Customer reviews

The Marsh King's Daughter
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2016
I was confused about the title. Who is the Marsh King, and who is his daughter? Is this some reference to the folk tale of the same name? If so, I didn't get it. Can anyone advise me about this?

Many years ago I read one of Chadwick's books and I didn't think much of it. I thought I would try her again. I read the first few pages and gave up; a few weeks later I came back to it. I have always been interested in John's lost jewels and that chapter (when we first meet Nicholas) drew me in more.

The book's OK. Not terrible, but not great, and I wouldn't read it again.
on 13 February 2010
I've read a number of Elizabeth Chadwick's historical novels in quick succession recently, all of which have been excellent, but this has to be my favourite so far - perhaps because it concentrates on members of the medieval merchant class, rather than the lords and ladies that more usually feature in her books, so there's less in the way of a political backdrop, sieges, the begetting of male heirs and battle scenes. (Not that there's anything wrong with those, of course, but the change was welcome.)

The steamy bulging-of-the-braies and slipping-of-the-wimple romance remains (hooray!) but this time it is set against the wool and shipping trades. Daring escapes from a nunnery, cunning disguises, theft of the King's riches, thoroughly unpleasant husbands, and a nail-biting pirate attack all feature here.

As always, Chadwick's fiction is woven around a framework of known fact, making it all the more fascinating. I've yet to discover another author who recreates this period of history in such a compelling and believable way, and genuinely rue the day that I finally run out of Chadwick novels to read.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2010
A very entertaining read, giving a fictional account of what could possibly have happened to King John's lost treasure when the tide swept into the Wellstream while his train was crossing. The content shows a good knowledge of conditions at the time, and the style flows well and keeps the reader's interest at all times.
on 19 December 2010
Elizabeth Chadwick gives another amazing account of thirteenth century. My preferred titles are related to historical facts which doesn't apply here. All characters are purely fictional but yet again the consistency of their personalities is shown as if they were documented. I read the book in less than 72 hours as all of her books to date.
on 22 April 2015
As usual a well written novel by Elizabeth Chadwick-I liked the main characters and enjoyed the twists and turns in the story. I could picture the foods and fabrics and imagine the houses and furniture.
on 15 August 2014
Another great read from Elizabeth Chadwicks historical novels, hope she keeps writing many more
on 10 August 2017
The book that introduced me to Ms Chadwick's novels.
on 2 February 2018
Reads well
on 18 July 2017
Compelling read, the title didn't really give me an idea of what it would be like.
on 29 July 2014
Love Elizabeth Chadwick's novel - enjoyed this one.