on 28 August 2011
What an amazingly brave woman, and this is such a sad story. Very well researched and really makes the heroic events of SOE come alive.
on 16 February 2013
I first heard about Noor Inayat Khan when her statue was unveiled recently & when I saw this book on offer I happily grabbed it. It was a fascinating read - so many aspects of undercover work that I'd never thought of. It's great that this incredibly strong lady's story has been highlighted at last.
on 12 September 2014
An excellent account of this young ladies life and unfortunate death. To be alone in a foreign country facing death at every turn would test the strength of any man, her strength and courage is an example to us all.
on 12 July 2015
I recently got back into reading and am not really fussed about genre, fiction or non-fiction - I'm just after a good read.

With that in mind, I purchased this book and must say I enjoyed this from first page through to end. Really interesting storyline and I couldn't help but feel for the main character Noor in this book, my only negative is that (this is likely due to a lack of factual information from what is available on the public domain - id expect), there does seem to be a bit of repetition and going off in irrelevant lines but that's just me, you may not feel the same? Really great book and it has me more interested in history in general so I am on the lookout for more of this type after this read...
on 19 March 2015
Highly-readable book on Second World War state terrorism and sabotage that is informative, educative and well-written.

Where it fails is in properly explaining why an Indian fought for the British Empire; given its White supremacist occupation of India and the fact that appeasement and collaboration never work.
on 16 March 2014
I came across this book in Waterstones, by sheer chance. I bought it as a present for someone else, but in the end read it myself, while being sceptical about how much exactly could be known about this woman's work as a radio operator in Paris in the war. In my view the commercial title does an injustice to this book, about a very remarkable young woman, who, nevertheless, I feel should have left Paris when she had the chance. Her poor family.... and what suffering she endured in the end at the hands of the Nazis. Latterly I have visited her bust in Gordon's Square in London, which I would also recommend. How easy it would have been to fall in love with such a one as Noor Inayat Khan.
on 24 June 2014
Very sad ending for a heroic woman but was she just an expendable soldier at the end of the day?
I disliked the beginning part of this book as the home detail was tedious and in fact I put it down for some months but felt I owed it to Noor to struggle through that to get to the meat of the story.

The latter part of her life in France appears to capture the constant fear these Operators must have encountered and your reading becomes compulsive to see what happens next. The outcome has of course been revealed far earlier but never the less it is shocking in its brutality. A good read about a very brave woman.
on 12 August 2014
This makes for great, but, also sad reading. Miss. Khan is one of the forgotten, when she certainly shouldn't be. This lady's bravery and courage saved, who knows how many lives. She was alone, and at one point, the only operator transmitting from Paris. Wow! Miss. Khan definitely deserves her place in our history, and should always be remembered. A true heroine.
on 29 January 2015
Brilliantly written,covering every aspect of this young woman's extraordinary life. I could not put it down it made me happy,sad extremely angry but ultimately very proud.A five star read from start to finish.
on 10 December 2012
Not a particularly well written book, but it does tell the (true) story well. So often we hear of heroic manly exploits involving daring raids and battles etc. but this relates the quiet and unassuming extremly dangerous hidden underground work of communications between the UK and the resistance that was often undertaken by women...no, by young girls....who volunteered for it. Their lives were in constant danger and all too often brought to a nasty and untimely end by the enemy as in this case. All long before the days of the compensation culture, Health and Safety or post traumatic stress syndrome of course. A truly remarkable and heroic woman!