Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2013
Good to boost confidence in trusting your maternal instincts, but I was disappointed by:

Patchy evidence (some of the author's assertions are referenced, often to fairly poor quality research, sometimes just based on a survey of a few people - this is not evidence! And sometimes just personal opinion.

A large section of the book devoted to lots of emotive text and anecdotes (and no hard evidence) about the hazards of controlled crying. Surely anyone who buys this book has already made the decision not to go that route? Do we really get any benefit from reading these upsetting stories?

good if you're looking for a short book to encourage you to go with your instincts, ans don't mind a very emotive style with loads of anecdotes, no good if you are looking for something with a sound evidence base.
on 15 December 2012
I didn't think to buy any books before having my baby but once she arrived, I was given a parenting book and found that even though it didn't sit right with me, I ended up trying the routines and practises it suggested just because I thought I should.

I decided to just do things my way but often felt guilty that I was doing things that so many experts banded as 'mistakes' or 'bad habits' such as feeding to sleep.

This book however, completely resonated with how I wanted to parent. It gives common sense ideas and suggestions and supports parents in using their instincts and having the confidence to make their own decisions about what is best for their child. I would really recommend this book.
on 1 March 2013
I read this book this year; my son is 3 years old this Feb. I thought this book was well written, it is accessible to all - nothing too difficult to understand however referenced to scientific research where necessary. I felt sad after reading this book; sadness that I wasn't able to read it before I birthed my son. I feel this is the book that was missing from the countless books I'd read on becoming a new mother as it isn't as difficult to read as the Continuum Concept but carries the same message; trust yourself. I also feel it's a perfect read for a new mum when she doesn't necessarily have the strength or time to invest in a book that is difficult to read.
on 25 May 2014
So often we are made to believe a whole lot of inaccurate and un-factual things about our babies and what we "should" and "shouldn't" do with our babies. When to and when not to hold, how to sleep and when etc. Sarah's book empowers parents by giving them information about what is factual and accurate and "normal" about babies. I advocate her gentle approach which makes for calmer babies and truly happy parents, empowering them, giving them facts and permission to parent their children with instinct. I buy it as a pre-natal gift for every first time parent I know. I'm so pleased she's working on a sleep book next.
on 2 October 2012
I am actually sad that I didn't have this wonderful book from the day my daughter was born, I wasted those precious early days worrying about her routine, her sleep, what she was "meant" to be doing, what I was meant to be doing!
This book empowers mothers to trust their own maternal instincts, to watch the baby not the clock. It doesn't tell you that you're a failure as a mother if you don't want to leave your baby to cry, infact it provides support for all the things you are feeling when the world around you seems so fragile. Sarah (author) reassures you that all is ok and quite normal, she reminds us of newborn behaviour and that what society has tricked us into believing is not true and that following your natural instincts is the right and only thing to do!
I will be buying this book for every friend who becomes pregnant.
on 2 April 2013
I can't believe I didn't read this book sooner. To be honest as a first time mum, it's quite easy to get swept up with advice and stuff you read on the internet as well as other so called baby manuals out there. This book really gave me the confidence to just chill out and enjoy being a mother and not worry so much about whether I'm doing the "right" thing. I wish I had found it in the beginning rather than wasting all those first months being upset and worried. I would recommend this to all first time mums, it gives you the confidence and for once, the only book to say trust your instincts!
on 11 May 2015
Id recommend this book to any new mum. Even a baby shower gift. Well done amd thankyou sarah ockwell Smith
on 16 April 2013
A lovely book that helps new mums to see they are good enough and boosts confidence. Also has a really helpful resources section in the back.
on 27 February 2013
Thank you so much for writing this book. I wish I had heard about it before my little one arrived. I had gotten to a point where I felt I was failing as a new mum because people were constantly asking if he was 'sleeping through' or in a routine, telling me I would spoil him if I 'just keep picking him up when he cries'. This book made me realise that we're normal. His need to be with me and my instinct are normal! Full of great tips and research to back it all up. Thank you so much for giving me confidence again.
on 15 December 2014
I bought and read this book when my baby was 3.5 months, I wish I read it sooner. I was still feeling quite overwhelmed with all the information and advise and getting quite stressed that I was doing all the wrong things. Reading this made me feel much more relaxed about trusting my instinct, I would recommend this to any new Mum trying to find their feed