on 2 November 2014
this book is fantastic, although very hard reading for me at times. I suffer from chronic pain and was recommit this book to accompany a pain rehabilitation course. I could identify with some of those awful feelings that were described by some of the patients in the book. At first I thought this would be a really namby pamby thing to do and that it wouldn't make any difference, how wrong I was. meditation does really help me to try and combat the negative effects that pain has on me, both physical and psychological. if you are in pain and suffer with depression,anxiety and stress give this book a chance. It might be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Good luck xx
on 12 March 2015
This is an excellent, well laid out book which is easy to use as a self-help tool if you are not able to attend one of the 8-week courses. I'd recommend it highly to anyone dealing with chronic illness - or anyone at all, really. We all have to deal with stressful life events, whether or not we have an illness, and mindfulness can be a path that helps us navigate life's ups and downs.
on 1 October 2014
Chronic pain sufferer now for over 6 years. Discovered mindfulness meditation a number of years ago but a lot of the books on that subject are not targeted at Western pain sufferers who are trying to live a normal life and hold down a normal job, relationship, friends and family.

The content of the book, the quality of the research, the manner in which the authors approach the subject, the personal stories, the anecdotes and the accompanying audio CD are all top notch quality, truly excellent.

This is one of my favourite books I have read so far on how to manage pain and puts a scientific insight into the undoubtedly hugely beneficial practice of mindfulness meditation in dealing with life with chronic pain.

If you are a pain or illness sufferer you absolutely must buy this book - you owe it to yourself.
on 14 February 2015
I am currently reading this book, and using the accompanying CD to follow the eight-week course described in the book. After 25 years of coping with the pain and fatigue of a chronic illness, I find this book a revelation in understanding how the brain responds to chronic pain, and how we unwittingly can prolong the suffering by resisting or avoiding the physical sensations. The short mindfulness meditations on the CD assist in changing our patterns by being more aware of the body and breath, and developing a kindly, compassionate relationship with ourselves. The programme also includes a focus on pacing, and how to record activity and establish a baseline for stabilising your condition.. I thought I knew all about pacing, but I realise now that I knew very little! This programme requires some patience and commitment - the results so far for me are well worth it, and I intend to continue with mindfulness meditation for the rest of my life.
on 14 July 2014
I tend to be a bit sceptical about these sorts of things, but I bought this with an open mind and I really can't recommend it enough.

The book strips away the more spiritual elements of mindfulness meditation that many may find off-putting, and it roots its approach instead on sound, scientific evidence. It guides you through an eight-week course, at the end of which you can continue with mindfulness independently, mixing and matching the meditations that are best suited for you. All you have to do are two ten-minute meditations per day, plus a habit releaser like patiently watching a kettle boil, but the effects are far-reaching. Most of the things this course teaches you are common sense, but being made to actively readjust your attitudes each day really does begin to make a difference.

I've been suffering from frequent migraines for some time, and I bought this book during a particularly bad period. I can honestly say it has really helped (and is continuing to help) me with my approach to life in general, not just with dealing with the migraines. At its heart, mindfulness is about encouraging you to focus on what's actually happening in the present moment, and appreciate that life is a flow of changing sensations, thoughts and emotions, rather than allowing yourself to get bogged down by every thought or feeling that crosses your mind or body. I'm far from being a zenned-up yogi, but I find myself less weighed down by negative thoughts, and more aware of everything that's happening around me, leaving me more open to appreciate the small, simple pleasures in life.

This truly is a life-changing book!
on 7 November 2014
I know Mindfulness is the buzz word at the moment but this book explains the value of mindfulness. The CD sessions are ideal and I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to have an understanding about the subject.
on 7 March 2016
Arrived quickly and safely, thank you. Was highly recommended as a compliment to another best seller in the range: Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world Paperback – 5 May 2011 by Mark Williams (Author), Dr Danny Penman (Author).
on 9 December 2015
Two months after starting this book I had to have an MRI scan of my brain on account of severe migraines. I got through the half-hour procedure without incident – an amazing feat, given that I am claustrophobic. I have no doubt that it’s this book, and its meditations, that got me through it (Vidyamala’s voice is so wonderfully soothing). The only thing I’d add is that, to really benefit from the book, one needs to set aside more than the suggested eight weeks.
on 17 December 2013
A new and gentle approach to managing chronic pain. Very practical but also some really helpful insights. There is a CD of meditations with it. I use the meditations every day. It has helped enormously.
on 5 July 2014
% stars is NOT enough for this book & CD. Having stayed in Frenchay Hospital following a Head Injury the methods in this book are used to aid recovery, believe me the results are amazing. I used to suffer Headaches and blackouts, which I am now very pleased to say have gone. If you need to relax, remove aches and pains and feel better then this book and cd is a MUST!!!!