry, I wasn't touched by the author's words. I already felt that in "The Rescue". I know that we always have at least a dead person in his stories but the "killer" in this one was so obvious. You could guess the end and maybe that was the author's biggest mistake. I hope next time it will not happen.
on 25 July 2014
I loved this book as i do with all the ones i read its ironic and funny and filled with mystery you go through so many emotions with the characters and feel as they do its a great book couldnt put it down nicolas sparks is brilliant with his romance novels...
on 13 January 2013
It looked as if the story was going along smoothly, but it was certainly unexpected the way the main character changed, but it turned out alright in the end, when he (the main character) realised that everyone makes mistakes.
on 30 September 2003
This book is fantastic and has an unexpected twist that you won't predict. I read this on honeymoon and couldn't put it down. The charactors are believeable and this book is of how our lives can change unexpectadly and the way we have to change even if we are not quite sure of the route to take. An inspirational book.
on 15 July 2015
A emotional but worthy read .
I've stayed up past midnight reading this book as I knew I had to read it before I could actually go to sleep. I think this is my favourite Nicholas Sparks novel, and I had the feeling it would be at page 57 as I watched the budding romance of Miles & Sarah grow over the pages . I feel that they are friends as they felt so comfortable to get to know whilst reading the book, as did Jonah.
At one point at a rather crucial part of the novel, I was actually crying out in alarm at what was happening. Such an emotional book to read. Well done Nicholas Sparks you have kept me awake and hooked to the point that I knew I would be sleep deprived but it would be a worthy loss.