Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2013
This writer never fails to put a smile on your face when reading - very loving and excitable - wonderful
on 4 July 2017
Love it
on 19 March 2017
a good read
on 1 September 2013
This book is very much better than the previous one in this series; the hero and heroine are full of energy and very likeable. The hero is blind, and is initially overwhelmed by his apparent helplessness, and no longer able to engage with life .He encounters Mary , a classic put-upon poor relation, and feels obliged to marry her. Because she has always been small and because of her poverty, self -effacing, she is surprised to find that because he treats her with loving kindness she can both become the mistress of a great country estate and restore her husband's self-esteem and devise ways for him to cope with his disabilities. By the end of the book they are both flourishing.
on 6 September 2013
Mary Balogh writes with elegant simplicity, and her believable fairy tales - by which I mean you can count on HEA - are based in character, people modifying their behaviour, difficult circumstances redeemed by character and behaviour, and anything by her is a treat. The new series which I assume will be 7 in all is based on a fine premise, aristocratic military men back in England after the Napoleonic wars, and scarred in one way or another - psychologically, physically - coping with their own feelings of inability to cope, however privileged their circumstances, in an uncaring world, and forming their own Survivors Club. A real pleasure too in a Balogh series is meeting the characters in different circumstances in different novels. She is a mistress of her craft, and I look forward to guaranteed escapism.
Mmmmm. I'm really confused by this one. This is the second book in the survival club and I had enjoyed the first book 'the proposal' - lady Muir story - so I was looking forward to this one but I was disappointed. The characterisation was very weak, the emotions are flat and there are way to many coincidence in this book.

The book tells the story of Vincent Hunt, Lord Darliegh who happen to be blind and Miss Sophia Fry aka the mouse. Lord Darliegh met Sophia under very unusual circumstances but I nevered felt that she was his true love??? There a lot of dialogues about 'making it work' that it I was not sure if the writer trying to convince us or herself. Additionally I don't care what the hero kept saying but the way they got together was wrong. Did I mention that the hero is only 23 year old????? Very very young. He was described as physically strong but HUD dialogue showed an extermally sensitive boy...which is the correct image. Very confusing. I thought he deserved better story and better heroine

I really struggled to finis it and to be happy for the couple but I was not. I'm huge fan of Mary Balogh's books but this is a major let down. Let's he the next book better and pick up the story line again
on 12 September 2013
A lovely gentle, compelling story ,not the run of the mill with a miracle ending. A difficult subject handled with compassion by mary.
on 2 September 2013
ANOTHER FABULOUS REGENCY FROM MARY BALOGH. VISCOUNT DARLEIGH WHO IS BLIND ESCAPES THE CLUTCHES OF HIS MATCHMAKING RELATIVES WHO HAVE LINED UP THE PERFECT YOUNG LADY FOR HIM TO MARRY ONLY TO FALL INTO A BIGGER MATRIMONIAL SNARE - marriage to the dreadful Henrietta March. He is rescued by Sophia Fry known as the mouse because she is so quiet and sits unobtrusively in the corner unnoticed by anyone. Her actions cost her dearly as she is turned out onto the streets by her vengeful RELATIVES who are furious that she has foiled their plans. When Vincent hears of her plight he offers her marriage and after much soul searching she accepts. How these two deeply wounded people find solace and eventually love is the story of the novel.

This is a must read for BALOGH fans and for lovers of the genre.
on 25 January 2014
As usual it was a brilliant read and I would highly recommend to anyone who loves historical romance. Her books are always so hard to put down and this one was no exception! I can't wait for the next one!
on 15 September 2013
I enjoyed this book. Having read Hugo's tale I was anxious to find out what happened to the rest of the 'Club '. I suppose this is less a critique of this particular book and more a general grouse. I find the characters a little too nice. They are always either black or white. They may be allowed the odd imperfection : a limp for instance as long as it is a slight one, a few scattered freckles across a button nose maybe, sometimes a lack of those accomplishments that all ladies of breeding are schooled to have. Occasionally , usually to accompany the lack of the ladylike arts referred to above, a mind! Glasses may be worn but only if they contain clear glass or are being worn by either a blue stocking or a ninny. Our heroines are also distressingly eager to be bedded by near strangers with, or indeed without,benefit of clergy. I realise the mores of our society are different from the period in question but was it really any easier for a woman back then to give herself to a man who was almost a stranger than it would be for me? I can see that she would do so with considerably less fuss but would she derive any more pleasure from the encounter be our hero never so handsome? Oh for a heroine who doesn't collapse like a house of cards at the first touch of a wandering hand or a pair of mobile lips!