The Witness
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2017
I feel a little torn only scoring this a 3 star and I'll explain why, the best I can!

The story in short - super intelligent Elizabeth witnesses a Russian Mafia murder at the age of 17. She gets put into witness protection which doesn't quite go according to plan. In her late 20s she finds herself trying to live a normal life as Abigail, in a small town with a bunch of nosey neighbours. One in particular is the chief of police, Brookes. Their relationship grows stronger and she realises she has to face her past in order to live her future.

This is my first Nora Roberts book. I'd heard she writes about cracking romances so as a lover of a good romance, I had great expectations for romance - and to be fair, I got it. But the romance was a little but clumsy and awkward.

Elizabeth/ Abigail is, as I mentioned, super intelligent and socially, she comes across as a misfit. So her unlikely and relatively unexpected pairing with Julie (an old high school friend) is hard to work with. Similarly, her relationship with Brookes comes on a bit sudden for someone who a) isn't great in relationships and b) is trying to keep a low profile.

Her witnessing of a multiple murder is clearly key to the whole story, but it felt a little hurried, and pretty much ignored between the age of 17 and 29. There's very little to help build the gap of 12 years. I felt I wanted to know more about her; about how she's put her intelligence to good use, about how hard her life might have been in those 12 years. I wanted to know more about her dog, Bert. I wanted to know more about how much the Russians has tried to look for her and any near misses. Additionally, there is no real description of how she looks in her 20s (or it was fairly short and I missed it!) and I missed having that picture in my mind of her. I struggled to like her very much and I wasn't much of a fan of Brookes either. I thought he had quite the ego and she absolutely did not, and I couldnt piece in my mind how they would get together quite so quickly. I couldn't empathise with them much, and couldn't be happy for her when Elizabeth/ Abigail was happy, yet I really wanted to be. I think my favourite character was Bert the dog!

The ending sadly for me was the biggest disappointment. I felt the last couple of chapters were very rushed and lacked the depth some of the rest of the book gave. It just...ended.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the story overall and I enjoyed it mostly. I just couldn't quite love it. I'd be tempted to read another Nora Roberts book though as I do like her style of story telling.
on 13 October 2015
and Brooks Gleason where have you been all my life? This is a brilliant story with a strong female heroine who pulsate your heartstrings but who you can't help but admire totally. When she meets Brooks Gleason her carefully ordered world begins to wrinkle round the edges as he gradually becomes a part of her life. They are equally intrigued by the other and abigail struggles to contain her feelings for him. She has kept her life to herself and the lovely Bert for so long. How can she let go and begin to trust? The events that have brought her to the pass are truly horrific and continue to stalk her. Can she open up to Brooks and become whole and healed?

A fantastic read!
on 28 August 2012
Every year before my Holiday I return to see what Nora has for me this Summer. I can't help myself, I read so many different types of books and despite peoples surprise at this selection I am drawn in every time.

Nora Roberts has an uncanny knack of just making you seek more.... keep turning the pages, I have to persuade myself to turn the light out!

The Witness didn't leave me lacking, the leading character Elizabeth/Abigail for reasons quite clear in the book is at first odd, prickly and indeed downright rude. But I still loved her and continued to be intrigued by her oh so huge brain that demonstrates a lack of understanding for common culture and indeed humour in conversation. I've seen this myself in the highly intelligent and the fact that Ms Roberts chose to highlight it amused me.

The leading man... what I can I say. He can hoe my garden anytime. Obviously there's more to it than that but if you wanted to know about the plot then you could read the blurb.

Another great story, don't be put off by the "Romance" type casting... still an interesting read with allot of insight into the survival of a women on the run.
on 17 October 2012
What can you say about a Nora Roberts book, other than...I loved it !!! In my eyes Nora cannot write a bad book.

I have bought and read everything that she has written and never been disappointed. Great characters, beautiful towns and scenery, with always the right balance of romance and suspense.

My only negative in the case of The Witness, is that the price for a Kindle download is way too high for most people and especially pensioners like myself. This doesn't make sense when it is simply a download although I do appreciate the fact that it is still her hard work!

I prefer to read on my Kindle as I have arthritis and find it hard to hold a book for long periods but made an exception in this case as, having read the Kindle sample, I really wanted to read this novel and I got the paperback for less money.

I have read other reviews and some are quite negative which I don't understand but for me this was one of Nora's best! So thank you once again Ms Roberts for several hours of delightful reading, long may you continue.

I recommend this book to everyone and have a long list of friends and family waiting to borrow my copy.
on 30 March 2015
It was gripping at the start, but became pretty boring towards the end. The build up was slow but gaining momentum, however the ending was anti-climatic. The 'humour' or the constant innuendos from the cop was more like something a horny teenage boy would say rather than romantic. I found Abigail frustrating most of the time and Brooks irritating; but by far, the dog Bert was about the only interesting bit in the book.
The story/plot sounded really good, just a shame the book didn't live up to what I was expecting.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2012
Recently, NR has been a bit hit-and-miss for me - I very much disliked her Bridal Quartett; and the Inn trilogy didn't really start off very well for me either. Then I bought `The Witness' and I must say I liked it mostly. I enjoyed the storyline; I liked the main characters. The way the hero was persistently not allowing the heroine to brush him off and her futile attempts to do so; the hero's mother; the secondary characters - very well drawn and likeable. I also liked the secondary storyline about the trouble at the hotel with the local `bigshot' who believes he can get away with anything.

I probably would have loved the book and given it 5 stars, if I weren't a regular viewer of the TV series `Bones'. The way Ms Roberts characterises the heroine reminds me too much of the character of Dr Temperance Brennan in the series; from the complete lack of knowledge of popular culture such as films, music etc. to the utter lack of social skills and the way of taking everything that is said as literal.
on 21 April 2015
When Elizabeth Fitch defies her mother, for the first time in her 16 years, she couldn't have imagined the repercussions. Caught up in the Russian mafia, her friend casually murdered in front of her, she goes on the run for 12 years. Changing her identity regularly, and earning an excellent living developing security systems, she finally comes to rest in a small town in the Ozarks. She meets a great guy who refuses to be brushed off, and is determined to help her. This is Nora Roberts at her best, insightful and believable with no mawkish sentiment. Great read!
on 18 June 2013
I might be doing this novel a slight injustice, because I purchased it right after finishing NR's 'The Search' which has ended up being my favourite NR novel of all time. As a result, 'The Witness' simply did not compare. I found the initial premise of this book rather promising, and had high hopes for it. The female protagonist ist easy to identify with and Nora portrays her character development exceptionally well. But the story begins to drag in places once one is about half-way through the story. The initial chemistry between the protagonists failed to grip me as their relationship progressed. I was hoping for it to unfold more, but felt that I was waiting in vain. Nevertheless, I did not regret buying this book and any die-hard NR fan is certainly going to find it worth while.
on 30 June 2014
The product of a specially chosen sperm donor and a very controlling, unmotherly mother, Elizabeth's life consists of schedules and lists..... until she decides to rebel. The resulting fallout of her actions, means she has to change her life completely and learn the hard lessons of how difficult it is to learn to trust any other human beings. The constant danger means that she can't abandon the rigid scheduling started by her mother, but now uses them to keep her alive. This book was well written and keeps the interest to the end.
on 26 June 2013
Until this I was a virgin when it came to Nora Roberts' books. I spotted it in the supermarket, the cover jumped out at me, I read the blurb and came home and downloaded it.

I have nothing to compare it with, but I really enjoyed it. With romance, suspense, surprises, a wonderful hero and a leading lady that you grow to like and understand throughout the course of the book, I was impressed and couldn't put it down.

I'll definitely be reading more of her books and recommend if you after a romance with a bit more substance to the storyline.