Customer reviews

on 28 October 2013
It is a book to give anybody who sails in the Mediterranean to make their voyages more intersting. Every yacht in the Med. should have this book on board.
on 16 June 2016
Found this book in the German edition over forty years ago whilst living in Germany, and was immediately caught up in it. At first reading it became so lively to my own taste, recalling the thrill that every Greek feels in the old tales and I presume their racial memory of times gone by, daring deeds and the present Greek Islands, that I immediately read it again, while ordering another two in English, one for my Dad, who was born in Ithaca, and one for me. I have read it in two languages again and again and recently ordered one for a friend in America. It brings the Mediterranean and Odysseus alive in a new light. My father was equally thrilled and read it several times before he passed on, I am South-African born and presently live in Switzerland, but am also a citizen of Ithaca and it seems that no matter where in the world a Greek of the Islands dwells, something in his blood always recalls the past, much as in Bradford's wonderful account of hearing the Sirens while on night patrol on the British destroyer he was navigating. He also gets the true Greek take on Odysseus completely right, the cunning fox, the canny deceiver, the incorrigible hothead who would take on the Gods, themselves. Perhaps this book is not to everyone's taste, but, as a Greek, it certainly is to mine.