Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2013
I've always loved the writing style of Susan Howatch. Penmarric was the first of her books I ever read and I found it totally engrossing, I enjoyed it just as much reading again, many years later! If you haven't read any of her books then you are in for a real treat. It would be wonderful to see re-prints of all her novels! Both in book form and in kindle format.
on 6 January 2016
How could you not give this 5 stars. Stand head and shoulders above other books. the idea behind this book is so clever and with a little bit of historical research into Eleanor of Aquitaine and her family you will enjoy this book even more. I can't say I like any of the characters much but this book is so clever. I've read it 4 times and will read it again.
on 5 May 2014
I've read the Susan Howatch "Church of England' series and really enjoyed them.
Remembered this book from years ago and downloaded on my kindle to read on holiday. So pleased, as I really enjoyed it. Please stick with the first few chapters, which I found bit confusing, but after that I couldn't wait to be able to carry on reading.
on 11 November 2013
A long read but not difficult and the story swings along happily. The characters are a bit two, dimensional and the men seem to get away with murder, forgiven by the women and society. I enjoyed the setting in Cornwall and it has stimulated me to look up the history of tin mining in Cornwall.
on 17 January 2014
I read this book many years ago in paperback and enjoyed it.When I saw that it was available for the KIndle,I just had to have it.It's a very good read ,and was sorry when I got to the end.
I have now bought The Rich are different and aim to get the rest of the books by this author.
on 31 December 2004
The trials and tribulations of a Cornish family is told through the eyes of four of its main characters. History, passion and hatred all rolled together as they try to untangle their past, their troubles and their future. ''Mark'' dark, distant and lost, finds love in the arms of a women 10 years older than him born into a class so different from his own. The rollercoster effect their marriage has on the people around them and their children will hold you gripped throughout, leading you from 1890 till the end of World War 2. Even at the very end it leaves you wondering should there have been a second book? I only wish that it had.
on 22 May 2016
An extraordinary tale from the differing vantage points of family members more warring than peaceable with one another. It is as psychologically acute as it is dramatic, and revealing of a 19th century class-ridden mileaum A wonderful read!
Justin
on 17 January 2013
I had read this book many years ago and having seen it on Amazon decided to read it again. I did not remember the story at all and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would recommend it to all Susan Howatach fans and to all who enjoy historical novels.
on 1 August 2016
Brilliantly written, loved the individual characterisation, this is the first book I have read by Susan Howatch, and as I am convalescing it's been a great opportunity to read more if her books. I was throughly gripped.
on 17 August 2015
Fantastic book and great writer. Got this for my stepfather, he loves E V Thompson but had read everything, this story is similar to his writing. Descriptive, well written historical family saga set in Cornwall.