Customer reviews

1,133
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 January 2013
An incredibly arrogant book, badly written. Not much content regarding heaven. Refers to god as 'om' like he was is the chosen one. Too many refererences about his medical background using technical speak. Found it really annoying
on 1 April 2013
Dr Eben Alexander discusses many of the hypotheses regarding NDEs with the scientific rigour of a skeptical neurosurgeon. He concludes that none of these hypotheses can explain the facts relating to his own NDE, in which the entire outer portion of his brain had been destroyed by meningitis bacteria - a condition with no previous survivors. Heaven, he says, is a realm beyond the body in which infinite and profound love prevails; it was here that he found himself during his NDE.

There are many important lessons within these pages. When we realize that what lies beyond life in the physical form is infinite and profound love, we must surely ask ourselves what we can do to bring greater awareness of this into our daily living. When we really start to apply it this to our lives we begin to see everything very differently, we do everything differently, and life begins to taste much sweeter.

In addition to this book I also bought Anita Moorjani's book 'Dying to be me', both are compelling reading.
on 7 July 2014
Some of the "technical" detail was a bit hard for me to follow. Otherwise, a good read. Convincing.
on 1 January 2013
I hoped for a more convincing story and was quite disappointed. I imagined that as it is written by a neurosurgeon, there would be a more balanced account of 'neurological' versus 'spiritual.' However, the possible neurological reasons for his experiences are 'brushed aside' with little detail.
on 16 December 2012
I was disappointed with this book. It didn't really offer what it promised. Basically, neurosurgeon, atheist, and loving father contract a virus which puts him into a coma. While in the coma he travels to what we are to believe is heaven. Now, I don't doubt his sincerity regarding his experience. He comes across as having genuinely being redeemed from a closed mind to all but science. The problem I had with his book was he spent too much time talking about the disease he contracted, providing much detail about how the virus attacked his brain. It's obvious he is passionate about his medical profession and wrote beautifully about the detail of the virus. My issue is I wouldn't have minded if that was just a back-drop, but the description of the afterlife, and the reason I bought the book, was tantamount to a conspiracy of silence. He centred on his emotional response to the experience and offered very little detail of the `here after'. For that reason, I'm forced to knock-off 2 stars.
on 10 July 2013
I would be pleased to share this book with everyone I know. Its an easy, interesting read. Yes, I loved it.
on 27 June 2016
Excellent reading. If you are sceptical about God and religion or the afterlife you need to read this book.
on 10 October 2013
Brilliant book, not a reader normally, but, this some how got me fixed, I couldn't put it down. A good read
on 20 July 2015
Thought provoking and easy to read. Gobbled it up in two days. Amazing story and message. Well worth a read
on 15 January 2013
Eben Alexander seems to be a supremely honest searcher for the truth of consciousness. I have bought the book for my children, as I feel that young people are so reluctant to look at the truths of life and death, and older people too. His medical explanations of the coma state are very comforting, as they reinforce my view that consciousness persists during the process of dying, long after conscious reactions seem to have gone. This is something everyone should know, whether coming from a religious or nonreligious background. Some people may find some of the language a bit too "new age", but I think he is dealing with experiences which are very difficult to describe. And there is no doubt that our cultural conditioning affects the way we describe reality. He appears to be a deeply commited Christian, in the good sense of the word, without connecting his experience to a particular religion. So anybody, of any religion or none could profit from reading this book