Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2007
A Reader - I applaud your review, it's very informative and I cannot really add much to it, except that as an avid fan of this series, this book was truly needed as I found the Dream Hunter and Dark Side of the Moon lacking in some aspects, and as a fan of Acheron, this book finally answers some serious questions!

I have always been fond of Katra, and was relieved to find that Sherri wrote her story and gave her the heroine role. Sin is a troubled ex sumerian god whos powers have been taken away by the incorrigle Artemis (who I can't help but love - sorry!), but we learn more about Artemis and Acheron's past (oh yes... very interesting) and we see more of Apollymi in this book too which I loved.

This book is a fan's book. In other words, don't just read this if you have never picked up a Dark Hunter book before, you won't have a clue what is going on! I only emphasise how good this series is, and I recommend it to anyone so please start from the beginning. You can find the reading order at: [...]

Bedroom acrobats was also slightly toned down in this book, which worked well as the story itself was a real focal point, and I think it was needed.

Acheron is just too adorable in this book and you fall in love with him all over again. Any Simi fans out there? You will see her without Ash in most of this book, looks like he's letting her spread her wings a little more, with the help of her Sister Xirena.

Sin is a wonderful male lead, he finds it hard to trust and like all the other Dark Hunters, has a troubled past but him and Katra fit well together and the sarcasm worked in her role as she does have god powers and so I found them rather funny instead of tacky and lacking in character, as she has the muscle to back it up,(Unlike Susan did in Dark Side of the Moon).

We meet new demons in this book, and we also meet the wonderful Dream Hunter trio and...... HADES! 'squeeeellll', (I know, I'm a kid, can't help it) The only person missing in this book who I wanted to read more about and see where he was at was Nick, but he is finally going to get his own story anyway so I guess it's no biggy.

Acheron's book is out 2008, so if a midnight queue opportunity arises, I'll be there!

This is a Fantastic book, still reeling over it, so in that case it gets a worthy 5 stars!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2007
Sin may be on the Dark-Hunter payroll but he certainly isn't part of the DH brotherhood. An ancient Sumerian God of fertility and the moon, his powers were drained and absorbed by everyone's favourite Goddess Artemis 3000 years ago and he has since spent countless centuries plotting his revenge against her.

Katra Agrotera, handmaiden to Artemis, has been "asked" by the goddess to kill Sin after he steals an artefact capable of draining a God's powers. Tracking him to Las Vegas, Kat is left disgusted when she finds him chopping off heads and burning bodies; unaware he battles the previously unheard of Gallu demons. Sin in turn believes Kat to be none other than Artemis herself and so knocks her unconscious and restrains her; determined to force her to return his powers as without them he stands little chance of averting an imminent Armageddon.

I did have reservations concerning this book after receiving its early previews and discovering Sin would be matched to Kat; an immortal who has appeared in several earlier DH books. I always assumed she would end up with the wonderful Acheron; however SK certainly clears up my completely incorrect interpretation of their relationship as well as expanding on those between Kat and Artemis and also the Destroyer herself; Apollymi. The new setting of Las Vegas is definitely Sin's City as he takes on new enemies the Gallu demons (very much like vampires who can infect humans with a single bite) and battles to avert the impending release of the seven demon sisters; the Dimme. It appears even the Pantheons will not survive let alone humankind if they break free of their eternal prison.

"Devil May Cry" is definitely on par with earlier books in this series such as "Night Embrace", "Seize the Night" and "Dance with the Devil". The dialogue is witty and the plot line incredibly fast paced; moving from one battle to another, with brief but passionate bedroom stops as Kat and Sin's relationship deepens. We are also introduced to further great characters including Xypher (a resurrected Skoti demon,) a fellow Skotos Kytara (a friend of Kats), Damien, (Sin's Apollite casino manager) and Khish (a somewhat immortal human). I now eagerly await the release of "Upon on Midnight Clear" (due for pub. Oct 07); a book to feature the first Dream Hunter heroine, and there will be two further DH novels released in 2008. The first is the story of Xypher, a Skoti demon who reminded me heavily of Zarek (before he met Astrid) and the second will be Acheron's story (finally!). I'm now going to have to reread (again) the previous DH books as SK introduces Acheron's destined match in one of them. Now who could she be......?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 November 2014
Sherrilyn Kenyon does it again with another fantastic book in her Dark Hunter series. I loved this story in particular as it revealed a number of relationships between some of the series' most prolific characters, including Katra's true parentage.

The two main characters, Kat and Sun are strong and vividly painted, with a past that has defined them. And for the first time, SK introduces a little Sumerian mythology into the mix, bringing a host of new gods and demons to help keep the series fresh. It definitely works. This book was one of the most enjoyable in the series so far.
on 30 July 2007
The latest in the DH books, and this time we meet Sin. We also learn more about Katra and Ash, which can only add to the anticipation of Ash's book which is currently due to be released next year.

Sin isn't your average Dark Hunter; he is in fact an ex-god. This book is about his struggle agains the previously unheard of gallu demons, and of course learning to trust others once more.

I'd say this wasn't quite the normal DH book. We're introduced to another panthenon and more horrible and dangerous demons.

A good read, and I'm sure all DH and SK fans will enjoy it.
on 12 August 2007
I have been a big fan of the Dark Hunter books since discovering Night Pleasures. Devil May Cry introduces a new hero, Sin and matches him with Kat who appeared in a couple of the earlier books. Kat is a good feisty heroine although as an immortal, her powers help get them out of a lot of tight corners. Sin is a fun lead but not a stand out like some earlier ones, he is bit too "nice" allround with not the depth that, for example, Zarek or Vane had. There was less of the humour that I found in some earlier books and some readers may find the throw away sarcastic remarks that the playes say, usually in the midst of a fight, a bit annoying. There are a host of new characters, some which will have their own book like Xpher.
More is learned about Ash and his family, which I am not so sure is a good thing as one of the things I love about Ash is his mysterious past. His book is due out in 2008.
All in all, a good read that moves things along but not a standout.
on 18 August 2007
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series of books has been extremely successful and has now stretched to this, the twelfth instalment. However for me this wasn't a very satisfying story taken on its own and is probably one for long-time fans of the series rather than new readers.

The Dark Hunter series brings together various ancient gods (Greek gods and, in this story, the gods of ancient Sumer too) who fight amongst themselves. There are also various demon and other creatures that cause mayhem and the Dark Hunters' role is to protect humanity.

This story focuses far more on the supernatural element. We meet Sin, one of the ancient Sumerian gods, who has been carrying out a one-man mission to prevent global annihilation for thousands of years. He holds a huge grudge against the goddess Artemis who stripped him of his powers. However when Artemis sends her daughter, Katra, to kill Sin she discovers the work that he is doing to save humanity and joins him in it. Of course Sin isn't aware of who she is initially and even when he finds out she's the daughter of Artemis there are more secrets that she holds from him, things that he might not be able to handle.

There are a lot of secrets in this story. The secret of Kat's existence, unknown to her father Acheron, is one; there are many other things revealed as the book progresses but the most notable thing about this book is the enormous cast of characters and different gods, demons, races. For someone who hasn't read all the other stories there was far too much going on in this story and the backstory was lamentably thin. As the story continued there were more and more supernatural beings added to the mix with their apparently limitless powers and it became extremely difficult to follow the underlying story, that of Kat and Sin. Our hero and heroine were slightly disappointing in that their characters didn't really develop beyond an attraction to each other and I didn't feel particularly sympathetic to them.

Of course when the big secret is unveiled, the one that could separate them forever... it was rather a damp squib. Their mission to save the world is important but they seemed to get sidetracked periodically - including by the bedroom - and the momentum of the plot was rather jerky. Fight scenes are over quickly, people are able to flash from place to place instantly and the gods powers seem to always encompass just what they need to get out of a particular situation. Overall this was a very disappointing book and the cast list was far too wide for someone who hasn't kept up with the series to understand what's going on.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book, [...] © Helen Hancox 2007
on 2 July 2008
This is one of my favourite stories that she's written so far. Finally, you get some background into Ash's life before he became a Dark Hunter, but only a hint. It has loads of surprises and villains in store, as well as the very steamy scenes between Sin and Kat - I recommend reading this one.
on 1 February 2014
I love the Dark Hunter series and I cannot find words to say how much I enjoy reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books. My advice -read one and make your own mind up!! I don't think you can fail to like.
I was excited when I found out that Katra was the heroine of Devil May Cry, I've always liked her character and was very intrigued to find out more about her connection to Artemis and why she is so willing to serve such a horrible goddess. I have to say I loved finding out more about Kat's background, there were so many surprises in her past and finding out who her parents were just blew my mind! Some major reveals right there and they're going to have a knock on effect throughout the series. There is a lot going on in this story, we get a lot of background on upcoming major characters, we get answers to some of the questions we've been asking for the last few books and my anticipation is definitely higher than ever when it comes to carrying on with the series.

I love that Kat is such a fierce heroine, she has her own powers and she has a strong sense of justice. We've seen her protecting others in previous books, even when she has to go against Artemis to do it and I knew she would be a heroine I'd enjoy reading about. Sin has every reason to hate Kat, just for her connection to Artemis since Artemis is the one who stole his powers and made him lose his god status but although he captures Kat just to get revenge he quickly realises that she's as much a victim as he is. I loved seeing him come to terms with the fact that he'd have to choose between his revenge and keeping Kat in his life, it isn't easy for him to put something he has dreamed of for so long to one side but he knows that Kat is worth any price. Kat feels terrible about what happened to Sin, especially when she realises that she played a role in his misfortune thanks to the lies Artemis told her. She is determined to make things right even if it means losing Sin forever.

I loved getting to see more of Simi and her sister Xirena in this story, the two of them never fail to make me laugh and I loved seeing them so protective of Kat. I also really enjoyed seeing a further glimpse into Ash's life, things that have been kept secret from him for such a long time are suddenly revealed and I can't wait to see how he responds to those revelations. He seemed to take the news quite calmly but I have a feeling we're going to see more of his angry side once he's had time to take it all in.

Sherrilyn Kenyon adds even more to her world building in this book, we learn about the Gallu demons who Sin has spent so many years fighting, we get to see more of both The Destroyer and Artemis and we are also introduced to a whole new set of enemies who are plotting to end the world. Things seem to be gearing up towards an epic showdown and I can't wait to find out what happens next.
on 29 January 2013
A 'Save the Word' scenario with 'our hero' Sin running a strange casino managed by a Daimon who is one of the good guys. Can you get your head around this?
Add to that the introduction of Kat, daughter of Artemis and Acheron (but no-one is supposed to know, least of all Acheron!) and you have enough intrigue, misinformation, betrayal, action and heartbreak to satisfy the most demanding Dark-Hunter fan.