Customer reviews

on 16 June 2010
For years I have watched numerous Air Crash Investigation programmes on National Geographic, it's only the past one to two years that I've gained more interest in the world of air accident investigations and decided to buy books on the subject. I already have a few books on the subject, covering different aspects of AAI and decided to buy this to add to my collection.

I actually found this book hard to put down and so read it within a week, which for me is pretty good! Chapter after chapter is crammed full of detail covering all aspects considered in accident investigations, with plenty of examples cited from accidents, some well known and others not so. If you have previously watched Air Crash Investigation documentaries on National Geographic (UK) then some of the accidents mentioned in this book will be familiar.

What I did like was that the author had delved into some of the theories behind how investigators had deduced their final decision on why an aircraft had crashed and the various stages involved to reach that decision. Of interest was the various problems encountered by the DeHavilland Comet (the world's first commercial jetliner) and the tests done to work out why it was involved in many 'accidents'.

For those reading who are perhaps a bit nervous when it comes to flying, the author also explains what solutions have come about from air accidents and the resulting investigations to make flight safer and accidents of a particular nature less likely to happen.

This book is a mixture of well written and knowledgeable text with supplementary photographs (all black and white), diagrams and charts.

My interest in air crash investigation has stemmed from my overall interest in aviation so whether you are just an aviation enthusiast, an aviation professional or perhaps neither, I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 29 April 2013
This book is most interesting and informative. Anyone interested in air accident investigation would be engrossed in the enormous amount of detectivework which goes into every air disaster and reassured that lessons are always learnt to avoid these happening again. A thoroughly absorbing read.
on 14 April 2009
To be short & sweet, this book by David Owen is superb, & anyone with even a slight interest in ACI, will be glad they bought this book. It is a 'must read!'
on 26 July 2013
I have several of the AAI books they are a great read, I do enjoy watching people see me read them on a flight.
on 9 March 2015