Customer reviews

Once Upon a Tower: Number 5 in series (Happy Ever After)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2014
The whole story is a little slow which made it a bit difficult to finish. I have read two other Eloisa James books and I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others. The characters were not as engaging and although the story had some interesting parts it sometimes repeated itself. Also the tower did not pay much of a part, only appearing near the end of the book, therefore the story was a bit different to the one I was expecting after reading the title.
on 6 June 2013
I love Eloisa James and her books, but was very disappointed in this much awaited story. The characters (especially that of Gowan) were immature and a little irritating. The characters get together fairly on in the book, and spend much of the remainder of the time annoying each other (and me).

The last few chapters saved this from being 2 stars, and fingers crossed that Eloise's next offering raises the bar again!
on 16 April 2018
excellent
on 1 July 2013
I couldn't make myself finish it as it was so bad. I really do not like the Happy Ever After Series. It's all so contrived
on 25 September 2013
Most of Eloisa James books are based around old stories but this went straight for the story and seemed a bit silly in places.
on 2 July 2013
I loved this version of the Rapunzel fairytale with the Regency twist, just as great as her 4 previous fairytale books. The characters are well thought out and it almost makes you wish for a tower of your own to hide in!
on 26 September 2013
Eloisa James is one of the best writers of historical novels but with a contemporary twist. Her books are always beautifully written; funny, engaging, intelligent and with enough spice to be hot. Her leading ladies are thoroughly modern in their outlook, so whilst I'm sure that they are not historically correct, they are highly enjoyable. Gowan is just brilliant. What begins as a stuffy, aristocratic character soon becomes a witty and then heart twistingly loveable man. I'm genuinely surprised by some other reviews saying its not up to her usual standards. Whilst not as good as the Ugly Duchess, I thought this much better than Seduced by a Pirate
I did like this novel, but I've preferred others in this series. I think it probably didn't help that Rapunzel isn't my favourite of fairy tales, and it did take a while to get to the tower (to the point where I was wondering how it could be based on Rapunzel if she didn't go and live in a tower). I still enjoyed it - I liked the leading characters and the strong role of music throughout.
on 30 June 2013
But it did enthrall me as much as the last few fairy-tale romances Eloisa has written. Typically of Eloisa it was very romantic and very well written. I'm looking forward to her next offering in this series.However, I would have liked it to have been a little longer. I would have liked a longer period of courtship/wooing between the main characters. This is a personal preference as I found the love scenes a little akward and I think it would have been better if Gowan had romanced Edie more. Although, I know this is what Eloisa was probably trying to achieve in regards to the awkwardness of some of the love scenes. But still this is a very good book, typical of Miss James wonderful style of writing. It's not my favourite of the series but a nonetheless very enjoyable. My favorite is the Duke is Mine :)
on 2 June 2013
Before starting this review I should admit that I am a huge fan of Eloisa James's previous novels and was looking forward to this one (pre-ordering it on Amazon.) I wasn't disappointed. Both characters are well rounded, the writing is wonderful and witty and of course, the romantic ending is extremely moving. (There are also some wonderful jokes for fans of Julia Quinn's novels!)