on 28 February 2014
I ordered this book for my kindle. I had recently seen and enjoyed the movie and was curious for more info. Initially I was wary as I had seen some negative comments about the book being too right wing, too elitist, too religious blah blah! BUT ignore these moaners, they're the types that always pick fault, you know the ones, the faceless types that sit in their bedrooms on their laptops trying to pull others down.
Yes, it's a bit over the top, but with all due respect, Americans usually are. It's in their nature but hey ho!! maybe read books on French heroism..........exactly!! others took a negative view at the 'Navy seals are the best at everything they do!' comments, but you have to understand that they are conditioned to think so, and after him describing Hell Week I can understand his elitism. I served in the British Marines, we all thought we were the dogs nuts......well we are...see, its easy to be proud of the Unit you served with. No disrespect indented, but I would suspect the majority of the detractors hadn't served in a military unit or can appreciate "Esprit de corps".
He also makes reference to the fact that the Royal Navy fired cruise missiles alongside their American counterparts during the opening salvos of the Afghan war, doffs his cap to the SAS and even quotes Rudyard Kipling, which sets him apart from his peers who often forget about the contributions other countries and their troops have made on the War on Terror!
Ultimately, however il-judged their mission was, these 4 guys were brave beyond belief, my only criticism is why they didn't take the goatherds with them, get some distance and then set them loose, but hey, I wasn't there, so my thoughts are irrelevant. They were there and by All accounts, fought like tigers in a hopeless situation and I salute their bravery.
on 29 December 2015
I got this book to help me understand better the situation Marcus was in, I wanted more information than the movie could give, and from his own point of view. I am the wife of a solider currently serving in Afghanistan so I bought this book to help me become more fully aware of the real everyday struggle the men and women face over there. It might have been a good idea, it might have been a bad idea, but either way it opened my eyes.

I think Marcus is a true hero and this book really details that. He fought really hard with his brothers until the end, even when it seemed like there was no way forward he carried on fighting. This book is inspirational and a fantastic read. I think you should read every book yourself before judging it because of someone else's opinions. Everyone is different and many people like to judge others from the safety of being behind a computer and never having to face the person. If you want to read something which depicts hero, a solider, a brave man telling of the true meaning of brotherhood then check this out. I really liked they it included pictures of the men in the story, it helped make it more real.

You won't be disappointed.
review image review image review image review image
Very hard review this, as I am from the UK and my perspective may differ from those of you in the US.

This is the story of Marcus Luttrell, a US SEAL, his training and his insertion with three others into a Taliban infested area of Afghanistan to track an al-Qaeda leader. The mission goes wrong and his team members a killed in a fierce fire-fight and Luttrell only survives because he is given shelter by an Afghan Pashtun tribe who take their oath of hospitality very seriously indeed.

SEALs are elite soldiers and have an astonishing level of ability and patriotism. Generally to the right of the political spectrum, they appear to despise the `liberal lefties' who stop them from doing their job and they see themselves very much as a breed apart. Initially this was a little hard to take, but then when the author guides us through his training, you start to understand where he is coming from, and then astonishing level of brotherhood these guys have for each-other.

This book starts with the author's Texan background and how he was almost `groomed' to become a SEAL, we then go through his training and then the detail of the fateful mission.

Surprisingly emotional as well as action packed as Luttrell's team go down with astonishing bravery and the tragic attempted rescue mission. While the author is MIA, the growing vigil at his family's home, highlights the local and Special Forces community and the deep sense of pride and patriotism they share.

3.5 stars
on 1 February 2014
Lone Survivor is a factual, behind-enemy-lines action thriller on a par with Bravo Two Zero (1993) and Pathfinder (2012).

In June 2005 a four-man US Navy SEAL team occupied an OP over-watching a Taliban stronghold on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. Their mission, Operation Redwing, was to capture or kill a notorious al-Qaeda leader, who commanded 150+ seasoned Taliban mountain fighters and was known to have been responsible for lethal attacks on US marines. Petty Officer First Class Marcus Luttrell joined the US Navy in March 1999 and became a Navy SEAL in January 2002, becoming second-in-command to his best friend, Naval Lieutenant Mike Murphy, with whom he established a bond only soldiers know – a never-leave-a-man-behind creed bled into them on the battlefield.

An explanation of this bond of brotherhood and a full insight into the US Navy’s BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) training is included at the start of the book before we get into the main body of the tale, a battle for life against overwhelming odds. This comes about when the Operation Redwing team, consisting of ‘Axe’, Danny, Mikey and Markus, are rumbled by three shepherds and their herd of goats. Modern war operates under Rules of Engagement and the Law of Armed Conflict so the SEAL team cannot eliminate these shepherds, but setting them free will lead to mission failure and more likely a fight to the death against a well-trained force in their backyard.

What ensues is a last man standing in the most gruelling battle for life I have ever read, losing his team one by one, with severe injuries Marcus manages to evade the enemy by crawling for days out of the area. He is eventually found by a Pashtun tribe who risk their very existence to protect him from the ever pursuing Taliban. Lone Survivor, a tale of how an experienced SF operator survives against unbelievable odds, with the help of a local populace with whom he couldn't communicate so that he could eventually bring his battle brothers dying moments home to their loved ones.

About the Author: PO 1st Class Marcus Luttrell born Huntsville, Texas in 1975. He joined the US Navy in March of 1999, and he has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. His next book: Service: A Navy SEAL at War with James D. Hornfischer, was published by Back Bay Books, May 2013, ISBN: 978-0316185387 and priced €9.50.
Patrick Robinson is known for his best-selling US Navy-based novels and his international best-selling autobiography of Admiral Sir Sandy Woodward, One Hundred Days. He lives in England and spends his summers in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, where he and Marcus wrote Lone Survivor.

As reviewed in the February 2014 issue of An Cosantóir (The Defender) The Irish Defence Forces Magazine by Sgt Wayne Fitzgerald - dfmagazine.ie - military.ie
on 18 December 2007
Having read quite a few of these types of books l was initially dissapointed if only because the writer is always coming out with 'god bless america' and 'liberty and freedom' and 'because i love my country' type comments -and i mean to the point where i nearly had to put the book down... but when the story opens up a bit he lays off that for a while and the book is actually quite a good read -initially he explains what it took for him to first become a seal and then he pretty much goes straight in to the action. Funnily enough the book finishes as it started with comments like ' because i am a united states navy seal' i mean c'mon i think we got that by the end of the book and hilariously it ends with the statement ' god help the enemy and god bless texas!!!! I would say however that he seems to be a nice guy who went through a bad time in those mountains so if you can put up with the 'over american - god bless us type comments - you may actually enjoy the book!
on 7 December 2012
Well I liked the flow of the novel and it is quite informative on the level of mental and physical tenacity that a special forces operative needs to achieve.

However I found the cliched punch lines and the repeated oath to allegiance to greater American patriotism a bit obnoxious and distracting.
on 1 June 2014
The first ¾ of the book is about how the author got into the SEALs. It is all gung-ho, rah-rah, U-S-A-Numbah-One stuff that gets VERY tedious VERY quickly. The author clearly believes he is God's gift to the world and is at great pains to claim that people like him are supermen, with the SEALs being the best-trained, toughest and hardest special forces in the entire universe - since time began. Strange then how they got busted by a 10 year-old goat herd and then wiped out by untrained hill tribesmen within a few hours of the mission! I have absolutely no doubt that the SEALs are great soldiers and elite warriors, but so are 1st SFOD-D, SAS, SBS, Australian SAS, NZ SAS, Sayeret Matkal, Spetsnaz, Kommando Spezialkräfte etc etc etc. Sadly, the author’s main message (and reason for the book) is to repeat ad nauseam just how America is Number 1 and that SEALS are big and strong and unbeatable but that only SEALS can know this because everyone else in the world are oxygen-thieving pansies. It really is that bad. He also engages in some bizarre rant arguing that the rules of war should not apply to people like him and that liberals are the root of all evil and that without them the mighty SEALs would be totally invincible. Luttrell's style is quite alienating and I think he's done the SEALs a great disservice because seriously, people with a brain will laugh at this sort of silliness. I can not imagine for one second any other SF person from any other country other than the USA writing in this style. It is terrible! For a much more humbler account of becoming a SEAL, without all the nauseating arrogance, check out Chad Williams' "SEAL of God". The last bit of Luttrell's book, ironically, shows how the SEALs are, well, normal people capable of making mistakes and are all too human – that’s why they LOST the battle! The “lone survivor” only survived because he was rescued by some Afghans, which kind of makes a mockery of the “I’m the biggest hog on the farm” Texan BS that the author makes as the central theme of the book. Disappointing.
on 23 August 2013
A great book as it was in some respects a love letter to the navy seals, written by a man that has been through some serious, life changing and often harrowing experiences. Extremely brave man, and the book demonstrated that often the human spirit and character will shine, even amongst evil and tyranny, a small group will stand up for what they believe in, and in this case, ultimately saved a soldiers life.

I hope he is receiving the type of post operational care he needs to deal with his PTSD

Well written and sympathetic to the plight of his fallen comrades
on 21 March 2016
Unputdownable exciting, shocking, detailed, well written and described true account. The detail of SEAL training beforehand explains how Marcus survives as a true battle trained warrior. Thank goodness for heroes like SEALS and SAS, SBS and all armed forces. I bought the book after watching the film , unusual for me but so worth it. I'm female, mum and fifty and I couldn't put this down. Thank you Marcus for sharing and RIP to your heroic warrior buddies. Condolences and best wishes to their families .
on 22 January 2015
A very good book. The bloke is clearly not a fan of liberals and I have to say I agree with him, but his multiple rants on the subject become tiresome as does his constant reference to God. But with that said, I'm a nothingist so it would irritate me, and shouldn't turn you off of purchasing the book. The final irritant is the self congratulatory undertone of the whole book, but that's a military thing common to nearly every soldier.

It's well put together and gives you a short, interesting insight into SEAL training and the famous 'Hell Week' that they have to go through, before launching into a version of the story a lot of you will have seen on the telly.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot, and happily recommend it. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has experienced combat in the name of protecting our perceived freedoms and whilst this won't make my top ten, I'm happy if the fella makes a bit of money off of my purchase.