Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2017
lovely book
on 26 April 2017
Nice sweet story but didnt live up to expectations.
on 2 May 2017
Enjoyable read
on 17 February 2011
Never thought I would actually finish this book. It has a dull story line and a character that is supposed to be mysterious and dark but is nothing but pompous, stupid and irritating. Having met the twins twice, she feels "they are mine now" - come on! She has the worlds most considerate boss as she takes time off work in every chapter even if it just to buy ice-cream for the children. Overall, the story drags on, it is neither gripping, interesting nor entertaining. Charity shop here I come!
on 15 October 2009
I actually don't know why (as I really tried) but I did not like this book at all. The writing wasn't bad and the character development wasn't the worst I've come across (though the characters aren't all that lovable and rather unbelievable). But somehow I couldn't wait for the book to end. Maybe it could be useful as some kind of self-help book for alcoholists / crime-victims / divorcées / home-wreckers? I don't know - all I know is that I found it incredibly dull and slow-paced - but as said before I really can't explain why. I see a lot of readers agree with me though...
on 1 May 2014
I wasn't expecting the copy to be so used.
Having purchased used books that were like New even though used, I was expecting the same. Not pleased with purchase.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2007
Before I begin, I did enjoy this book. This is the second of DK's novels that I have read and I was anticipating a treat.
The story is well thought out - a woman, escaping her troubles finds herself, rather unintentionally, with a whole lot more - and the bouncing flow of the book brings to life the characters in a really readable way. The plot is there, the writing excellent and the dark undercurrent that runs alongside the story is tantalising.
But. And there is a 'but', the ending fell flat on its face. The build up throughout the entire book seemed to just fizzle out and die and left me feeling let down that the story didnt feel 'finished'.
So, as I say, slightly disappointing. But worth a read anyway.
on 29 July 2007
I absolutely loved My Best Friends Girl and really looked forward to reading Marshmallows for Breakfast. Whilst the book wasn't a disappointment, it certainly wasn't as good as her previous book.

The story portrays Kendra's emotional journey well and Koomson doesn't reveal the events of her past too early on in the book, which will keep interest in the story. When it is revealed your understanding of the character comes together and her personality begins to make sense. The children are very sweet, which makes me think there could have been a little bit more reality in their characters - although their reactions to their parents' separation could be quite close to the truth.

All in all a good read which will keep you interested, but not as good as My Best Friends Girl. Having read this one first I was expecting another excellent book which kept the pages turning and finished in a couple of days. Unfortunately, although enjoyable, it doesn't compare to the previous one. Recommended, but read before you read My Best Friends Girl!!
on 26 February 2012
Having read the two most recent of DK novels, The Ice Cream Girls and The Woman he loved before (both fantastic, really enjoyed them) I was excited about finding an author with a back catalogue i hadn't read - however Marshmallows for breakfast seemed to have been written by a different author, I found it frankly boring and kept wishing i could finish it sooner, was hoping it might get better but unfortunately didn't - The main character was unlikable and to me, came across as selfish and hypocritical.....maybe that was why i didn't enjoy it? Still have Goodnight Nobody to read and i am really hoping it is better...fingers crossed
on 16 August 2011
I had read, and enjoyed "My Best Friend's Girl" and so was really looking forward to reading another book by this author. Sadly I was bitterly disappointed........I just could not get into the story, nor did I want to, and eventually gave up trying. I have not read any further books by this author as worry that they too would be a complete waste of money.