Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2013
Kamryn was Adele's best friend for years and they always said nothing would come between them; that was three years ago when Tegan, Adele's daughter was two years old and Kamryn and Adele haven't spoken since. Not since the day Kamryn found out her fiancee Nate was Tegan's father. Now Adele has written to Kamryn begging for her to come and see her in the hospital, where she is dying.

Kamryn eventually does go to see Adele, where she is asked if she will adopt Tegan when Adele dies. Tegan is with her grandfather and his wife who don't want a child and that is made clear by Tegan's severe unhappiness. Kamryn doesn't want a child at the moment as she has a social life and a great career, but how can she say no to the friend and her goddaughter she never stopped loving?

Kamryn ends up taking Tegan and this book tells the story of the highs and lows of looking after a child, having a successful career and a lot of responsibility along the way. Not to mention, the boss she can't stand but adores Tegan!!

An excellent read, both funny and sad in places. Definitely recommend this book.
on 24 February 2007
Did it not bother any other readers that parts of the story line are completely impossible/implausible? How could Nate not know he was the father when his name appeared on the birth certificate? The only way that could happen was for him to be present when the birth was registered. As soon as I got to this part of the story I lost all interest. I know it's a work of fiction, but Dorothy Koomson (or your editor) do your research better in future.
on 27 July 2006
I purchased this book after seeing that it had been recommended by Richard and Judy as part of their Book Club. Usually I trust their judgment, having enjoyed some of their other picks. In this case, unfortunately, they did not choose well.

As some other reviewers have said, the plotline does sound promising, and indeed the story does start well. 100 pages into this whining, self-pitying tale, I realised that I had made a mistake in deciding to read it. The characters are all one dimensional, the descriptions clichéd (why is Koomson incapable of describing blue as blue, without 'navy', 'sky' or 'steel' in front of it?!) and the narrative repetitive and dull. I didn't give up, though, and read all 448 dreadful pages to reach the equally limp ending.

If you're considering this as one of your summer reads, take my advice and stay away. Koomson could have done so much more, but she's just taken an interesting idea and turned it into the worst kind of chick-lit fodder that no one should waste their time reading.
on 13 August 2006
Fantastic beginning. The first few chapters were very promising very moving and emotional. But past the first few chapters the story went downhill very quickly. Great if you like chick-lit, but that was not what I was looking for. I had to make an effort to finish it. I can not remember when I last felt so disappointed with a book. Badly written.
on 29 October 2006
My Best Friend's Girl is a fantastic read. I would reccomend it to any girl on the planet...probably not for the men though! It was horribly sad in one place and brilliant in the next. WARNING...tissues are required with this book. :) By the way, Jones(Dear old England) is my dad, not me!
on 15 September 2015
Chick lit. but easy reading.
on 9 October 2006
I received this book from my sis as an extra birthday present to take on my holidays - brilliant book very well written , definately not a book to put down once you have opened the cover - I am now looking forward to reading other books by Ms Koomson
on 23 August 2006
I'm a chick-lit fan and this is one of the best books that I've read the past few months.

It made me cry and laugh and I couldn't stop reading it.

The perfect company while lying on the beach!

Don't get a sunburn!!!!
on 10 July 2010
Why oh why I didn't read "My Best Friend's Girl" by Dorothy Koomson when I got the proof from Time Warner (remember them?) in May 2006, I will now never know. Maybe it was because I don't so much like the name Dorothy. Maybe it was because I don't so much like kids. Maybe it was because I am clearly a buffoon, cause it's cracking. And yes, I know Richard & Judy said that before me....

The book tells the story of Kamryn who, following the death of her best friend Adele, takes in her daughter Tegan. We learn what Adele did to break Kamryn heart, we get to know her ex-fiancé Nate, and we meet new love Luke...and along the way we see Kam's relationship with Tegan grow and grow. Other reviews I have read about the book say it's funny and quirky. I didn't find that so much - but I did find it incredibly well written - a beautiful story, told beautifully.

Dorothy Koomson has a really nice website - have a look yourself. Oh, and buy the book.
on 8 August 2009
As i am only 12 years old i thought i would go for a little change so i went into the school library and went to the back because they have a selection of books for the season and picked up this book and i am so please i did! Fantastic read, I thought it was so good i passed it onto my mother and definatly recommend this to any one who just passed by this book and never thought anything about it!. I took it on my holiday and constantly read it and didnt even make eye tontact with the rest off my family! It was a fantastic book and even at the end i cryed aswell as, goign through half the book. As Adele Parks said " i was laughing and crying from page one" that described my emotions so well i even felt like i wrote that remark. Eventhough i am 12 years old i got this book completely and will ditch the children's books and always look at another option of Dorothy Koomson's fabulous books

Written By Annie