on 16 August 2015
Currently reading, has me interested and laughing
on 3 March 2017
Hilarious but thought provoking as well a wonderfull read.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 April 2010
It was ok. Not something I'd remember. A pleasant read but other than that I've nothing more to add.
on 5 August 2009
I haven't given 5 stars for ages but I really enjoyed this one - one of the author's best. Have passed it on to my 16 year old daughter. Well worth a read.
on 18 June 2009
I love the pure escapism of this book and found myself laughing, crying and totally empathising with Sophie, the spolit but lovable heroine of this story. They only problem i had was the fact that i have lost a whole day of my life and am now dreadfully behind with everything. This book should come with a warning - 'Don't pick me up unless you have free 24 hours!'
on 8 April 2013
I enjoyed this chick lit. I have read many of Colgan' s novels and I have laughed with most of them. This book was funny at times, but there were few. The protagonist was different to your usual female heroine, because she is a character that you dislike, that is until she finds the revelation that helps her see that money and status does not always provide happiness, a cliche but done with humour and realism. I shall continue to read Colgan' s novels. I recommend Amanda's Wedding.
on 18 February 2010
I originally discovered Jenny Colgan by picking up here book Where Have All the Boys Gone? I loved it and was unable to put it down! So when I saw her latest book Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend in a local supermarket, I couldn't resist picking it up.

The book tells the story of a socialite-IT-girl Sophie Chesterton whose life evolves around parties, clothes, diamonds and all things shiny and sparklie, all paid for by her rich father. All seems perfect in Sophie's world until disaster strikes, daddy's gone and so is daddy's money. Sophie is forced for the first time in her life to slum it: moving in with University students, having to clean to pay her way (rather than have a housemaid), working long hours in a low paid job photographing page 3 models (rather than her voluntary work in an excluse fashion photographers), etc.

In the book you follow Sophie's journey as she deals with her fathers death, builds a relationship with her step mother, discovers love, makes new friends and rediscovers old ones, finding out about the interesting and funny experiences that happen along the way. One particularly funny scene is when Sophie uses oven cleaner to clean the toilet, one of the boy students she lives with uses the toilet and Sophie hear's a scream from the bathroom. Hilarious!

In the end you come to care for Sophie and really appreciate the journey and life changing experiences she undertakes along the way. If you love chick-flick-books, a bit of entertaining, light reading, you'll love this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2013
This is a nice light read for when your having a lazy day or when your on holiday. It's not the best from Jenny Colgan but it's not awful. The ending wasn't very good as you could see it coming.
on 25 March 2009
Another Colgan classic. Diamonds are a girls best friend is humerous and addictive - I couldnt put the book down! Definitely one of my favourite's from the Colgan collection.....Buy it!
on 28 January 2009
A really addictive read - fast-paced and funny, but with real heart. Classic Colgan at her best. I loved it!