Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2009
Sadly I agree with the other reviews. But whilst I was able to keep going with this book, I found the end somewhat baffling - several of the plotlines and characters were not tied up and Im left unsure where a couple of them fitted in at all? theres a suicide which is never explained and a character who fades out and disappears having initially been a threat? another character who is obviously disturbed but it is never explained why and what happened to her? and I agree that Chandonne is now Panto Villian dreary. What a shame, Ive loved all of PC's books but was very disappointed in this. What is Lucy's angst all about? being pictured in a photo years before and not having mentioned it is surely not a good reason for such torment? I was left wondering if Id missed something. Sadly I would recomnend reading her earlier books if you have not read any, they are excellent, but this one I wouldnt recommend.
on 21 July 2010
In line with many other reviewers I cannot really believe just how poor this latest offering from Cornwell is. In the past I have been a great fan of the Scarpetta series and waited eagerly for the next in the series. The most recent have tailed off a little, leading to some disappointment, but they have been readable and the plot has remained in focus. I was for some reason persuaded (probably by the publicity) that Scarpetta Factor represented a return to her old form. This couldn't be further from the truth. The plot is indiscernable and the initial murder story just drops from the narrative until, somewhere near the end of the story, the victim suddenly makes a reappearance to be linked to what at some point had mysteriously emerged as the focal crime story. There is a lack of linkage between the various criminal characters of the story and members of the crime fighting cast enter and exit the story with no continuity. Basically, it's a drawn out boring mess. Lots of inane, difficult to follow conversation taking place between characters, which had me yawning and constantly wondering if it was time to give up. I did continue to the end but feel I've just wasted quite a few hours of my life. Cornwell used to write page turners I could hardly bear to put down-Scarpetta Factor offered no incentive to pick it up apart from the need to wade through to the uneventful end and move onto something more rewarding.
on 10 March 2012
I tried, I really did. I have read practically all the Kay Scarpetta books, though recently it has been hard work. This latest effort has driven me to write a review, if only to plead with Patricia Cornwall not to share her so obviously recently acquired technical knowledge with us at the expense of writing a good thriller. I really don't want to know how a potential bomb is dealt with, I don't want to know all the technical details of the latest phone devices. I just want a good thriller, such as Ms Cornwell used to write before she started showing off. I am not surprised that poor old Benton is reduced to swearing - I felt like doing so as I struggled to finish this book. At the end I really didn't care who died and who didn't or, indeed, how they died. This is not like me, I am an avid reader of crime, murder and mystery. This didn't seem to fit the bill in any of those categories! Perhaps Patricia Cornwell doesn't actually realise that she is beginning to alienate some of her devoted fans - me for one!
on 28 May 2013
Yet again Kay Scarpetta has thrilled and amazed me with the twists and turns of her cases, the technology, and insight into how post mortems, weapons, and even how all the different investigative side of things, are worked out. Patricia Cornwell takes you down a different path in this book, to the bomb disposal teams in this case. Plus there is the emotional aspect between Kay, Benton, Marino and Lucy. All juggling with how they feel toward each other, while at the same time case working to solve this new case. Brilliant stuff!
on 16 April 2017
I have not read a Patricia Cornwall book in a very long time but I thought I would get back into them. It didn't disappoint it was very good and I will be reading the next.
on 7 January 2010
I so looked forward to the latest Scarpetta novel by Patricia Cornwell. What a disappointment. I haven't even finished it yet. Just can't get to grips with the plot, if there is one. Far to much technobabble. I don't want to be listening to Benton reasoning about a phsyco. To read about Scarpetta's unreasonable anger with everything. Get a life! The characters of Lucy and Marino are totally lost. There is no real story in this novel and I am having a hard time even wanting to finish it but I shall plough on 'til the end. Come on Ms Cornwell lets have a real plot with forensics, killers and all. That's what you are best at.
on 17 May 2017
Unfortunately, the authors' style of writing seems to have changed a couple of books back and this is by far the worst so far. I find myself skipping irrelevant passages and ramblings.
Scarpetta's foray into TV seems a bleak attempt by Cornwell to realise a real life dream of moving her books into film or television. As yet unsuccessful. Earlier stories are by far the best.
on 16 January 2015
I have to admit to not having read this novel in person so I have to report on my wife's opinion of the book. She fully endorsed it as a very good read which in her words is "Well worth a five star rating". She is quite particular about what she reads so enjoy this one and I hope you will find it as gripping as my wife did.
on 28 February 2017
Ding dong the wolfman is dead! Big backtrack to old enemies for Scarpetta and Benton. This book closes the door on some unfinished storylines quite nicely
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 June 2017
What happened to the real Kay Scarpetta?
It is all what I will say....