Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 May 2008
I'm always on the look out for new sources of questions. When I came upon this one my hopes weren't high, but I should have guessed that the late great Magnus would never have put his name to anything which is substandard. There's plenty of questions in the book, 2,000 by my reckoning, which is pretty good value. Half of the rounds are general knowledge, and the other half are themed. More than that, though, each round is carefully put together so that the questions increase in difficulty, and the last few questions in many of the rounds are absolute stinkers.You'll find a lot of original questions here. I do think this is a book for the regular quizzer rather than families, though. Nothing wrong with that , either.I don't read quiz books for pleasure, but once I started working my way through this one I couldn't put it down until I had tried every quiz over a couple of days. That says a lot. In my humble opinion, one of the best 'straight' quiz books I've bought for a very long time.
on 12 June 2007
Both this and 'Magnus Magnusson's Quiz Book' (ISBN 0751530654) are among the best quiz books around for serious quizzers. Many original, challenging and entertaining questions and very few of the boring, generic questions you find in most quiz books. Well worth buying if you're serious about quizzing.
on 20 April 2009
At the risk of sounding like a complete dullard, I would have to question the appropriateness of this book's title, as a large proportion of the questions contained therein are much too difficult for me and my family to answer.

Whilst I like a challenge, and consider myself to have a fairly broad spread of knowledge, this book has proved to be less entertaining and more demoralizing than I had hoped.

I think it is probably one for those with super intellects or hard-core quizzers rather than mere mortals such as me and my family.
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2010
After much consideration I bought this quiz book as I thought it would offer a good balance between answerable questions and challenging ones. In fact, it's full of ridiculously obscure ones. I'd say I'm someone of at least average intelligence, with decent general knowlegde, yet this book is just packed full of obscure questions, mostly historical, rather than current.

If you want a broader range or more answerable, but not easy, questions, I'd recommend Quiz Master by Nick Holt instead.
on 17 April 2009
I purchased this book to assist in compiling a fun family quiz thinking it would be ideal being a 'family quiz book'. I have to say that although it's a really good book and covers lots I couldn't find enough easy questions for the younger family members so had to source those elsewhere. Very imfomrative otherwise and I'd definatley recommend it.
on 30 December 2010
Bought for an acquaintance, I think she and her family will enjoy using this on those dark, long, cold nights of winter. I almost ordered another for myself but we still have half a dozen similar to get through.

I would say it's for the reasonably educated; nothing like, 'How many weeks in a year' or what's the main ingredient in risotto'? Yes, I'd recommend it.
on 25 February 2011
We bought this book to enable us to 'mastermind' my husband on his birthday. He loves a quiz. We devised some 'specialist' questions and used a random quiz page for the general knowledge part. Good fun. We then invited others to beat his score on the general knowledge section. Pretty testing questions.