Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 January 2016
This is another in the Harmony, Arcane and Dreamlight series' and I would recommend that if you haven't read the earlier books you do so before reading this one.
Marlowe Jones is the newly appointed head of J&J (Jones and Jones) a psychic detective agency with a long history and an association with the arcane going back to 19th Century Earth. Adam Winters is the unexpected newly appointed head of the Frequency City Guild. They join forces to find an old Winters family heirloom, to save both Adam's sanity and the underworld. Adventure and romance ensues.
There are many familiar tropes in this tale, the cute dust bunny, the unknown enemy, the family pressures, various psychic talents and more. It's an easy book to read and it kept my attention throughout but there are no surprises or twists and nothing to make this stand out. I enjoyed it for what it is, and give it 3.5/5 stars.
on 19 May 2011
I've been a fan for years of J A KRENTZ and her other identities - Amanda Quick/ Jayne Castle - even way back as Stephanie James. I was really looking forward to reading Midnight Crystal but have to say I was really disappointed in it. I felt no interest in the fate of hero or heroine and quite frankly for me the suspense wasn't there - no real mystery or clues to point to villain either - he seemed to me to have been roped in as an afterthought in order to end the story. I enjoyed all the other 'Harmony' stories and the ' Arcane' ones too but this was well below her usual standard. It lacked mystery, suspense or even romance - a few 'sexy' encounters doesn't cut it if there is no sense of chemistry or feeling between the hero and his heroine. The other characters made no real impact- we didn't get any feeling for them or their parts in the story. It was as if they were there to fill out a few pages of the book. On this showing I would not feel any desire to read more by the author - which is a pity given her previous form. I hope she returns to form with her next book.
on 2 January 2011
I really enjoyed this book. This book like the rest of the Harmony series is set on Harmony a world apart from Earth where travellers were stuck. This world was originally built by aliens who have since disappeared and humans have taken over the structures on the planet and built their own towns and cities.

The story takes place about 200 years in the future and people have been on this planet for those 200 years. If you enjoy the paranormal this is definitely a book for you. In this story the member of the Jones family is the female lead and she must save the heir to the Winters line! The book is excellently written with an strong romance and suspense theme. The book has many twists and turns and doesn't end in the usual quick happy ever after. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 2 March 2011
I like the Jayne Castle books very much, and I really liked the lamp series to date. This book didn't disappoint. The book was fast paced and engaging and the result of the activation of the last crystal was clever. I was almost sad that this was the last lamp book, but I look forward to reading other books by 'Jayne Castle'. More Harmony books please!
on 19 December 2014
Another one in the series of Harmony. I love they way we have gone from Amanda Quicks Jones and Jones into the future. It's like reading about them and then they are mentioned in another book like a family history. I have quite fallen in love with the Dust Bunnies, who all have their own little personality. Lets Rez Up and follow.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2010
This is the last in the Arcane offshoot trilogy about the Winters family. This is set on the futeristic planet Harmony.

It's not the best in the trilogy, in my opinion the second book was the best. I found this a little disappointing. If you've read the other two you'll know what to expect. Nicholas Winters in the 17C created a psychic lamp, in creating it he went mad, cursed the descendants of his rival, Jones, and reckoned that one or some of his descendants would turn into multi-talents and go mad. Nightmares and halucinations being the first indication of multiple talents and madness. The lamp needs both a Winters and a dreamscape female to use it. Every time it's been used before, the dark crystal hasn't worked. However, Nicholas Winters has set it so that when the crystal works, the Jones family will be anhialated(sp?).

The lamp is now on Harmony and has been stolen again. The new Guild chief is experiencing nightmares and hallucinations, along comes the new head of Jones and Jones Agency; a woman and a powerful dreamscape reader.

The dark crystal itself is not really the main part of the story as it turns out.

Enjoyable, but not great. I'm hoping that JAK will leave Arcane behind now and go on to write some other novels. They are getting very samey.
on 28 March 2013
Very similar to the other two in the series, this is in fact the last one of the trilogy. I found the setting (on a different planet) distracting. I would have preferred a short synopsis of the events leading up to the story helpful. After that the book followed the formula of the other two.
on 19 February 2014
Definitely a good read. Combination of romance and thriller. Will definitely read more from this author. Would recommend to anyone wanting a lighter read who enjoys a thriller with some romance.
on 29 April 2013
Yet another brilliant Arcane Society book by Jayne Ann Krentz. I am a confirmed fan of all of these esoteric romances. I would certainaly recommend them.
on 10 July 2013
As always never disappoints, fascinating read, hard to put down. Would like more books about Arcane Society. Would recommend to all.