on 21 August 2017
Superb wee book full of great advice and warnings about terrain. We have climbed a good few Munro's with this book in our pocket.
on 19 June 2003
Ralph Storer does an magnificent job explaining a wide variety of walks, all of which are well thought out to be both interesting and challenging. I am a novice, and used the book when walking with an experienced walker, and we both found the walks rewarding.
I found the times roughly spot on, and if anything a little generous, but I guess there is no 'average walker'. None of the walks I went on were too busy, so grab this book while you can - it's the perfect accompaniment for the walker in Scotland. And at £7, it's a snip!
on 25 February 2009
100 Routes is the best introduction you will find to walking the hills of the Scottish Highlands. The selection of routes is superb, the notes on the routes are accurate and the difficulty / scariness guides are very useful.

It's subjective so there's going to be quibbles. I'd reckon the SE ridge on Ben Lui is a scramble and the exit from Beinn Starav isn't but others could disagree. The book takes you to some wild places and you should expect to occasionally trip. One reviewer complains of this. They should be grateful it didn't happen on the Aonach Eagach where the trip could well have been fatal.

This book taught me about the Highland hills. In his introduction Mr Storer claims that most experienced walkers would argue about his routes rather than his choice of hills. Mostly he's right but now that I know more I'd ride my own obsession that Achallader is better than Dorain and why on earth Wyvis? So he only gets 98 out of 100.
on 29 November 2001
My brother bought me the original edition about 5 years ago when I was planning to head on a peak bagging trip to Scotland from my home in Australia. I planned my whole trip around the walks described in Ralph Storers book. It was a great reference, and as well as providing all the necessary details on the walks themselves, had some interesting info to help you get your tongue around all the gaelic names.
on 7 June 2000
This collection of Storers favourite routes is a superb guide for keen walkers and scramblers. A helpful grading system enables easy selection of walks to fit in with your itinery and adventurousness! Storer concentrates on the most interesting routes and thankfully doesn't ignore the impressive hills which rank below the Munro heigh of 3000ft, such as The Cobbler. However, the descriptions are brief and must be studied with care. On one recent walk I cursed the author when presented with an exposed scramble which could have been tricky in the swiftly changeable weather. Later examination of the text revealed a sentence of extreme brevity that, in hindsight, detailed the terrain quite accurately. In Ralph's defence he does stress that the walker should do his homework and points out that many of the walks are serious expeditions, especially in winter. Where this book fails, however, is in it's format. The contents are a compilation of his other works and I would recommend purchasing the individual titles, which include beautiful colour photographs of the crags, peaks and ridges described. The images simply make you crave to be there! By comparison'100 Best Routes..' appears grey and uninspiring, with only a handful of grainy black and white photos.
on 7 April 2003
This is a very useful pocket guide to the best Scottish mountain walks. The author has put in ingenious tabulated guides to difficulty, under the headings of Grade, Terrain, Navigation and Seriousness, and has packed a great deal of information into a small paperback.
However, I agree with the other readers who find his routes tricky to follow. The first one I did involved following a very broken down stalker's path. I used to love to follow these ingeniously devised old routes, but in this case the path was collapsing and I suddenly ended up rolling uncontrollably down a bank into a river and came to rest with my head a few inches from a large boulder! Had a sore ankle for a week or two, but luckily it was the last day of my holiday!
Ralph Storer is quite inspiring, so I shall try some more on my next Scottish trip, but with some caution.
on 10 November 2009
I bought the first paperback edition of this book almost 20 years ago when I moved to Aberdeen and I bought this updated version a few years later. 100 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains really grabbed me and, as the book said, it 'stimulated me to head for the hills' on a regular basis, whenever I thought the summits would be clear and the visibility good. Like other reviewers I could pick holes here and there. I think, for example, that the emphasis of what makes the Ben More Assynt walk a grade 5 walk is not as suggested in the text the traverse of the southeast ridge which involves 'several awkward moves across exposed slabs requiring care'. I found this relatively straight forward. The route of descent however, which is described merely as 'steeply at first but becoming easier lower down' I found to be alarmingly steep and I was acutely aware that one false footstep could have lead to a fatal fall. This point aside, I find no fault with this book and it has given me many days of wonderful hill walking.
I'm not one of these people who intends to climb every single Munro. However, I would like to think that one day I will be able to say that I've walked all the walks in this fine book. 58 down, 42 to go!
on 8 January 2008
A bit sketchy in places which is the last thing you want as some of these are serious mountains. Also says on the back that 'all routes are circular', when this is not the case. Locations also a bit vague sometimes, would look elsewhere.
on 26 June 2009
A useful guide to the best of scottish hill walks and mountains that I enjoy browsing through. The sketch maps are clear for each walk that I have completed so far although obviously they shouldnt be used instead of the relevant local map.
The only downside to the paperback version that I bought is the walk location map at the front of the book. The numbers given to each route are so small/cramped that you cant actually read them to see where the walks are located within Scotland. Never mind though, its still a good little book!
on 13 December 2007
had mixed experiences with this book... Ben Cruachan was fine (sorry sp!), but the route up Slioch failed to mention a stream you need to ford - we tried to do this walk after a few days of rain, and wasted a good hour trying to cross the raging torrent it had become...

You should also note that the description says all routes can be done in a day, but there's a few which can't (admittedly, these are mountains remote from roads so there's no way you could do them in a day, but...)