TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 May 2016
Excellent easy to read story that I can relate to as Robin Pilcher speaks my sort of language - not surprising as we're the same age and I had a similar breakdown at the same age as the main protagonist in the story the result being was that there were a "lot of bells ringing" as the narrative progressed . This is my third book by him and they're all good but very different from each other- a versatile author.
One person found this helpful
on 8 June 2015
A good example of Ro in Pilcher style
on 3 April 1999
Robin Pilcher, the son of the much admired, talented, Rosamunde Pilcher has a daunting task - to be able to stand on his talents alone without relying on his mothers success. In his novel, "An Ocean Apart" Mr. Pilcher has certainly achieved stardom with this magnificently crafted, heart-warming work of fiction. Mr. Pilcher's novel centers on David Corstorphine who is mourning over the death of his wife, Rachel. Realizing he is no good to himself at home in Scotland, David embarks on a journey to America where he finds a job as a gardner for a family on Long Island. It is here that David begins to put the pieces of his life and family together with the help of his new found american family. The past and present merge together like the newly planted seed which blooms to a colorful rose. Mr. Pilcher executes his prose with the utmost clarity and precison creating a well-paced meaningful novel. Talent does run in the Pilcher household and we can all eagerly await Mr. Pilcher's next novel.
12 people found this helpful
on 10 July 2015
prefer his mothers books
on 1 March 2017
This was the debut novel for Robin Pilcher, son of the better-known writer Rosamunde Pilcher.

David, a businessman who has been grieving and depressed, flies to America for an important meeting. Then he realises he has to start moving on for the sake of his children in Scotland...

Clever plotting as a business thread alternates with David's personal story. While some of the scenes relating to the business went a little over my head, it didn’t matter. David, who is an extremely likeable person, discovers that he can make a difference in the lives of some lonely people. The bulk of the story takes place over about a month, and the pace works well.

The writing is excellent, particularly the characterisation; the author evidently inherited his mother's gift in that respect. There's believable dialogue and some strong emotion, with one particularly moving scene, towards the end. The romance, inevitable from fairly early on, is low-key, only coming to resolution in the final chapter.

I enjoyed this very much both on first reading, and on re-reading nearly sixteen years later. Highly recommended.
on 21 April 2010
I enjoyed the book for the first three parts...good detail and description of emotions ..however the ending was predictable and for David to have been so shattered by the loss of his wife, then only a few shorts months later to set him self up with someone new somehow creates disbelief for his previous feelings that one has just read about. But then maybe men get over these losses better than women.. I must admit I do know of men in real life, who have children and do the same as David..but did they really love their lost wife as much as they claim to? However I don't know of any children who took to a new partner of their newly bereaved father so quickly and easily though. I would have rather had a different ending or at least a longer time elapsed before he "got over" the loss of Rachel so spectacularly.
on 6 January 2000
I tried to give Robin Pilcher's book as objective a chance as possible. I have read all his mother's books, though I really only liked the latter ones like "The Shellseekers" and "September", and when I started on "An Ocean Apart" I really wanted to see him as an author in his own rights. Alas, it didn't work, because - consciously or unconsciously - his style is VERY much like his mother's. And even some of the storylines (like the foodpoisoning)or the locations (Leesport - is there no other place in the USA?) are heavily reminiscent of Rosamunde Pilcher's "Under Gemini" and "September". I think there are quite a few good ideas here that led to way too may storylines or plot and sub-plots. I also find some of it far too contrived and removed from reality. There are, however, some really touching moments, usually the flashbacks which describe David and Rachel's courtship, marriage, first-baby-experiences and Rachel's illness. These scenes give a glimpse of the sensitivity Robin Pilcher is capable of describing. Unfortunately the over-all effect is one of an overload of ideas and subjects the author tried to cramp into one piece of work - less would probably have been more. But if you find yoursef at a loss as to what to do on a rainy afternoon "An Ocean Apart" may while away a few hours for you.
One person found this helpful
on 5 February 2007
Although this is a very long book once you start reading it and getting to know the characters and the outline of the story you just cant put it down. The character of David becomes very real and I was thinking about the book when not reading it. You think about your own family and what you would feel if this happened to you. A lovely story - I didnt want it to end!!
4 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2000
A brilliant story particularly as it's his first!
It's a book full of love, sorrow, despair and happiness that leaves you wanting more. I didn't want it to end and it felt like I'd lost old friends when it did. I hope there's a sequel but if not I hope Robin publishes another one soon.
13 people found this helpful