Calculated in Death: 36
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 April 2013
I know that JD Robb has received some criticism about the formula of this book, but in all fairness, she knows her readership very well. Certain things are expected and would be missed if not included in the storyline. The Eve Dallas characters function much like a family, and while we get the usual sexual tension between Eve and Roarke, bloody murder and the solving of the case, we also get to see that the characters are progressing. Eve isn't having quite so many nightmares about the bad old days, Trueheart is going for promotion and the whole 'family' has a part to play in the outcome - one way or another. it is formulaic, but this is driven by readers expectations, and on its' own, 'Calculated' stands as a ripping good yarn. Robb writes very well, and whether you like this kind of novel or not, she is a master of her craft. I enjoyed this immensely and look forward to the next instalment!
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2013
If you want a review of the book itself - skip this one. It's more a review of some of the reviews ... though I just loved that the coat finally got a try-out ... and the baby catching incident!
Having read some of the latest reviews of this book, I felt I had to put in my twopenneth! I've been hooked on JD Robb since picking up a copy of Naked in Death in 1995 - when it first came out (and when the name Nora Roberts only appeared under the copyright). And then battling to get hold of the next book from the US in the days before widespread internet availability, and before they were published in the UK. I've also just finished a complete re-read of all 36 novels, the short stories, and the half-book in chronological order. While the latest wouldn't be up there with my favourites, I can say that the series goes through cycles (they can't all be 'wowsers') - and just when you wonder if another jawdropper is ever going to arrive, one appears - often followed by a second, and very occasionally a third. It's only 3 books since Treachery and New York to Dallas - both of which (particularly the former) were superb. To those reviewers suggesting it's time to end and go out on a high - go back and read them all! When read in sequence the slightly more mundane ones actually gain new momentum, and read much better.
And for those who think the family links are pretty much done and dusted - what about grandparents?? Aunts and uncles? Evil twin?
And finally - although Eve and Roarke really aren't ready for a child yet (it's not that long since they were both nearly freaking out over Bella Eve) - I think the possibility has great potential, and if you read through them, you can see things progressing towards this. Possibly. Perhaps.
Absolutly no way these books should end yet.
on 6 May 2013
How Ms Roberts manages to split her incredible imagination to weave so many different strands into her various genres is amazing, from romantic novels, supernatural or suspense to her "In Death" series a futuristic police procedural she holds my attention from the start to finish. I love all her genres but as with many of her other series I have followed the story of Eve Dallas and her husband billionaire Roarke from the beginning; for me, her novels are unmissable, they draw me along at a tremendous pace and I can't wait to the get to the final chapter, which is totally ridiculous because I am on pins until the next In Death is available in September. I just love her characters, Eve, Roarke, Peabody and McNab, Mavis and Leonardo and Trina who Eve would rather go 10 rounds with the latest villain to avoid her ministrations. There are so many characters and they are verbally o well drawn that I feel I know each and every one of them personally and care about them. If you haven't read J D Robb you will miss a treat. I hope I have done her justice, it is hardly surprising she has so many awards and fans world-wide.
on 21 March 2013
Before I start lets just say I love J D Robb, want to marry Roarke (if I could think of a way to get rid of Eve without getting killed) and will still buy the next instalments but something is wrong! The books are about the same length in page style but there doesn't seem to be the interaction that there was in previous novels. I can't quite put my finger on it but it all seems so abrupt.

I felt this in her last novel as well and this incarnation has not changed my mind. Yes the usual characters are here but they seem to flit in and out so fast you never get a chance to get a grip of them. The murder mystery was excellent, a woman found on the steps of an apartment no coat, bag or anything else for being out in the dead of winter. A very thin margin of clues which took some putting together, but Eve and Peabody did it, but this isn't why I love these books.

A fundamental part of the Novels for me is Eve's developing relationship with all the characters, her bewilderment in their place in her life, often her reluctance (in the case of Summerset) to admit she cares at all. This seems to have deteriorated and with it the magic of the books. A previous review said they feel that there is a checklist to the formation of these books and once an item has been ticked off the author moves on. I don't think so. I think she has gotten lost in the emotional aspects though and this is proving very lacking now, less gore and more depth would be appreciated in future novels please Ms Robb, open up the characters again let us see what they're really made of.
on 22 March 2013
I love this series of books and have them all now including the latest Calculated in Death. Already i can't wait for the next one to come out! I just wish that Nora could write them more quickly. I thought that this plot was particularly well thought out and i'm on my second read of the book already.

When I first came across this series, i enjoyed the stories about murder written in the future. I was also intrigued by the descriptions of what life was like at the time that the stories are set. I soon stopped thinking of them being far fetched as life and IT is moving so quickly now it is really so believable as is what America and the Weternised world may well be half way through this century. I read Calculated in Death on my Kindle but have also ordered a hard back copy to give as a gift to a friend.
on 12 February 2014
All the JD Robb books I have selected feature Lieutenant Eve Dallas & her sidekick Peabody. They are helped by Eve's husband Rourke who is a bad boy turned good. I found the police techniques of the future fascinating yet surprisingly similar to those of today. The perpetrator of the crime is usally identified very quickly but the gathering of evidence to secure conviction is spell binding.
on 8 April 2015
Having read all of the "in death" series so far, I have enjoyed all of them and have always looked forward to the next one in the series.
After looking at some of the reviews, I did seriously consider whether or not to buy this one.
My advice? Buy it!
It is as good as any of the other books in the series. 👏👏
on 6 March 2013
I enjoy these books, and bought this one knowing that so many titles into a series there would be a certain amount of 'formulaic' going on. The story carried me along the way they generally do, but I was left feeling that nothing really happened. None of the characters have moved along in any way, except for Galahad who we now know categorically doesn't like panthers - baby or otherwise. I don't think I will buy the next one. I may wait for it to arrive in my local library, but I think this series may have run it's course for me now, certainly at the price they cost.
on 6 August 2013
As usual the book was great but this time it seemed to have an edge about it, there were the usual people there but they had an extra side to them, a lot more humour and insight, Peabody had me in stitches trying to show more boobs at the door and the idea that Dallas was going to help her do it had me in hysterics, please keep this extra rapport in your future books it really makes a difference.A first class book as always, thank you
on 1 April 2013
I have so far waited excitedly for each new book in this series. Now for the first time I was disappointed.. The characters were there, but the plot did not hold me. For heavens sake... promote Dallas, give her something she can't solve, get her pregnant, kill off Feeney or Mavis ( irritating character anyway) but inject something new into the story line instead of the same old, same old...

Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki