Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2005
What do you get when a daemon-hunting party girl meets up with the second most-hated dark hunter in 2 millenia? You get fireworks on a petrol fire. To say their relationship is stormy is like saying Hamlet is moody. It's just the tip of the iceberg. Most of your favorite characters make an appearance. Simi goes through a teen-age rebellion phase which sets Ash's temper ablaze and a character we love pays the price of his perfidy.
I give this book 4 stars because there's too many characters and too many mini-subplots that draw your attention away from Tabitha and Valerius. I guess Kenyon is feeling around for which characters to highlight next in their own stories.
However, you do get insight into Valerius's true nature as well as Tabitha's interesting family. This story runs the emotional gamut. There's laugh-out-loud moments, heartbreaking tragedy and the glorious discovery of love and humanity in between.
Run, don't walk, to your local booksellers and get this book. You'll hate to see it end.
on 10 April 2007
I have become a Dark-Hunter addict over the last month and I can't stress enough how good this series is.

Originally my favourite book so far in this series was 'Dance with the Devil' with Zarek, I found him such an amazing character, with a very dark and painful past (like most of the dark-hunters) but his really reached out to me the most.

I wasn't sure if I could take to Valerius because of Zarek's past but I was so surprised. I didn't think I'd like Tabby either as she annoyed me in Night Pleasures, but OMG, she really did make me laugh and I could see why Sherrilyn gave her her own story.

This book in my opinion is darker than the others (so far), but it does take up until the last 3 chapters to really get to a head and trust me, you will be on the edge of your seat. I had to keep reminding myself to breath out while reading as it literally took my breath away.

It's also refreshing to see Acheron struggle too in this book, twice we see him suffer and as much as I adore Acheron, I think the added extra information about him was a necessity. He is my favourite character out of the lot of them, but he makes mistakes and I really need Sherrilyn to hurry up and write his back-story and novel. If you LOVE Nick's character, than be prepared for a surprising event!

You see more of the other characters in this book too which is probably why so far it is my favourite. It was nice to see more of Amanda and Kyrian and even Bride and Vane make a cameo.

I devoured this book in one day, as all the others, but this one plays on my mind the most.

Read this series!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2014
Seize the Night is the tale of Valerius; the elusive Dark Hunter who's always come across as arrogant and condescending, as though he considers himself better than others.

When he runs chest first in the stake of Tabitha Devereaux, the last thing he expects is for her to nurse him better and show him kindness. After all in all his two thousand centuries, more than half the Dark Hunters he knows would happily stake him and leave him to rot in the street. But then Tabitha is not like anyone else Valerius has ever known.

As Tabitha discovers the true reasons behind Valerius's aloof and often seemingly cold behaviour she becomes fiercely protective of this misunderstood immortal. As they work together against the evil forces threatening her family, Valerius struggles to protect Tabitha as well, and to find acceptance from her family, which includes her brother-in-law and his long-term enemy Kyrian, who died a brutal death at the hands of Valerius's grandfather.

The love story between these two characters was everything wonderful that we've come to expect from the Dark Hunter series, but the ending was wrapped up a little quickly for my liking, with not enough time spent on the relationships with other Dark Hunters that Valerius has always had difficulty with.

But regardless this was still a great story in the Dark Hunter series and has left me eager for the next one on the shelf. Definitely recommended for fan of the series!
on 22 April 2015
Having read the previous books in the Dark Hunter Series expected this to be about the same. Glad to say it was more, as I was ready to give up reading them. Tabitha and Val are brilliant, I had such a laugh reading the book at their exploits and found myself pulled into their story so much I wanted to yell at other characters (won't say why spoilers). Going to give this series another chance, fingers crossed.
on 9 June 2014
I really wasn't looking forward to reading Val's book the second time around. But I also didn't want to do any of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books such a huge disservice by missing any. I'm so glad I did though because it was laugh-out-loud funny in many places. Also I was reminded that Val is really a pretty decent guy underneath all his pompous show. The relationship between him and Tabby is brilliantly written and executed.
on 15 March 2012
I actually really liked 'Seize the night,' I wasn't expecting to like Valerius, whose stern/prim behaviour was probably a bit much to be honest. I've been told Romans gave their wives more freedom than Greeks and that the Roman culture in general was more scandalous, so I don't understand some of his behaviour. However, I did like him and I understood that he couldn't show fear etc. since his father had beat the life out of him for doing so. Tabitha is probably one of the better female characters, she can stand up for herself but isn't superwoman (someone has to jump in and save her skin once in a while). The plot is good, we see Desiderius again and the book is more complex than a few of others have been, I felt we were back to the Kenyon in 'Dance with the Devil.' We also find out loads more about Acheron, which is a bit confusing but will probably reveal more with his book. Overall a good read, not all that taxing but if you do like the Dark Hunter series this is a good installment! Also, less sexy time in this one which I think was a good move because I was getting bored of the frequency in other books. :)
on 28 June 2013
Love! Love!! Love!!! this book. I loved Val (stiff upper-lip always in control) and Tabitha (wild and uncouth) they do say opposites attract and that is true. I loved the way they were first introduced; a way to a man is through his heart! and I love the way Tabitha went for Val without feeling bashful none of that silly games that we sometimes play.I love the way Sherrilyn pulled us into their story.

This was a very good book( I read it twice) I loved that we had a chance to see other characters from the previous books. I was a little sad during his wedding but Zarek made up for it.(notice how many times I used the word love!)

I hope the other book are as good as this.
on 17 February 2014
Love the Dark Hunter series. If you enjoy one no doubt you will have to read them all. They are difficult to put down once you are hooked and you just have to move on to the we next. Better however to start at the beginning of the series although each book can be read individually.
on 7 August 2014
Sherrilyn Kenyon never fails to deliver. As expected, a witty, sexy and eminently readable addition to her series. If you haven't tried entering the Dark-Hunter world, don't delay any longer - it's magic!
on 18 April 2007
For fans out there. This is the story where we get to find out the act of vengeance Zarek carried out when he became a Dark-Hunter. And we see that he's being a mean ol' god when it comes to dishing out rubbish to Valerius.

Anyway. Valerius and Tabby plus a cast of thousands. I liked Tabby...an excellent heroine. Valerius is the usual DH with issues that are incredibly trivial considering he's had a generally good life as a human. They have a nice enough romance. And I cannot emphasize enough how ditzy the story is...it veers from comic to traumatic within a few chapters. I could never figure out the conclusion of the gods part of the plot...the Stryker character just fizzles out. But its all very interesting for a while. We meet a lot of old friends in this story; Ash, Simi, the 2000-year old greek Kyrian who seems to have metaphorphosed into your typical working-class american male somehow. And we find out what happened to Nick. Strangely this is the first DH story that I've read that features some real tragedy. But then Kenyon ties up nearly all the loose ends very nicely in her usual fashion.

The second best DH in my opinion...Dance with the Devil is better.