VINE VOICEon 12 March 2013
This version of the book has clearly not been proof read and becomes increasingly scattered with non-sensical words. I assume that this electronic version is a scan of the original document that has had character recognition software run through it, spell checked and put out immediately for sale without being proof read. (there is a tradition of the early Clive Barker short stories being re-released in shocking rip-off format) The stories are mostly good (however not nearly as good as his later novels) but for the price the confusing mis-types are grating - several per page in some sections. Buy the paperback.
7 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2015
I'll have to go a bit against the grain here. I bought this collection after looking up a few 'most scary/terrifying' reads lists and noting that Books of Blood appeared on most of them. 'Sounds good!', I thought after reading and being royally creeped out by some previous list entries so I downloaded this book and settled in.
I can't say I was scared, or terrified, or even slightly creeped out to be perfectly honest. Grossed out? Yes. A bit bored? Well, yes that too, which is strange as the man can certainly write and some of the imagery is excellent however it just felt flat to me; I couldn't engage with the stories at all. And some of them - Murder on the Rue Morgue, for one - felt mildly daft. I know suspension of disbelief is required for many stories of this genre but it's a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous.
If you are like me, a 'Sixth Sense' kind of person who likes chills and shivers - actual ghost stories - for want of a better description, then this probably isn't for you. If you are a fan of gore (and I do mean some serious nastiness, it's purely opinion and I have a strong stomach but personally I found 'Rawhead Rex' to be particularly obnoxious) and 'Hostel' is your bag then look no further.

Not my cup of tea though.
on 19 October 2016
Bought again (my original copies fell apart.
Given 5 stars for the stories
But would have only given 1 star for this print of the books (cheap) for the price
But to be fair, at least we can still buy them - be in print since 1984
on 28 December 2015
received the book within a few days of ordering in the condition described , it is in good condition and has a different cover than illustrated but a better one with more art work so I'm very happy with this book .not read this book yet as I'm going to watch the movie first.
on 11 January 2015
Stunning collection of short stories that flung Clive Barker into the public eye as one of the leading horror writers. There is something of interest to be gleaned from every one of these stories.
on 8 February 2018
Nice book
on 8 August 2012
There are far more detailed (and better) reviews here than anything I could write, so I'll simply say, Books of Blood is my all time favourite collection of horror stories. Clive Barker has a knack for capturing your mind and drawing you deep into the crazy worlds and concepts he creates.

Wonderfully written, darkly imaginative, and highly addictive reading.
on 19 November 2013
Re-visited Barker's books and they have aged well. Still relevant, still scary and a perfect example of his kinky macabre style. Read them - thrills a plenty.
on 21 March 2016