Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2017
my frame of mind was not correct to read this book having had a double bereavement - i mustered through due to the "recommendation" of a friend
but i did finish it in one day - im sure others could find it interesting
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2007
Mitch Albom has this knack for writing short books that say so very much.

In 'For one more day' the story revolves around 'Chick' and his relationship with his mother.
Upon coming to the conclusion he has reached rock bottom in life he decides to commit suicide which results in him being united with his dead mother 'for one more day'. It is a very emotional reunion as it causes Chick to think about all the times he'd let her down and picked to stand up for (and please) the father who was never there over the mother who never let him down. He also finds out things about her that he never knew before, the sacrifices she made for him and the reason his parents got divorced....

A lovely book that made me think about all the ways I've let my mom down and taken for granted that she'll always be here. I imagine it will provoke that feeling in a lot of you. This is a great book and I will be recommending it to just about everyone I know!
on 3 June 2017
Bought this on a recommendation and did not regret it. Really unique style of writing, so engaging and really moving! Would definitely recommend!
on 10 March 2017
Very good
on 19 June 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this read
on 9 March 2017
Excellent book.
on 13 January 2007
you had the chance to go back in time and spend a day with a loved one that passed on, and be able to say all the things you wanted to tell them but never did, would you have the emotional strength to do it? That is the basic premise of Mitch Albom's very poignant new book, For One More Day. While some reviewers criticize this book for being sappy and intentionally trying to "pull on your heartstrings," I found it to be a well-written, sentimental fable that made me self-reflect on my own relationship with my parents. In the course of my hectic life, I have, at times, made excuses to myself for not giving them the attention they deserved. While I cannot go back and tell my father how much I appreciated all that he did for me when he was alive, For One More Day made me realize that it is not too late to do so with my 89 year-old mother. For One More Day is a book I'd highly recommend to you, and especially so if you've lost a parent.
on 29 November 2006
I first encountered Mitch Albom in the Detroit Free Press, where I came to greatly enjoy the quality of his sports reporting. Despite this, I only bought his first book (Tuesdays with Morrie) after I had seen the movie of the same name, and even then largely because it starred Jack Lemmon.

I've now read all 3 of Albom's books. Once started, they are inevitably finished within 2 or 3 days (and I'm a slow, very deliberate reader). I've thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of them, and though I don't particularly consider myself a spiritual person, I've found them all to be spiritually uplifting. What does that mean? For me, it means that by the time I've turned the last page I'm determined to be a better person.

'For one more day' was a more difficult read for me than the others, as my mother died earlier this year at the age of 84.

I know the phrase "emotional journey" is overused these days but I don't propose to justify my use of such a phrase by sharing what I have taken out this book, since it is deeply personal.

However, I would like to congratulate the author on a book that is very good in its own right, and to say personally how glad I am to have found it at the end of such a difficult year.

So...thanks Mitch.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 January 2008
Mitch Albom can write. This deceptively simple book is both heartwarming and gently inspirational. It leaves you wanting to be a better person and to be sure to appreciate the loved ones in your life.

"For one more day" is the story of Chick Bennetto, a former professional baseball player who has squandered life's opportunities through a combination of poor decisions, bad luck, alcoholism and an ongoing obsession with pleasing his father. He failed to appreciate his mother's constant love and encouragement until it was too late and she had passed away. He resolves to end his own life, but instead he gets one more chance to spend a day with his mother, which changes his life forever.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book. It's highly sentimental and the fiction dressed up as fact aspect irritated me. (Throughout the book you think that it is narrated by Mitch Albom as himself, but in fact it transpires that this is not the case. The ending works well, but setting it up as a true story means that you read the book in a more analytical fashion than is helpful). Also, the characters all feel like they've come straight from Central Casting, lacking the rounded complexity of the wonderful (and real) Morrie in Albom's first book.

Ultimately I think this book hooked because I am a mother, and it made me think about the legacy that I want to leave in my childrens' eyes. It also made me think about my own childhood and my relationship with my parents. It doesn't take very long to read this book, but the warm fuzzies linger on for significantly longer.
on 6 October 2006
I read it in one sitting - couldn't put it down. Albom's wistfullness comes through yet again in his writing. Cried buckets on the last page! Thought it was better than the " The five people you meet in heaven" and that's in my all time top 10.

Have gone to read "Tuesday's with morrie" now ...