Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 1998
Sometimes I can figure out "who done it," but not this one. It keeps you hooked until the end. A monk who has been with the order for 18 years is seriously injured, and given Last Rights. He wants to give a final confession: That he killed his former lover and their unborn child! Alas, he eventually recovers from his injuries, although permenantly crippled. He goes in search of the girl's mother to confess to her and ask forgiveness. He goes on foot, with crutches, accompanied by Brother Cadfael. The story doesn't become an strange mystery until he arrives at his destination. Then, you're on the edge of your seat until all the questions are answered. A very good book, as are all of Ellis Peters' Cadfael stories.
on 22 January 2002
Ellis Peters gives us another lesson on emotions - love can be beautiful and terrible, love can be forbidden, love can become hatred. Amazingly, we can find this in the Abbey of St Peter and the confession of Brother Haluin but this confession is only the beginning and Brother Cadfael will have to help two young lovers, so they won't suffer the fate of two young lovers of the past who were victims of love and hate. Beauty and age are another underlying theme and never Ellis Peters got so close to the sins of the flesh and mind.
Hard core Cadfaelians may find this particular story too simple as you can pretty much from the beginning assumes what is about to happen. Yet Ellis Peters still keeps her writing style and has points to make. She will keep you off balance so you are not sure that you know the answer. In an interview on the DVD of Brother Cadfael - A Morbid Taste for Bones (1994), Ellis peters said that because they have trouble adapting her stories for video, which she would attempt to simplify the stories.
Although I have read the book and am sad that they did not make a video of this journey, I must say that Stephen Thorne's reading gives an added dimension to the story allowing you to race ahead or contemplate the past as he make the characters come alive with his unique voice for each.
This of course is book 15 in the series and so many things have been said, does not need to be said again. So lets hear the confession of brother Haluin and sojourn trough 12th century England with him as he takes a journey of the soul.
on 25 April 2016
This is really two stories. The sins of Brother Haluin have to be confessed and hard penance undertaken but then another part of his life unfolds with its drama. Matters of the heart are the issues in each part with unexpected discoveries at each stage. The writing is clear and a pleasure to read. Cadfael does not fail in uncovering the loves and pains that bring about suffering and joy.
on 3 May 2015
As always, Ellis Peters lives up to my expectations of another good book. I know that there will be a murder and I know that there will a pair of star-crossed lovers, but I enjoy the style of writing and the historical background information. This book has both of these aspects plus a story of lies, deception, lost and bitter years for Brother Haluin! A good read, once again!
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2015
So, I am a hardened Cadfael fan. This is weak plot with a murder and no investigation to speak of. It is contrary to everything we have come to expect from the super-sleuth. The plot is transparent and we know right from the off, what the outcome is going to be.
Just not up to the usual standard but I suppose one must indulge as a fan.
on 6 November 2014
I am delighted that Ellis Peters Cadfael series has reached Kindle. I've bought the lot and cleared my bookshelves of the paper books, as I much prefer having my library on Kindle and space in my rooms. I enjoy these historical mysteries and like the character of the old monk, Cadfael, who has seen much of the world and voluntarily left if behind. It makes him much a more humane character. They express the toughness and hardship of the age without gratuitous violence.
on 4 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as usual. Knocked one star off as some of the names got very confusing along with the situations and relationships. I nearly had to write out a family tree and map. But the story itself was excellent
on 25 January 2016
This is another enjoyable read in the Cadfael series. I have read it before and on a second reading I did find myself querying some of the plot. I won't spoil the story for new readers by saying why. Read it and see what you think.
on 10 September 2015
As I am a Brother Cadfael fan I can only say that this one was just as good as all the other Ellis Peters stories. I am currently working my way through them and at presently I have just finished No. 18.