Customer reviews

The Rise And Fall Of A Yummy Mummy
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2006
Motherhood used to terrify me. Before I read this I thought to be any good at having kids I'd have to paint the nursery walls with Farrow and Ball, feed them organic babyfood from Fresh and Wild and take them to baby yoga classes from the moment they pop out. Turns out main character Amy Crane worries about all those things too and spends the whole time feeling really inadequate in comparison to her sussed Yummy Mummy friends, superior to her Right On Green Baby friends, and at odds with her own skin. Where does she fit in and who is she now? Polly Williams' description of the career girl turned mum's journey is funny, sharp yet poignant and a reassuring observation that when you have kids you may lose your waistline but you don't have to lose yourself. I'm not a mum yet but when I am, I'll remember to laugh at myself. A classic in the making.
on 30 January 2007
Me and my wife read totally different books. I like thrillers, adventures and suspense and she likes girlie stuff like yummy mummy. So I thought I'd have a go and see what the fuss was about.

I was determined not to like it but it was OK, funny in small parts but not side splitting. Seemed less like a piece of fiction and more like an exagerated version of the author's own experiences and acquaintances perhaps. The main character once a go-getting career girl seemed a bit too dowdy post baby as if she had lost all sense of the style she once had.

OK OK so I'm a bloke and probably don't appreciate how things change for new Mums (at least my wife has told me that!). But think on - the main male character in this book was a good and caring fella and it was the yummy mummy who got him all wrong as she did the shallow, tofu eating pilates teacher!

It was good, light hearted, lightweight reading with some bits that I could identify with (the NCT group took me back to ante-nate classes!). But I'm going to return to a book which actually has a plot!
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2008
This could so easily happen to so many of us!
Good Chick-Lit works when you can relate to the protagonist and their situation, and this is one of the good ones.
Even though my children are now between 17 and 23, I still enjoyed this story of recovery from the whirlwind of becoming a new Mum.
Polly Williams encapsulates so many of the dilemas and ironies of new motherhood and the desire to reclaim your old, energetic self.

Amy Crane feels like an unloved, unattractive, milking machine. Then Alice comes along with 'Project Amy' - an action plan to resurrect the old Amy and bring back some of her pre-pregnancy confidence.
Needless to say it works rather too well and the extra attention she starts to receive has knock-on effects.
Excellent central characters and an effective denouement left me with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes!

I did have a couple of niggles, though not enough to reduce the star rating -
The number of Mums we meet and their respective babies and situations, left me wishing I'd kept notes at the beginning.
And the structure of the sentances meant I frequently had to re-read peragraphs to find what Amy had said as opposed to what she'd thought, or narrated.

Would love to know how Amy coped with her second year of motherhood - any chance of a sequel??
on 13 July 2009
I don't understand why this book has such brilliant reviews. I actually thought the main character was pretty selfish, and it annoyed me throughout my read. I also went through (and still have) low post-baby esteem, and experienced the loneliness, so its not that I didn't empathise, but my heart went out to her partner instead. It was one of those books where I was practically screaming "Talk to him, you stupid woman!" Oh well, the fact it provoked a reaction from me must mean the book affected me :-)
on 11 February 2007
I had read many great reviews about this book and I was not to be disappointed, such a great read and so very funny at times. A few great twists making it a definate page turner, an enjoyable read.
on 16 February 2006
I have just finished this book, and enjoyed every page. As a mother of two small boys I don't read as much as I would like to, yet this was such a page turner I managed to fit it into a day or so in snatched moments...quite an achievement.
Somehow Williams manages to capture almost every insight I had thought was my own: on being a mother, other mothers, nights with a new baby, breastfeeding, the shock of new motherhood, the insecurities relating to loss of identity, libido and multiple other issues. Despite my own circumstances and habitat (both social and geographical) being very different from those of the protaganist, Amy, I identified with her from the first page.
This is a must-read for all pregnant women and anyone who is or ever aspires to being a mother. It might be a helpful read for fathers too.
on 10 January 2006
As a mum of an 11-month-old baby girl, I was delighted to discover that I wasn't alone in the everyday challenges I was facing! This is a funny, poignant and uplifting novel that is hard to put down. Polly Williams brilliantly puts into words the physical and emotional pressures faced by the new mother, as well as the immeasurable joy. Well worth a read!
on 27 February 2007
This is good 'in-between reading' the kind of book I like reading when I need to unwind and phase my thoughts out! It is very light and fresh, a quick read with an engaging story. The plot revolves around new mummy Amy Crane, her rocky relationship with her boyfriend, her rise to becoming a 'yummy mummy' and her fall when her priorities and confused realities fall into place.

A great 'past-time' book!!!
on 3 January 2007
As a not-very-yummy mummy of a toddler (never having found the time for pilates, Hollywood waxes, and maintaining perfect highlights and manicures pre- or post-partum) I can't say I could entirely relate to this book, or to many of its characters. However, it is a light, fun, easy read that will get a few laughs - and will probably skim, if not actually strike, a chord with most mummies.
on 11 June 2006
I read this book by chance, and couldn't put it down.! It's definately a laugh out loud book. Can't wait for more of her work!