The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2015
This is a thought-provoking read. Complete-able within a matter of hours, this novel touches upon issues of freewill/determinism and the manner in which our lives intersect with those from the past, with those who we will never meet, and with those we tried to convince ourselves didn't matter or didn't exist.

There are some really wonderful passages of writing in this novel. Sadly however, the majority of the book is written in a much less clever way. Whilst there are certainly some passages you'll want to read again and again, some of the writing reads far too simply. I'm one for embellishment, so this might just be a personal thing rather than something to put off would-be readers. The ultimate twist of the novel is predictable, although admittedly I do feel that Albom did a good job in the execution of the twist.

Bottom line? Give it a try. A book so concerned with death probably shouldn't be considered nice, but that's my lasting impression of it days on after completing it - it's a nice read. It's not an earth-shattering or amazing read, but it's worth giving it a look.
on 22 June 2017
One of my favorite books of all time, this is my second copy as I could bear to part with it to loan it to a friend... so I bought them a copy. Its a great read and you are in for an emotional roller coaster ride and, yes,you will need kleenx but at the end you'll wish he met more people on his journey.
on 20 July 2014
The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a short, quick read, but it held me captive pretty much from beginning to end, with a little perplexed head scratching to finish with.

Eddie is a difficult character to like in the beginning - he’s a little bit grumpy old man, a little bit endearing old man, and a serving of lost soul. He’s dedicated to his job as maintenance man at the amusement park, respected by his peers and known by regular visitors but there’s still a feeling that he’s floated on the periphery of life for a while.

I really liked the idea of The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and it touches on some pretty deep topics as Eddie moves through heaven, meeting people that he knows, knows of, or was never really aware of, and revealing his life story chapter by chapter. My issue however, is that it was pretty much the story of a characters life dressed up to try and feel more dramatic and thought-provoking than it actually was. It’s sweet in places, moving and shocking in others, but it’s not the kind of book that I finished and felt like I had a lot to say about it.

In short, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a good idea, and has some interesting ideas, but it wasn’t as emotional or compelling as I’d hoped for.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 June 2016
This is one of my favourite books, because of this book I became a Mitch Albom fan and read all of his novels, most of them are pretty good, but never comes close to this one, the Five People You Meet in Heaven has everything you would want to have in a novel. It talks about love, talks about God, talk about forgiveness, talks about the meaning of life in such a creative and interesting way, It involves unexpected surprises which grabs you and keeps you reading with TEARS! I have recommended this book to a few friends and all of them like it. Even a big strong man will shed a tear! Wonderful, inspirational, and heart warming! To me, it is a MUST READ!
on 18 April 2013
This was a really recent read. I found it to be a very easy book to read, I really liked Albom's writing style and he has fantastic ability to tell a story. It is his style and poetic descriptions that stood out and is the aspect I enjoyed most. This book is about a man, Eddie an elderly maintenance worker at a carnival. He is dissatisfied with the course his life has taken and it is not till death that he realises that perhaps it was not a life half lived after all. He dies in an accident and goes on to meet five people whom have influenced his life. It takes you through the different stages of his life. Some of those he meets in heaven are people, who he may never have even seen but he, in some way impacted their lives and they his. As a reader you feel that you are on the journey with him. Liked realising the connections as you pieced together the fragments and memories of his life. The impact of even the slighest thing, altered the course and path Eddie took. Answers are found for questions he has. A very quick read and a short book, no challenge at all to devour!

It seemed a little preachy and overtly keen to spread a positive message. Not necessarily a criticism. Reinforced in the story, is that it is the people in your life that are the most important. Another positive message emphasised is not to dwell, live life to its fullest and not let yourself be shackled by expectations you have created or ones that other believe are key- live your own life.
on 28 February 2015
I was interested to read this book, as I wondered what the focus would be. It follows a recently-deceased man who has spent most of his life in the same town, in spite of having had ambitions in his younger days. When he suddenly dies, he finds himself in a series of 'waiting areas', where he meets individuals from his life on earth. He discovers how his relationship with them on earth affected his and their futures, which helps him to try and make sense of why their paths crossed. The idea is very appealing, but unfortunately for me, the content of the book was rather shallow and subjective. I didn't feel that there was any deeply committed belief of any sort from the writer and I found the whole idea of 'conjecture' rather disturbing. Although I read it to the end, I didn't feel that it lived up to the potential of its title.
on 14 January 2016
This was a nice, enjoyable thought jogging read. A book that really stimulates your thinking about the impact you have unknowingly on people's lives ,and them on ours. I was introduced to ," The five people you meet in Heaven",recently as a study book for my English 'o' level. Thank you Cathy. Mitch Alboms, "The five people you meet in Heaven ", tells the story of Eddie, a maintence man at "ruby pier", a place of which has significant meaning throughout his life. The story"begins at the end". The last hour of Eddies 83 years of life . On Eddies journey through Heaven , he meets five significant people whom had some meaning in his life. They all have a story to tell and a lesson to give. I found interest and meaning in this easy to read little book. I lost my son, whom was also my best friend , at the age of 21,and the story gave me some comforting ideas. The theme of "love" really cut deep. "Love never dies it takes another form". And "memory becomes your partner". Very true. Overall a very interesting view of life on Earth, and in heaven. Alboms,descriptions, vividness and wit, really makes this little book a lovely read. Why not try for yourself!! . Don't expect to read it without a tear or two .
on 27 May 2010
Everyone wonders, at some point in their lives, what happens when you die. And this is what Albom does. However he has gone a step further and developed the idea past vague musings into a solid concept, and shared it with the world. It is refreshing, sweet, comforting and sometimes profound.

Another thing he has done very well is keep his idea as religion-neutral as possible. God is mentioned a couple of times, but it is so brief it does not alienate the sceptics among us and so vague that it can easily be anyone's God. This is essential to the universal appeal of this book, as well as a testament to Albom's sensitivity and maturity.

What he has produced is a very human tale, filled with the good and bad things we all encounter through our lives: love, friendship, disappointment, violence, misunderstanding, resentment, regret. And his concept is that when we die we get an opportunity to look at all these things from afar, deal with the issues which held us back in life and move on to our own personally tailored heaven. Life as we know it is only the first step, when we die we simply begin something else, and the answers we have sought during our time on earth are given to us through the five people we meet in heaven.

There is no doubt that this is a deeply personal issue, one that will vary greatly from person to person, and this book is only one interpretation out of millions. Because of that, there were some things which did not sit comfortably with me, but that can't be helped. I also found the transitions between the five people a little too quirky and fanciful, where perhaps less deserted landscapes, dry warm snow and dark mountains would have been a little more elegant. But on the whole, it is atmospheric, sensitive, moving and always comforting.
on 19 January 2011
I got this book out of the library just beacuse it looked interesting. After I read it (in just a few hours) I bought my own copy and I've read it many times since. I simply can't put into words how wonderful this book is. Its so quick and easy to read but leaves you thinking about it for weeks afterwards. I love books about the afterlife, I find it fascinating reading different peoples interpretations about what heaven really is, or what they hope it could be and Mitch Alboms idea is really unique. We are all affected by the people we meet in life and they are in turn affected by us. I really felt for Eddie, the disappointments he'd faced in life, the awful things that had happened to him and it was wonderful that in the end he found some peace in knowing his existence hadn't been pointless. The last person that Eddie meets was a real surprise for me, I didn't see it coming at all and it was both heartbreaking and breathtaking all at once. I think everyone should read this book, and if you enjoyed this perhaps try "If I Stay" by Gayle Foreman or " For One More Day" also by Mitch Albom.
on 17 March 2018
This book surprised me of the journey it took me through. It did not lead me through the stories as expected. I have read read other books by this author and was surprised at how different each is. The simplicity of this one is touching and deeper than you first might think.