on 20 March 2017
A presentable pack. I've yet to start the course though!
on 2 August 2017
The best basic German language book you need.
on 21 April 2010
I am an MFL tutor in adult education college and have seen many different course books and materials.
In my opinion, this course book would be difficult for students studying alone. It assumes an ability to
grasp grammatical concepts that can be very unfamiliar and it moves on at an ambitiously fast pace.

It would be fine for use in a class where there is a teacher who can explain the difficult concepts and can
slow things down, and provide exercises for practice. I've given it 3 stars because it is offered as a self-study
guide, which I fear could lead to disappointment for many people, who could well wrongly come to think it's "just them not
being able to study a language".
on 10 October 2003
I am a great fan of the Hugo language series and I have both the Russian and German "In three months" books. When the new series was released with CDs instead of tapes I got quite excited really! Sad I know, but it was great to have a look at what had changed and see if I could understand any other sections better. I was very impressed with the new series and it's really helpful to have the conversations on CD so that one can follow them through with the book. In my opinion these set of books are the best "Teach-Yourself" langauge books on the market and I'm looking forward to buying the new "Russian in three months" book and CD when it is released.
The best language series by far!
on 22 February 2006
What impressed me about this book was the logical way everything is built up: you simply never come across something you haven’t been properly prepared for, which suggests it’s been put together with the help of student feedback. Other self-study guides are more careless in this respect, and leave you sometimes wondering if you’ve bitten off more than you can chew, when there’s simply been a lack of attention to detail on the part of the writer.
It’s not perfect, of course (complete grammar tables in an appendix would have been useful, for instance), but its only real fault is a shortage of exercises, which was mainly a problem in Chapters 3 and 4, where the accusative and dative cases are introduced. Where German is concerned, this is the steep part of the learning curve and there’s just no getting around the need to practice these cases pretty intensively before there’s any point moving on. I ended up having to put the book aside for a week so I could work through my own exercises. This did the trick, but it really shouldn’t have been necessary.
As for the claim that you can learn German in three months without an immersion course? Well, maybe and maybe not; but the recommended one hour or more of study per day adds up to more than 90 hours over three months, so it’s not at all unrealistic provided you can spare that amount of time.
on 29 December 2007
I had high hopes for this book/CD course but was left disappointed.

The concept behind the course is to spend an hour per day studying one section. Unfortunately, some of the sections are pretty minimal and don't offer anywhere near a good description of the topic being covered. In additional there is little in the way of exercises to practice your newly acquired skills. Often I would reach the end of a section and have little comprehension of the topic being covered. Also, many of the practice dilogues were somewhat strange and of little practical use.

Finally, the audio provided on the 3 CDs could have easily fitted onto to 1 disk. The only reason I can think why they did this was to give the impression that you're getting better value for money.

Having studied French for several years, I have a reasonble idea of what to expect from a foreign language course. I think this course would suit someone who already has some knowledge of German but is a bit rusty and just needs a refresher course, although it is a little over-priced. If you're a complete beginner then definitely look elsewhere.
on 15 July 2010
I've completed this book after five years. It's very heavy on grammar with lots of tables of word endings/changes, but it is worth sticking with. I now have a good understanding of the language. Maybe if you have nothing else to do in life you can complete it in three months.
I think the author has forgotten what it is like to be a complete beginner.
on 25 June 2000
A good book. Well written by a native speaker for new comers with enough lessons to rapidly develop your vocabulary. If any criticism slightly underplays the amount of private work required to use the book fully.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 May 2015
Excellent book with three audio CDs. Easy to use and easy to understand. The course requires you to study for about an hour every day for three months.
on 6 December 2012
The book boasts that you will attain a good working knowledge of German in a mere three month period, which is of debatable merit. While she lulls you into a sense of security for the first seven chapters, easing you into the language like a lathering, hot, relaxing bath, she then proceeds by jerking you back out by your gonads: dangling you!

But of course this shouldn't be a surprise, since you must have paused to contemplate the inevitable choking from cramming large language pieces into your head without chewing it sufficiently - Everything she writes is succinct, and I would advise anyone who decides to proceed with this book to pay close attention to what she writes: no verbosity included.

Do keep in mind, however, that she does not aim to be comprehensive, but instead to give you a firm grasp of the very basics and then the most important aspects of the more advanced language components. (The book subjects you to the more advanced parts of the language presumably so that you are aware and have some basis to understand more advanced texts.)

In the preface she says, "[you] will probably be studying alone at home", to which is her audience. However in my opinion, an attempt to tame this book solely through self-study (especially as an Anglophone monoglot), will likely, and ironically, slow you down. To which, I would highly recommend you compliment this book with Schaum's Outline of German Grammar, 4ed: 420 exercises with answers (Schaum's Outline Series) - an excellent and comprehensive workbook - will elaborate on what you have learnt here through practice.

I completed the book in 6 months due to being too cavalier and insensitive to her succinct writing style, and I do feel I have a good working knowledge of German through it.

The conversations and the reading practice articles (graded per chapter) at the end of the book were a fantastic way to exercise and build confidence in my proficiency.